I have two daughters, ages 14 (almost) and 16. Wow, am I glad this book came into our lives--with not a second to spare! It will save us thousands and thousands of education dollars, all for the cost of a Starbucks coffee and a breakfast sandwich.

Published 19 months ago by MrHit

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very helpful to many people
Published 18 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes Going For Scholarships Fun and Meaningful. Ellis puts a lot of HEART into the Process. A MUST-HAVE!, March 26, 2013
This review is from: Confessions of a Scholarship Winner (Kindle Edition)

What I like about CONFESSIONS OF A SCHOLARSHIP WINNER is that the author LIVED IT. Her story is amazing. This makes this book very personal, very real. If you're looking for a book containing a list of thousands of scholarships--this is not it! Besides, you can find that kind of information on the Internet (the author shows you how). As a result, it is as much a inspirational/motivational book as it is a "how to" book. The author basically becomes your very own college scholarships mentor or coach. Very unique approach--and a good one.

The author shows you everything you need to know to go after scholarships of all sizes. How to write essays, what to concentrate on, how to make every word count (sort of like Twitter!). It's amazing how every word does, in fact, COUNT! In addition, she shows you how to create your own personal formula for success. I really loved the section where she goes inside the mind of a scholarship judge...and reveals how they think, and what they are looking for. There is even a chapter on the often-overlooked things that make or break a scholarship application. Are you kidding me? I would have never of thought about those things in a million years!

Again, this is not your ordinary scholarship book. The author wrote this to be your guide. She holds your hand and mentors you through the process. She seriously could be the next big motivational speaker for a new generation. She shows you how to "find your voice," how to be a "winner," how to succeed in the scholarship interview, and how to take what you have--even with average grades--and go for the gold without going broke! Even she had average grades, had little money, and ended up going to Vanderbilt--a top 20 college.

This is the perfect book for these imperfect times. Times are really tough, so this book is more than a blessing--it's a Godsend.

I wish every middle schooler and high schooler in America could have the benefit of this book. I also hope that it ends up in the hands of every high school guidance counselor.

Again, my kids are in the 8th and 10th grades. I am SO blessed to have this book in my hands at this point in my life. Times have been tough. I have been trying to figure out how to come up with the money for their college educations. This book is full of answers. Highly recommend. I not only bought the eBook for myself, I'm buying two more copies for each of my kids.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for every high school student!, April 11, 2013
As a high school counselor I answer questions almost daily about the college scholarship application process. I plan to recommend this book to my students. I found the book to be reader friendly and packed with great information, tips, and suggestions for success.

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative and Inspiring, March 22, 2013
This review is from: Confessions of a Scholarship Winner (Kindle Edition)
Just read the book after buying it from Amazon. This book should be "THE GO TO" book for teaching college bound students the path to take for scholarships! As a family of five, I need all the help I can get to help with the escalating costs of education. I am happy that I read this book and WOW, did it help. It was inspiring as well. Kristina shows that it can be done! I would recommend this to everyone.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very helpful to many people, April 5, 2013
I am still looking for a book that helps students who are white, have both parents living, both parents work at full time jobs, are above the poverty level, and have been sacraficing to save for college, but do not have enough for the skyrocketing college costs. Those students need scholarships too, but most scholarships discriminate against those kids, which is very demoralizing. A few chapters, like 6 and 7 are helpful since most of that advice is needed by everyone applying for scholarships. Miss Ellis' book and interviews on television are inspiring, and she should be applauded, however it is very little help for most Americans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Be ready to WORK HARD, April 29, 2013
I'll be honest, I was impressed with Ms. Ellis' interview but I was concerned by some of the negative reviews that the book may not help a solid family. I was pleasantly surprised! The book is a perfect blend of knowledge and inspiration and applies to everyone. Yes Ms. Ellis comes from an impoverished background and is a minority. However, several of the scholarships she won don't use either factor in awarding winners. Since she had average grades and test scores and her background wasnt a factor, there must be another reason she won. The secret is HARD WORK! Ms. Ellis worked hard to fill her resume with volunteer work, activites and achievements. Ms. Ellis time and time again explains that winning scholarships takes preparation, strategy, and effort. She has helped explain the preparation and devised the strategy. The effort comes from you. That's why any student can do it despite background or academic ability. We all have the ability to WORK HARD! Ms. Ellis does an excellent job of guiding students how to best direct their effort so it will pay off with scholarships while adding inspiration and motivation along the way. When the effort has been put in, Ms. Ellis expertly guides the student in putting their efforts on paper in a way that makes them stand out from the crowd. Be advised. This book is not a quick fix to money problems. But if you are willing to WORK HARD for your dreams, it is the perfect book for you or your student.

5.0 out of 5 stars Confessions of a Scholarship Winner, April 5, 2013
Confessions of a Scholarship Winner by Kristina Ellis is a must read for students, parents & educators in unearthing financial tuition treasures. It is also an inspiration for those struggling with circumstances & confidence. A Do-It-Yourself guide to solve the equation: Fearlessness+Drive+Discipline+Following Directions=Success
An intelligent, brilliant read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Eye-Opening, April 10, 2013
Thought I was smart and savvy about sources of scholarships----this book let me know just how DUMB I really am! Worth it's weight in gold. Highly recommend it to any and all high school students who want to go on to college but can't afford it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, July 8, 2013
I was disappointed that it did not have any real ways to win the scholarships...same ideas are in other books already.

Her web site isn't up either as she said in the book.

3.0 out of 5 stars A good Book if......, March 25, 2013
This review is from: Confessions of a Scholarship Winner (Kindle Edition)
When I watch her interview I thought it might help my son who is a junior in college and it might. However its really written to those just starting Highschool and have a few years to build a scholarship resume. During the interview she says that she is just average, this young lady is anything but average. She was 100% dedicated to getting scholarship to attend school. She worked daily to that goal and accomplished it with flying colors. I recommend it for those just starting HIghschool, but if you are in college you might get a few pointers but large parts of the book just wont apply to you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Motivational and Full of Great Info!, March 25, 2013
This review is from: Confessions of a Scholarship Winner (Kindle Edition)
My guidance counselor suggested that I take a look at this book and I am so glad that she did! I am a sophomore in high school and never thought college was a possibility. No one in my family has ever gone to college and we don't have a lot of money. But I really like school and dream of being vet some day cause I love animals! I thought I would settle for being a vet tech some day, but after reading this book I think I might actually be able to be a real vet! Reading her book made me believe in myself and it gave really good advice about how to find scholarships and what I should be doing. I think this book is awesome and every student who isn't sure about college or if they can make it happen should definitely read this book!

Confessions of a Scholarship Winner