1,543
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:$7.63 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on November 15, 2005
Format: Audio CD
MADONNA is back with her new album Confessions on a Dance Floor and it is an amazing album and one of her best!

HUNG UP - This is the first single off of the new album and is a huge hit in the clubs. The song has a sample from ABBA's song Gimme Gimme Gimme (which I have never heard) and has MADONNA singing about someone she is hung up on. The song has a very great groove and it's definitely the most commercial song on the album. With the chorus line "Every little thing that you say or do I'm HUNG UP, I'm hung up on you." and lines like "Ring , ring, ring goes the telephone, the lights are on but there's no one home" the song gets stuck in your mind and you find yourself singing these catchy lines. No Madonna song has as catchy lines since "INTO THE GROOVE" which had Madonna sing "At night I lock the doors and no one else can see". Very strong single that will keep the dance club crowd on there feet.

GET TOGETHER - This is a great up- beat song (inspired by Stardust - Music Sounds Better With You) with a very laid back trance like feel to it. The song has Madonna singing to a person she really likes asking "Do you believe in love at first sight?" Even if it's an illusion she states she don't care. "Can we get Together? I really, I really want to be with you. Come on check it out with me, I hope you, I hope you feel the same way too." Put some head-phones on and close your eyes and the Great retro dance beat along with the trance feel take you to another world.

SORRY - This is rumored to be one of the new singles from the album. Madonna sings "I don't want to hear, I don't want to know please don't say your SORRY." to someone she is probably never going to forgive. The songs chorus sounds similar to the bass line from The Jackson's' 1981 hit Can You Feel. Sure to be another huge club and commercial hit.

FUTURE LOVERS - This is one of my favorite songs on the album. This song also has a retro vibe to it with another trance like feel. This song has a lot of stuff going on musically and it is inspired by Giorgio Moroder/I feel Love by Donna Summer. The song has some spoken vocals for the first minute and a half, then it breaks out in to this awesome dance song. She sings "In the evidence of it's brilliance" talking about love. This song is going to be HUGE in the clubs.

I LOVE NEW YORK - Great dance song that has MADONNA telling us how much she loves NEW YORK and hinting towards George Bush and his home state. Singing, "If you don't like my attitude then you can just f off. Just go to Texas, isn't that where they golf." Very awesome dance song with a very punk rock feel to it. This is also rumored to be a single off of the new album.

LET IT WILL BE - this is a song that has a raw feel to it with a funky house groove and a retro 80's feel to it. This song sounds similar to the string opening (played on a synth) from her own song PAPA DON'T PREACH. This song has MADONNA singing lines like "Now I can tell you about success, about fame, about the rise and the fall, of all the stars in the sky, Don't it make you smile? Let it will Be. Just let it be. Won't you let it be?"

FORBIDDEN LOVE - This is one of the slowest dance songs on the album and one of the most beautiful. The song has computer generated, and vocoder style vocals and has another 80's feel to it. The song is the closest thing to a ballad on the album. MADONNA sings "Once upon a time there was a boy and there was a girl. Hearts that intertwined they lived in a different kind of world. Forbidden Love are we supposed to be together? Forbidden Love we seal are destiny forever."

JUMP - This is one of my other favorite tracks on this album. This song has a great beat and classic MADONNA vocals. This is one song that will make the club crowd JUMP and remind anyone of classic MADONNA. Madonna sings " We learned our lesson from the start my sisters and me. The only thing you can depend on is your family. Life's gonna drop you down like the limbs of a tree. It sways, and it swings and it bends until it makes you see. Are you ready to jump? Get ready to jump. Don't ever look back oh baby. Yes I'm ready to jump. Just take my hand, get ready to... are you ready?" This would be a great single and in some countries is expected to be released as a single.

HOW HIGH - This song has a great beat to it and is another song that has computer generated, and vocoder style vocals. This is a song that has lyrics (similar to "Drowned World/Substitute For Love) about Madonna analyzing and evaluating her fame and success. She sings "How HIGH are the stakes? How much fortune can you make? Should I carry on? Will it matter when I'm gone?" Another great song!

