4.0 out of 5 stars I was also a one-time teenage drama queen!
Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen is one of the best tween comedies to come out in years. The title is brilliant, the poster is very cute, and Lindsay Lohan does not disappoint with her acting. It's a simple story and the plot is almost nonexistant, but it is told in a unique and very clever away.

Overall, I really enjoyed the film, but two things bothered...
Published on August 2, 2004 by Mark Twain

3.0 out of 5 stars Lindsay Lohan shines, but deserves better script.
Published on July 3, 2004 by Angelica Verst

4.0 out of 5 stars I was also a one-time teenage drama queen!, August 2, 2004
This review is from: Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen (DVD)

Overall, I really enjoyed the film, but two things bothered me. It would have been nice for some of the lesser characters to have been fleshed out, especially Lohan's love interest, who is just not given enough to do. I couldn't understand why they liked each other or how they got together at the end. His character had no purpose and only seemed to be there to have the 'needed' love interest. Doesn't work! Also, the musical number near the end of the film seemed to come out of nowhere, and only to promote Lohan's CD. It was a cheap shot and didn't work and ALMOST, but not quite, ruined what is an otherwise top-notch entry in forgettable tween comedies.

I think the reason the film ultimately succeeds is because of Lohan's character Lola (Real Name: Mary), who is very fun and likeable. Her view of life is a great one and I am sure the drama queen in all of us can relate to her exaggerated way of thinking. Lohan brings charm and sass to the role and makes her character very special. Lola is one of the most wonderful cinematic characters I have encountered and she truly made the film rise above-average.

Add the always wonderful Carol Kane, Glenne Headly, Adam Garcia (Coyote Ugly), and Alison Pill (Pieces of April) to the mix, and you have a winner. This was truly a nice change of pace.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lindsay Lohan shines, but deserves better script., July 3, 2004
This review is from: Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen (DVD)
Lindsay Lohan is a splendid actress who made the remakes of THE PARENT TRAP and FREAKY FRIDAY really special. She tries with her same talent and charm in this, but can't save the movie from being ultimately just a bit stupid. One hopes this doesn't represent her wave of the future. Hopefully she'll go on to get better roles rivaling those first two mentioned. This movie just dwells a little too much on the obsession of her age group with a band called Siddarthur, that is breaking up and causing everyone to think their world is ending. Siddarthur is a fictitious band, I suppose. Is it meant to be a pun on Siddharta? Anyhow this films features Lohan's character's and her friend's adventures as they roam New York City trying to get to Siddarthur's last concert. Meanwhile, back in her suburban school, Lohan's character is trapped in a grudge match with the school bully as to who will play the lead in the class play. Some things work themselves out in various ways, but some opportunities are missed, and a bit too much of it is more silly than entertsaining.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lindsay is a queen, August 31, 2004
This review is from: Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen (DVD)
I see a lot of reviews floating around of people saying just how unrealistic and ridiculous this movie was. And I have to say... duh, people! Being unrealistic and ridiculously funny was the whole point of this movie. Sorry if it didn't have a deep, scary tradgedy and oh, yes, no one died. How sad for you poor, violence loving, plot overrating reviewers.

One thing I have to admit is that when my sister bought me the DVD I wasn't looking forward to watching the movie because I thought it would be boring and I'd fall asleep and yada, yada, yada. I was totally and completely wrong and I beg Lindsay to forgive me for my judging the movie by its cover.

Within the first couple minutes of watching the movie my sister and I were cracking up like nobody's business. We've enjoyed all of Lindsay's movies like Parent Trap, Life Size, and, of course, Mean Girls, and this one exceeded the level of awesome. It is on a level of awesome, which awesome hasn't even seen yet. The laughs are nonstop and I MEAN nonstop.

The characters were all so very wonderful. First there's Lola. See, I knew she would be dramatic, but that dramatic? It was cool. Plus I liked her parents. Then there was Ella. Sweetie turned toughie by her new best friend. Plus Lola and Ella became sort of like soul sisters, which is something I can relate to. Carla, the classic bitch, is next. I was surprised by her. Why? Because the evil character is supposed to be an ugly airhead. Why in anyone's name was she that hot? That was just... different. Change of pace, though. I liked it. My favorite character out of all of them, though, was Miss Baggolli. She DEFINED funny. I was up all night laughing at her parts. I literally didn't get any sleep. She is the best teacher character I have ever seen and she was just so cool. Did I mention I really liked her voice?

