Confessions of a Murder Suspect
Format: HardcoverChange
Price:$26.00+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on January 1, 2013
I really loved the intricacies of the plot of this book, I felt that it was a great way to also introduce young adults into the world of James patterson and his sometimes writing (cause lets be honest, the amount of books that he publishes in a year is just not humanly possible).

When were introduced to the plot, Tandy, our main character doesn't hide the fact that she is an unreliable narrator, wwhich can be hard to read sometimes. Not knowing if you can trust your narrator makes all of the facts seem off. And its not that you don't trust her because of her, but its because of how she talks about things from such an objective point and that she tells you not to trust her.

I personally found myself growing to trust her through the book because I found her likable in the way that you like Temperance Brennan in "Bones," its because shes the entirely objective person who looks at the facts and not the emotions behind actions or reasoning. For Tandy its cold hard reasoning.

I think of of the other reasons that I found this book really interesting was because of the who done it aspect and the science that went into the parents background. The parents in this muder case, were both scientists with a lot invested in their children which came to be really interesting when it came to all the decisions that the kids made.

This book left a lot of things open at the end mostlyt to explore the lives of the family, and what their lives were like before the parents died and now what they are like now that they are dead. They lived such a life of extravigance and excess that it's going to be a harsh shock to see how they handle it. I am looking forward to the next book.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 24, 2012
In James Patterson's latest collaboration with Maxine Paetro, Tandy Angel finds herself in a tough spot when she's awakened by the police. They insist someone called stating a murder had taken place. She goes to wake up her parents, and finds them both dead. The only suspects are the Angel children and her mother's live-in secretary. Tandy investigates and finds her parents were no angels. Could one of her brothers kill out of anger? Did the live-in secretary kill out of betrayal? James Patterson is currently one of the best-selling mystery writers. He weaves original characters with nonstop action and a plot with so many twists and turns you think you were on a virtual roller coaster. This young adult mystery will intrigue teenagers and adults. There was only one drawback: the cliffhanger ending. It left me wanting more.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon October 23, 2012
For our October read, my Book Club decided to select an author (a prolific one) and everyone would just read the book of their choice by that author. We had so much fun with that idea that we are doing it again for November. October's selection was James Patterson. I'm a fan of James Patterson. I find most of his books highly entertaining. And unlike some readers, I'm not bothered by the fact that he doesn't write them all by himself. You have to give him credit - he doesn't pretend that he writes them alone and he uses his celebrity to help other authors.

What I liked about this book: It's a mystery and it's the first in a new young adult series. I love mysteries and young adult books. I'm especially delighted when a book falls into both categories. As with most James Patterson books, this is a quick read. I loved Tandy. In fact she may be the only character I really liked. She's not your usual teen girl. How many young girls, faced with the murder of both parents and being at the top of the suspect list would have the calm and cool nerve to set about solving the murders? Tandy's and her siblings' enhanced abilities do give the story a bit of an unreal aspect, but they also add to the over all mystery. Tandy is a very strong character who is aware of her flaws. I'm pretty sure this book is the first in a series, which makes me very glad as I have so many questions about Tandy, her childhood and her rather different family. I can't wait to read more.

What I didn't like about this book: With the exception of the family lawyer (and we really don't get to know him at all) all the adult characters are extremely unlikable. I particularly did not care for the investigators. The lead investigator, Detective Caputo, is very unprofessional, treats the children with total disdain and even outright hatred. Not that I have very much experience with real policemen, but I found him to be almost unbelievable. He is such an unlikable character that it was easy to sympathize with Tandy as she struggled to deal with him. I had an inkling about the resolution of this mystery (which I won't share with you because I don't believe in adding spoilers to reviews - especially reviews of new books), but Patterson and Paetro still managed to work in something I didn't quite expect.

This is a great thriller/mystery written for teens. Even though teens are the targeted audience, I highly recommend it for James Patterson fans of all ages.
on September 26, 2012
'Confessions of a Murder Suspect' is just what is says.... Tandy Angel is the child of a couple found deceased in the master bedroom of their apartment at the famed Dakota in New York City. The Angels are beyond wealthy - Mom a hedge fund manager, Dad a pharmaceutical company partner. The doors were locked the only people in the apartment are the children and the young female assistant to Maud Angel, the mother.

The police are called and everyone inside the locked apartment becomes a suspect. Tandy Angel decides to solve the crime. The Angel children are bright, talented over-achievers. She is sure she can get to the bottom of the mystery before the police.

The book reads as Tandy's steam of consciousness. What is happening, what has happened, her upbringing in the odd Angel household.

While the premise in interesting, the execution was just average. Not enough delivered on the initial promise of different and thoughtful. The book concludes with an obvious sequel to a series.

Just okay.
on September 27, 2012
with all honesty I enjoyed this book. it had a interesting plot with a few surprises. I was surprised on how mature this book was with certain parts.I hope there is another book because there was a lot of unanswered questions at the end. but all in all this was a good book
on October 9, 2012
This book was not the usual James Patterson style. I did not like this book nor did I like the one before (Zoo) and if he does not get back to his usual style I will no longer be reading his books. Too bad too because James Patterson is the author that started me reading at the age of 60 !! I was never a reader until I read one of his books then I went back and read them all. Please James, go back to your old style !!!!
on October 15, 2012
First Sentence: I have some really bad secrets to share with someone, and it might as well be you--a stranger, a reader of books, but most of all, a person who can't hurt me.