ISAAC - This is another beautiful song on the album. Despite the early controversy this song has spawned, this is s song that has a very beautiful Jewish chant with strings and guitars that envelope you and take you on an emotional journey. This has some of the most beautiful lyrics MADONNA has ever wrote. She sings "Wrestle with your darkness. Angels call your name. Can you hear what they are saying? Will You ever be the same?" People may not like this song because of the spiritual vibe, the Jewish chant, and because it is different, since some people don't like things that are different. I love this song!

PUSH ME - This is a great inspirational song that she probably wrote for her husband Guy. Very Uplifting beat that some people say samples a slowed down section from her own hit "LIKE A PRAYER." Madonna sings "You PUSH ME to go the extra mile. You push me when it's difficult to smile. You push me a better version of myself. You push me only you and no one else. You push me see the other pont of view. You push me when there's nothing else to do. You push me when I think I know it all. You push me when I stumble and I fall." This is a great song that reminds us all how much our lovers/partners love us and push us to be better.

LIKE IT OR NOT - This is another great song influenced by her own cover of her hit FEVER. This is for all those people who for what ever reason don't like MADONNA and always put her down. She once again analyzes herself and says, like it or not this is who I am. She sings: "You can call me a sinner, you can call me a saint. This is who I am, You can like it or not, You can love me or leave me, But I'm never going to stop." Awesome song and some great advice from a strong women who just keeps going on her journey no matter what people think of her. Cleverly this last song closes this beautiful future-disco album with an acoustic guitar.

I have to say it's very sad to see some of these reviewers post reviews about how much they hate Madonna or like other artists better. The reviews they write have nothing to do with Madonna's new album and yet they give her 1 star all because they don't like her. After reading the reviews I can tell most of them have not even heard the album because the reviews they wrote are so far from what the songs are about. I guess MADONNA is still a huge threat to them and they have to post such hateful things about someone they don't like all because she is MADONNA. In a MADONNA like fashion I will not get bitter toward them, I will forgive them and ask that God Blesses each and every one of them.

And should any of you good people out there be the target like MADONNA and find yourself the victim of other people's bitterness, ignorance, smallness or insecurities; Remember, things could be worse. You could be one of them!

MADONNA once again leads while the rest will follow. This is the best MADONNA album since RAY of Light!
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 11, 2005
Format: Audio CDVerified Purchase
22 years after she first graced the dance floor, Madonna is sending you an invitation to get into the groove again. And if Confessions is anything to go by, she shows the world that she still can dance as well as inspire.

Working with her new partners, most notably the savvy Stuart Price, Confessions is a 12-track segued mix of dance ecstasy. Lead single, Hung Up, amazingly mixes Abba's 1979 hit Gimme Gimme Gimme (A Man After Midnight) with Madonna's and Price's retro-disco fluffiness into a bona fide dance floor anthem. Follow this with the throbs of the electro-futuristic Get Together where Madonna makes you check it out with her as she really wants to be with you. Then, the song fades cleverly into Madonna saying sorry in a few languages before she sends you to gyrate along with Sorry. On Forbidden Love, Madonna morphs into Giorgio Moroder and creates a superb 80s-sounding yet stylish song of two star-crossed lovers. On the Indian-inspired, beats-driven Push, Madonna pays tribute to the one (presumably Guy Ritchie)who has constantly pushed her to her best.

On Confessions, Madonna's lyrics are never overly self-indulgent though short of any major revelations that we don't already know. There are self-discovery, enlightenment, empowerment, love, and lament.

Confessions is a true return to form for the Queen of Pop, something all fans have been eagerly waiting for.

The expanded version includes a 13th track Fighting Spirit, an electronic dance track with an uplifting message. Other goodies include a journal book with selected entries by Madonna, a picture book and 1-month trial membership to ICON, Madonna's fanclub. This is by far, the best Madonna special edition.

