4.0 out of 5 stars Huh?
Published 3 months ago by Brian

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
The story tends to exaggerate, yet the author presented a well-structured storyline
Published 3 months ago by Daniel Ku

4.0 out of 5 stars Huh?, September 17, 2014
This review is from: Condor and the Crown (Condor One Series Book 5) (Kindle Edition)
This is a general review of the entire Condor Series. I basically like the concept of the story about a gay president and his lover that was his secret service agent. What I found to be strange in these books was the way the characters related to each other. The King of England is the main character, David Windsor's cousin and he refers to him as "cousin" all the time in the dialog. I don't think the way the characters relate to each other is how people actually talk. I also have an issue with the 14 year old kid the two of them adopt. We're told in the story that Jack is a streetwise 14 year old, however there is another time when the terrorist that kidnaps Jack says that he is 12. Then one of the characters refers to Jack as their 'little boy.' I don't know of many who refer to their teenaged son as a 'little boy.' It comes across as creepy. Condor and the Crown has what I assume to be a picture of Jack on the cover and he looks as if he's about 8 years old. There are some editing issues at play here. Another problem I have is with the timeline of the story. It leads the reader to assume that it is taking place in current times. David Windsor is elected president in the first book and he takes over the Presidency from president Scalia. I assumed Scalia to be a fictitious version of President Bush and President Windsor to be kind of a fictitious Obama. However in the later books, the author mentions the fact that the US has already had a black president. Then the author mentions that President Victoria Jackson who gets elected after President Windsor is in office when Bin Laden and Quadaffi are killed. Huh? I guess it is the author's right to create the story that's in his head, but I like some truth to the story. And don't even get me started about the King of England authorizing commando raids or the feasibility of an ex-president who is now an ambassador being allowed to go on a raid to rescue his son. Not likely! Overall, the story was interesting to me and I enjoyed it, but it did seem overly fluffy. It makes me want to send a resume to Dreamspinner Press because they need an editor.

4.0 out of 5 stars ... the whole series I can honestly say it gets better as it goes along, September 24, 2014
Having read the whole series I can honestly say it gets better as it goes along. The characters become richer and the stories more in depth. I would recommend the series even with the problems I found. If you can overlook them, and I did, I believe you will enjoy it immensely!
Problem #1
At the end of book 3 it is stated they are moving to Palm Springs Ca. to their new home.
At the beginning of Book 4 they are moving into their new home in Cape May, New Jersey.
Problem #2
Jack, the son is said to be 14 when he is adopted in book 4
In book 5, during a kidnapping he suddenly is 12
In book 6 he is suddenly older again and talking about dating, hot boys etc.
A good beta reader should have noticed these discrepancies as should a good editor. There are some less glaring problems with language, but the stories are good and enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great series...lite reading..., April 14, 2014
The entire condor series was a pleasure to read. I have read many of John Simpson's series and they are a great way to spend an hour or two. Cheers!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect love story series!, May 19, 2013
Well written, great action, great love story! I love this series. I have the whole set. Great author. I hope he writes more political love stories.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Entertaining, April 4, 2012
I have read many of John Simpson's books and all of the Condor books. I really love his technical knowledge with the security and how things are run at the white house, the politics (not that I am an expert in any of these things). The only thing that really bothered me about this book was that Jack (their adopted son) was two years younger! He was 14 in the previous book and here he was 12. One of the main criteria for choosing him was their wanting a homeless gay child. It was stated he was fourteen in the previous book but he also knew he was gay and he was causing trouble by having sex with the other boys. Despite the fact Jack situation, it was still a really enjoyable book, but I would love to have it explained to me why he got younger! -- Assuming of course that there is a reason other than oooops! LOL

4.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyed it!, December 13, 2011
Gary Casey "GC" (Bay Area, California) - See all my reviews
So I burned through all 5-of the Condor e-books, within a few weeks and loved each one. The Condor and the Crown was a great ending. Certainly this last one (or will there be another?) did not disappoint in the least.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrorists from Lybia, too?, August 29, 2014
Does the gay US President enjoy retirement with his true love when he leaves office after serving but one term? What draws him back into public service as the Ambassador to Great Britain? Does Mary, his administrative assistant, follow them to London? Read up!

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, September 15, 2014
This review is from: Condor and the Crown (Paperback)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, November 2, 2011
Why do I feel like so many of the 5 star books I order are reading assignments? At least they put me to sleep. This may not be John Simpson's best Condor book, but I did not fall asleep and read it straight through with pleasure.