5.0 out of 5 stars Just Great
Published 12 months ago by David Milliern

2.0 out of 5 stars CD > Book
I agree with Andrew T. Fyfe's review that CD is better than the book.

Published on September 16, 2009 by Loafers

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Great, February 5, 2014
This review is from: A Concise Introduction to Logic (Hardcover)
Hurley’s logic is simply the best first-order logic book I have encounter, to date. Potential buyers should definitely get the tenth edition onward, or at least the ninth edition, otherwise, the book is quite different and the formatting, for one, is considerably poorer. Not only is the arrangement of the book aesthetically appealing and easy to work with, the formatting makes for easy learning. I did have an outstanding professor, when I took my logic course, but I definitely believe this book could be used without an instructor. About a year later, after having read the book, I used it again for preparation for a metalogic course, and it worked for me just as well as when I had the first time, with an instructor.

The book covers pretty much everything I have seen covered in an undergraduate first-order logic course. The book begins with informal fallacies, works through a great deal of syllogistic and medieval logic, and moves on up to natural deduction, and so on. The book, I think, tries to adhere to a chronology of development of logic, as it was in history, but, where efficacious, Hurley has placed the most pertinent ideas together for maximized umph. The problems help the reader develop simpler skills first, before moving on to harder ones in that section. In this respect, the book is very well organized, each problem eliciting for one more new skill, once the previous one has been answered. At least half of the answers are in the back of the book, so, again, and instructor is not absolutely necessary. This book, also, does not take long to go through, which is a feat for a technical book of this kind. An adept, with some dedication, can make it through this book in a month’s time, I believe, and I feel that most students of average intelligence will be able to assimilate the vast majority of its content in four months’ time (i.e., a semester’s study).

Recommended to all, and I think any high-schooler (or anyone familiar with the abstract concept of a “variable,” perhaps middle-schoolers) upward would find tremendous value in this text. If you choose to read one book on logic, I think this would be the one I recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Great, February 6, 2014

2.0 out of 5 stars CD > Book, September 16, 2009
This review is from: A Concise Introduction to Logic (Hardcover)
I agree with Andrew T. Fyfe's review that CD is better than the book.

The book is unclear and makes it more complicated than it needs to be. I found myself many times saying to myself it would be much easier if this part was written or explained in another way. Also the questions at the end of each section don't have answers, which is VERY BAD. How are you suppose to learn when you don't know if you're right or wrong (The questions are hard, so it isn't something you can figure out once you've chosen an answer.)?

On the other hand, the CD covers everything the book purports to cover, except much clearer!!! Examples are given immediately after a topic is introduced and problems after examples. Answers to the problems are given instantaneously with an explanation why it is so. Plus you have a female reading to you so it's easier to focus, where as in the book, you easily lose track or lost focus of a difficult topic.

Conclusion:
Book Bad.
CD Good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very well laid out, September 17, 2010
Alex PD (Michigan, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Concise Introduction to Logic (Hardcover)
This is a very well laid out book and its supplemental online resources provide an excellent method for increasing understanding on each chapter of the book.

Tip: If your access code has or ends with an asterisk (*) it is part of the code, and not a symbol to indicate a foot note! I was puzzled for half a day, trying to figure out why my code was not getting accepted until I realized that the asterisk was part of the code!

3.0 out of 5 stars ... when I received it but the work isn't too bad!, November 7, 2014
This review is from: A Concise Introduction to Logic (Hardcover)
It was definitely a bit beat up when I received it but the work isn't too bad!

5.0 out of 5 stars Book Review, December 23, 2010
This book is set up and easy to follow. The examples and concepts from the chapters give plenty of examples to learn the concepts. Also, the examples in the end of chapter will give you extra practice, and you will learn the concepts quickly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, October 18, 2014
This review is from: A Concise Introduction to Logic (Hardcover)
Awesome to the point book. I'm reading it for fun

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, August 13, 2014
perfect book, very clean, great price

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, November 14, 2014
Okay, purchased it for class...

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, January 7, 2015
great

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

A Concise Introduction to Logic
A Concise Introduction to Logic by Patrick J. Hurley (Hardcover - September 26, 2007)
Used & New from: $20.00