A Quick Synopsis: Tandy Angel wasn't ever sure if she truly loved her parents, or even if they really loved her. But they've just been murdered, and she's one of the last people to see them alive. It's much too late for questions like those. The main question now is: who killed Malcolm and Maud Angel? The police only have Tandy and her brothers as suspects, but when Tandy does some investigating on her own, she has some ideas of her own. As the list of suspects grows longer and longer, and the stakes get higher and higher, will Tandy finally solve in cracking her case? And is she herself truly innocent?

The Review: At this point I know I will sound like a broken record for saying it, but James Patterson truly has been on a massive writing slump in his books for young readers lately. Most of his series for teens and juveniles are being "co-authored", such as the Diary of a Wimpy Kid rip-off series, aka Middle School. Then there's Daniel X and Witch and Wizard, whose magic/battle systems don't contain a single drop of logic. And the greatest factor may be the one last series that was not co-authored (the last Safe Haven, I liked to call it)--Maximum Ride. That went completely down with the release of the "finale", Nevermore. And so goes the last Safe Haven.

Redeeming yourself in your readers's eyes is not an easy task. But Patterson gives it one more try with Confessions of a Murder Suspect. When I read the premise for this book, I can't exactly say I was instantly hooked. There are plenty of mysteries in the Young Adult market these days, and it's not like this was going to think out of the box. I also feel that teen detectives are becoming a bit overused these days as well.

Speaking of teen detectives--the characters. Well, this was certainly a step up from most of his other stuff lately, I must say. Tandy's a bit stereotypical but she was enjoyable nonetheless. Her brothers were interesting--at first I had trouble keeping up with all the members and relatives of the Angel family, but things eventually got clearer. The book is told from the first-person-view of Tandy, and at the beginning her voice may be a bit irritating as she constantly addresses us as "dear reader" and saying things like "are you familiar with this?" Some readers may find this refreshing, but I felt it was used as a cheap voice-uniqueification device.

The premise may be nothing new, but Patterson and Maxine Paetro really throw a few zingers in the plot. I don't want to go into detail, but let me just say you should be prepared for a few surprises. But strangely, even though there were quite a few twists and turns, I didn't find myself hooked to the book. The same problem with Nevermore occurred--it took me days to finish this latest read instead of one sitting that is usually to be expected from a Patterson book. Another problem I had was that Tandy writes separates chapters as "Confessions". As we approach the climax and get further into the story, these "confessions" start not appearing as often, which made the pacing a bit uneven.

Overall, Confessions of a Murder Suspect is nothing to party about, but it's certainly a vast improvement over the trash known as Nevermore. If these books really are ghostwritten (and I suspect they are) at least Patterson's publishers chose a decent ghostwriter for this one. The story is tied up here, and yet it clearly leads to a (cash cow) sequel. It's too early to be saying whether I will read it or not, but I can say that there's much room for improvement, and I hope for it.

Memorable Quote: Are you familiar with the phrase unreliable narrator? Maybe from English-lit class? It's when the storyteller might not be worthy of your trust. In fact, the storyteller might be a complete liar. So given what I just said, you're probably wondering: Is that me?
Would I do that to you? Of course I wouldn't. At least, I don't think I would. But you can never tell about people, can you? How much do you really know about my past?
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 22, 2012
The only thing that even looks like Patterson had anything to do with this book is the short chapters!. It is far-fetched, does not have a final ending, and is basically a fast read that you just hope you can finish. Sorry - I usually LOVE Paterson's work, but this one is not one I would recommend. I do not think he wrote it!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 21, 2012
Another piece of crap from Patterson. I respected James Patterson and his writing, bought and read all of his books. However, over the last few years, his titles list co-authors. The books are primarily second rate. Large print, many blank pages or pages with few words but still numbered. All books with his name demand premium prices, I doubt that he has even read these books, but yet he puts his name on them so that an unsuspecting fan base will spend the unreasonably high prices.

Is this what Mr Patterson is all about? Greed ?
on October 9, 2012
James Patterson, one of the most well known authors, some how continues to produce amazing series. With the Maximum Ride, Daniel X, and Witch and Wizard series reaching millions of readers, it seems that maybe Mr. Patterson would take a break. Thankfully this is not the case with the renowned author's new novel Confessions of A Murder Suspect. Written with his extremely visual writing style, Patterson drifts away from his genre of fantasy and science fiction and goes to a more realistic mystery with a secondary author by the name of Maxine Paetro. The novel uses many dramatic twists and really portrays the emotional aspect of the book. The quest for perfection is highlighted to the extreme in this book!

In the novel we follow teenager Tandy Angel who awakens one night to find that her parents have been murdered. The murder seems almost impossible to commit from an outsider making Tandy and her brothers instant suspects. Now Tandy's parents were no ordinary parents. They just so happened to be extremely rich parents. Tandy and her siblings have led a highly cultured life, in where their parents control everything to achieve perfection. This control however, sadly turns each sibling into a type of sociopath which Tandy realizes makes them prime suspects. While dealing with the conflicting feelings of loss for her parents, Tandy does vow to find the killer and bring them to justice.

An emotional roller coaster, this novel thrives off of dramatic twists and surprises. As always Patterson does a wonderful job of composing his characters. My only wish for this new book of Patterson, is that would be longer, providing more back story. I feel it would have greatly enhanced the over story. Nevertheless, this is a great book, and will surely become a best-seller! - Joshua