For fans only.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 12, 2005
Format: Audio CD
Of course, like other Madonna devotees, I was out in force to pick up her newest studio outing "Confessions On A Dancefloor" last month. The album surpassed any expectations I had, so imagine my glee when I realized there would a "expanded" version being released during the month of December.

To be fair, I gave Mariah's "The Emancipation of Mimi" re-release only three stars. This was due to how it was marketed as a partially "new record". But this expanded version of Madonna's new album is clearly aimed for the Madonna devotee, & succeeds on that merit alone.

Housed in a sturdy, book-shaped black slipcase, you get the album, with one new track "Fighting Spirit".

"Fighting Spirit" sounds like an "American Life" leftover, Mirwais of course helming the production. But it seems that the track was given a re-newed spirit for the "Confessions" re-release. Lyrically, in the vein of the material from "American Life" the acoustic elements abound, in a quiet sense, & a dance element is brought to the fore. The tolling bells give it a haunting feel.

Now, that is great...but I personally wanted this due to the amazing 40-page booklet of Steven Klein's COMPLETE photography of the "Confessions" photoshoot, which is of course breathtaking. Wish Madonna would've stayed with the red hair! You also get an empty journal with lyrics in the lower right hand corner from "Like It Or Not" (regular cut from "Confessions"). And a one month trial membership to Madonna's official fanclub, ICON.

All in all, this is for the Madonna purist/hardcore person you love this holiday season! They may've bought the original album, but they will love the expanded version. Die-hards need only apply!
Format: Audio CDVerified Purchase
Leave it to the Material Girl to resurrect the glory days of disco. As a huge fan of `70s music, this collection of a dozen dance songs brings back many happy memories, and though disco may not be here to stay, this updated tribute will have you doing the hustle and bus stop for quite a while.

Disco has been popping up here and there, one of the more recent attempts being "Murder on the Dancefloor" by Sophie Ellis-Bextor, but Madonna gives it a new and freshly minted sound.

First single "Hung Up" is one of the most likeable songs in recent history, with its authentic Abba sample and driving beat. The other outstanding track is the "Popcorn"-based "Jump".

Other good tracks are "Get Together", the beginning bars sounding vaguely like Cyndi Lauper's "Time After Time"; "Sorry" and "How High", which are dance floor magnets, and "Like It or Not" with its slightly slower tempo.

"I Love New York" is not a great track lyrically, despite the obvious sentiment, but I guess you could call it a "confession".

"I don't like cities

But I like New York

Other places make me feel like a dork

Los Angels is for people who sleep

Paris and London, baby you can't keep"

A clever mix of disco-fied R&B, Pop, Euro and trance beats, "Confessions" is one of her better albums (though certainly not the best) and a must buy for any Madonna fan or party animal of the `70s and `80s.

Amanda Richards, November 15, 2005
on December 1, 2005
Format: Audio CD
This has got to be one of this year's best releases. Critical acclaim aside, considered me shocked as I think that it's better than anything she's put out, EVER. The way underrated "Erotica" to me would be a close second.

This CD not only flows seamlessly from beginning to end, but there is not a dud to be found, which is generally not the case with ANY artist. I was very skeptical when I heard that this was here "back to dance music" CD as it sounded like a reincarnation that did not sound organic on the surface, especially considering the low sales figures for "American Life". Many have described this release solely in retro terms but while she certainly mines from the 1970s and 1980s dance crop, the songs embraces recent dance/trance/electronica sounds so the sound is equally "Into the Groove"/ "Ray of Light," but taken to a level that astounds me.

The CD starts out with the first single "Hung Up," which will rank as one of Madonna's catchiest singles. That telephone will ring in your ears long after the song is over. Next comes. "Get Together" starts out like early Madonna then weaves into a thumping hook and chorus that you won't be able to shake off. Why would you want to?

"Sorry" starts out with an otherworldly grandiose feel (think Enigma) and has lyrics that you actually remember as they dance with a chorus that just won't quit. I love the way she says sorry in several languages. It just works. The end has a Pet Shop Boys like feel that feels new not borrowed. Next comes my favorite song on the CD: "Future Lovers." She tells a little story about love that is propelled by the amazing Donna Summer/Giorgio Moroder "I Feel Love" riff. I love the way she coos right before the chorus. This is without a doubt yet another single waiting to happen.

"I Love New York" has silly lyrics but the "Can You Feel It" riff and chorus are hard to ignore and, while not as good as other songs on the CD, it does not detract from it. "Let It Will Be" starts out with visit to "Papa Don't Preach" with hypnotic strings and continues its non-stop energy attack that is this release's greatest accomplishment. The song segways perfectly into "Forbidden Love" which has beautiful lyrics and a New Order feel, which is a little slower than most of the songs on this dance-a-thon. "Jump" starts out with a confessional "Erotica" feel and a chorus, which while retro, is as strong and original as anything released this year. I love its move on and don't look behind message. Very empowering and could give Gloria Gaynor's "I Will Survive" some company in the non-sappy, I'll be ok without you anthems.

"How High" has Madonna looking back at her life and while it does not shed much new post-"Ray Of Light" insight, it finds her making peace with the many incarnations that she's gone through in finding what works for her. No regrets which is evident in "Isaac", which centers on a contagious Jewish chant that is very melodic. Some in the Jewish community have taken offense with the song, but all I know is that it is such a beautiful song (Madonna's voice is a stand-out here) and from my limited knowledge does not seem to be offensive. I may be wrong, but I won't opine on matters that I don't understand. At worst the chants may remind some of the Eastern sounds that Sting embraced in his last CD. In a nutshell, why not use Jewish chants to create a hybrid sound that is.

"Push Me" starts out like a sequel to "Like a Prayer" and seems like a major thank you to someone very special to her. It has a subtle Latin feel to it, which segways into the CD's last song, "Like it or not," which is a strong statement to all those who have an opinion of her. It's a great closer to a set of songs that will leave you tired and wanting more and more. This CD has not left my CD player for a week, and that happens, ... actually never.

Over the years I have taken Madonna's sometime provocative opinions with a strong grain of salt, and that has allowed me to focus on the music and not on her as a personality. She's one of those bigger than life celebrities, not unlike Barbra Streisand, who gets reviewed for what people think of her, rather than focusing on the music. Her die-hard fans will give "Confessions..." 5 stars without even listening to the CD, while those who hate Madonna will continue to hate her and give this 1 star (0 if it were possible).

I am neither a die-hard fan (as my review for "American Life" will prove), nor a Madonna-basher, and can safely say that giving this release 5 stars is the result of the quality of the music. This baby flows from beginning to end, and will without a doubt be in my top 10 releases of 2005.
on November 20, 2005
Format: Audio CD
I will do a song by song review. Those are the type I like the best! ;o)

1. "Hung Up" 5/5 --- This song is amazing. The first single off the album; very catchy!

2. "Get Together" 5/5 --- This song should be one of the singles. It's just amazing!

3. "Sorry" 5/5 --- The rumoured second single, awesome beat. The beginning has Madonna saying "forgive me" in many different languages. It gives the song a very cool and different start.

4. "Future Lovers" 3/5 --- While I only gave this 3 out of 5 stars, it's still a very good song. Never dull, and Madonna's voice overs are awesome in it. It just doesn't quite touch me as a song itself. As a song between "Future Lovers" and "I love New York" it's a perfect and different break.

5. "I Love New York" 4/5 --- The lyrics might be a little cheesy, but they're not enough so to break the song. The awesome beat makes this song!

6. "Let It Will Be" 5/5 --- This song is said to be very William Orbit-esque, and I agree. It's a perfect and catchy song. I was a little leary of it with it's title being a little off, but it's amazing. The chorus sucks you in!

7. "Forbidden Love" 5/5 --- "----------" Leaves me speechless!

8. "Jump" 5/5 Another amazing and catchy tune from this album. Madonna really does amazing job!

9. "How High" 5/5 --- This song takes the alum into a little deeper of a mode asking "how much fortune can you make?" Awesome beginning to the song; great tune!

10. "Isaac" 3/5 --- This song is very strange and a little different from the rest of the album. I believe this is one of the songs they were talking about when they said some of the material was from a musical Madonna was writing. It's strange, but naturally with this album and the turn Madonna took, it's amazing :o)

11. "Push" 3/5 --- This song is the only one I actually skip over. The beat is frigging awesome; it really is. But..sadly, whenever Madonna starts singing I cringe and just skip the song. It's sad to admit, but I will for the reviews sake. The beat is amazing though, I just with I liked the way she sang it better. This is, in my opinion, the only slighty-bad track on the album, and it's STILL got the awesome beat to carry itself.

12. "Like It Or Not" 5/5 --- Once again Madonna manages to create an absolutely *amazing* closing song. The beat, the lyrics, the sounds, everything. Great lyrics...even better than 2000s "Gone" from the Music album.

I'm giving this album 5 stars because despite some of my 3 star or 4 star ratings, the album is still absolutely amazing, knock me off my feet fantastic. Buy this album!!!
on March 15, 2006
Format: Audio CD
Madonna has always had diehard fans and equally stubborn critics. There will always be "music lovers" who claim to hate Madonna because of her vocal inability, her gimmicks, or her overt sexuality. Perhaps Madonna dug her own grave a little by never balancing the focus of her artistic intentions. Should we love/hate Madonna because of her, or for the music? Should we take any artist that writes such awful lyrics seriously?? If you've read about her, you would know that this conundrum is always in the back of her mind. Her genius is more than the music (which infuriates the purists). If you love her, you love the total package, and if you hate her, you have no reason to enjoy the music.

This album is the answer. I assert that it is Madonna at her absolute best. It is the Madonna album for anyone that likes dance, pop, techno, or trance. It is the album that will win back her old fans and begin a new generation of fans. Ray of Light, Music, and American Life were merely warm-ups for the future and in this album the various styles of each come together in a perfect synergy. `Confessions' doesn't feature any cosmic propaganda, country western riffs, or angry political jargon. It is pop at the core; free, danceable, and fun. Madonna seems to be enjoying the ride and taking herself a little less seriously - which is soo refreshing.

To enjoy this album, insert the disc into the CD player in your car, turn up the volume, forget about Madonna and her past, and stop thinking about it all so much. And a sidebar, the lyrics on this album aren't all that bad - definitely not her worst. The funniest thing ever is reading the reviews in which people slam Madonna's lyrical skills and then say they hate the songs that have the most cohesive and poetic lyrics (Isaac, Jump). Some people can't be pleased.
on March 13, 2006
Format: Audio CD
I was listening to the radio one day on my way to work when a radio ad came on concerning the Kochella Festival (Forgive me if I spelled it wrong.) with Tool as its headliners, which immediately caught my attention. As they scrolled through the band list, which includes Depeche Mode, Franz Ferdinand, and other powers in the world of rock, the last name mentioned scored its own background music, and guess who it was? Madonna, with 'Hung Up' playing for a few seconds before heading back to Tool's 'Sober' Anyway, back to the review.

Listening to the album a number of times has brought me a verdict: As a theme, 'Confessions on a Dance Floor' delivers from beginning to end. If this CD were played in a club from start to finish, you wouldn't get much of a break since every song is made first and foremost to be danceable (And they are). In that sense, this album has accomplished its goals. Thus the 4 stars.

However, it has its flaws. Lyrically, this album doesn't have the staying power to keep up with the driving beats of the music. Particularly in my thoughts is the track 'I Love New York' with the verse that ends with 'Isn't that where they golf?' Just because people golf in Texas doesn't mean it's the only place people do it, and just because people will dance to your work doesn't mean you can write subpar lyrics. For someone in the industry as long as Madonna has been, this song was a razor sharp disappointment.

For the most part though, this album works. It has a certain kind of energy to it. The dancefloor energy will keep the clubgoers happy, and the pacing of the songs themselves give them an ambient quality to them...you know, the songs that sound best while driving at night when you're most at ease. While all the songs are admittedly similar, I get the hint that it was sort of the point. A standout track on this album, 'Isaac', is by far the most beautiful and artfully done song, with sampling from a chant, and well-done lyrics to boot. On a final note, the way this futurepop disco album ends in minimal acoustic guitar on 'was, in my opinion, a superb way to close the album.

It could be much better, but if you think this is terrible, I suggest listening to a Britney Spears or Hilary Duff album, and see just how much worse it could be.
on November 15, 2005
Format: Audio CD
I have waited months and months and months for this CD, as I do for all her music. As soon as I heard that it was going to be a continuous dance CD with NO ballads I was ecstatic! I was a bit tired of the acoustic/techno sound that dominated her last 2 CD's (Music and American Life).

This CD lives up to everything I had hoped for and more! Madonna has ALWAYS been the LEADER not the follower has always been the TRENDSETTER.....This CD (like all her others) is very evident of that. This is pure dance music with lyrics that have more than just the superficial meanings that most dance music that fill the clubs have. Catchy hooks, great beats, great verses....all with a unique sound that only Madonna can pull off!

HUNG UP is just awesome! SO infectious! Great sample in it with lyrics that will have you singing it all day, everyday! 10/10

GET TOGETHER is a good dance/trance song with good lyrics and great sounds going on in the background. 9/10

SORRY is one of my favorites on the CD. SO catchy and sure to be a SMASH in the clubs and has a very radio-friendly sound to it. LOVE IT!!!! 10/10

FUTURE LOVERS is another great dance/techno song that has a lot going on it that is just crying out to be danced to! Love all that is going on in this song....get's you really pumped up! 10/10

I LOVE NEW YORK is a great fusion of dance/rock. I must say the lyrics are a bit cheesy and too "fly by night" - this one may have to grow on me over time. Not a favorite on the CD. 6/10

LET IT WILL BE is a great song!!! People are saying in their reviews that it is a CD/floorfiller...I have to disagree. I think it is fun and is up to par with the rest of the songs on here. 9/10

FORBIDDEN LOVE is the slowest song on this CD. NOT a ballad but, a slow dance song. Not too fond of it......Does not seem to fit in right at this spot in the CD. Other then where it falls on the CD it is not a horrible song.....maybe should have been at the end?? 7/10

JUMP has VERY infectious lyrics! You see a song title like "Jump" and you think it is going to be just loud and club bumpin' but this one is more tame than I expected. But, I guess I judged the book by its cover or in this case the song by its title. LOL GREAT SONG! 10/10

HOW HIGH is amazing!!! LOVE IT! Talking about her fame and if it matters and how hard she tried just to see her name up in lights. Great beats and great synths. 10/10

ISAAC is different. I don't know how else to word that. I like the male chanting in it - that is catchy, along with the beat. Might have to be another that grows on me with time. 8/10

PUSH is my absolute favorite on this CD!! I don't even know what to classify it as. It's not dance. It's pop/R&B?? Whatever it is it is GREAT!!! I love the beat and her vocals. The meaning is great as well. The melody in which she sings sample the Tom Tom Club - GREAT SONG!!! 10/10

LIKE IT OR NOT is a cool way to close the CD. Lay all your songs out there and then simple say "like it or not" THE END! I like it. 9/10

Madonna is always on top of her game and never seems to age. I have been an avid since I bought her first RECORD LOL! This CD really reminds me of early Madonna. I have loved Madonna through the years and through all of her changes. Like I said she has always been the LEADER and the TRENDSETTER! She has paved the way for everyone!!! Paved the way for the "club mix"! This CD is astonishing and will have you on your feet and wanting to go to the nearest club! It is a must have for EVERYONE!!!! :)
on March 13, 2006
Format: Audio CD
i glad that she made it i haven,t hear her from in nine years

i already know madonna beingings as far her music first by urban radio this explain the reason why she was underrated by the mainsteam so long but this cd has no flaws most cds that althought the artist means well in most cases it has flaws

not the case with hers. i also wish that madonna would wake up . you have two that can bring you back carey or carlos santana. these two are only two people i can think if .