All and all, despite the flaws, like Lola and Sam's rushed relationship, this movie was perfect. I really liked the ending. The truth is exposed and everyone is happy. Happy is good, right? I love the big happies. So, what I'm saying is, don't rent this movie. BUY it. That's an order.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent family-oriented fare, could have been better, July 15, 2004
Jed Shlackman (Miami, FL United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen (DVD)
This is the type of movie that belongs on TV. Lindsay Lohan is multi-talented and charismatic as "Lola" who feels like a fish out of water when her mom moves from NY to NJ. She wants to be the drama queen in more ways than one, and engages in making up stories to impress peers in her new town. The drama instructor character is a bit annoying, and the battle for acceptance among teenage girls is becoming a cliche. The music in the film is OK (Lohan sings multiple songs, and this movie features another cover version of Bowie's "Changes," recently included in Shrek 2) while the whole storyline about Lola and her not-dead dad and the Sid-Arthur concert are like something from a TV comedy show or TV movie. This movie is aimed at a young audience and it shows. That said, this movie is fine for what it is, but it could have aspired to more, especially at the end where things are wrapped up too quickly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad!, September 8, 2004
This review is from: Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen (DVD)
Recently, I rented `Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen', and I found it to be above average. I did not find it as bad as other reviewers in amazon.com about this movie. When you see a Disney movie with Lindsay Lohan on the poster of the movie, you should expect to see a teen movie that is unbelievable yet funny, and that is what Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen delivers.

It seems like Disney is now putting Lindsay Lohan for every teenage movie that they release, which is good, because she suits the role perfectly for all of them. After acting in other movies such as `The Parent Trap', `Life-Size', `Freaky Friday' and `Mean Girls' she comes back to the big screen with `Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen'. When I rented this movie, I never really got my hopes up high because I knew what type of a movie I was expecting to see. The story revolves around Lola (Lohan), a teenager living in New York City, who dreams of being a big actress someday. However, she feels her dreams are shattered, when she moves to the suburbs in New Jersey, with her mother and her sisters. Nevertheless, she makes friends with a girl name Ella, as well as makes rivals with the most popular girl in the new school. She makes up stories to her friends to make herself seem more interesting to fit in better. She tries competing with her rival in all the ways that she can, and ends up making a bet, which she cannot live up to. In the way, she realizes that by being truthful to herself and others, she can achieve anything and that is what really matters in the end.

Lindsay Lohan plays her role really well as Lola. She is very convincing for her part and delivers perfectly. Some of the scenes in the movie are very funny, but some of them are unnecessary and could be avoided. Some of the songs in the background fit well to this movie, but most of them sound the same. True, this is not AS good as `Freaky Friday', but it is still amusing. On the whole, if you want a really serious, thought-provoking movie, then you should avoid this. However, if you want a casual, lighthearted fun teen movie, then you should rent this movie.

4.0 out of 5 stars Movies aren't SUPPOSED to be realistic!!, June 17, 2005
This review is from: Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen (DVD)
I liked the movie, even though, yes, the plot and a lot of the events are unrealistic. SO WHAT?! That's what the fun of a movie is about!! That's why we HAVE movies, to show about stuff THAT DOESN'T HAPPEN EVERY DAY!!! Does it REALLY matter? I enjoyed the movie, i thought it was very funny, and a good movie. Yes, most of the events ARE unrealistic, and could'nt really happen, but do i care?! NO! Movies are there for a reason- to show us what wild ideas people have of things that CAN'T HAPPEN IN EVERY DAY LIFE!! Otherwise, every movie would be about what you saw in your everyday life! Why do you think Harry Potter is so popular? Do people really go around saying, "i don't like this movie because it can't happen"?? No, it's a very popular movie, and until people realize that special effects and things are MADE for things THAT CAN'T HAPPEN, they're just gonna go around spoil sports about every movie until they find one that is COMPLETELY boring and TOTALLY realistic, what happens and what we see in a normal and BORING day!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good For What It Was Intended To Be, August 2, 2004
J. Reynolds (Houston, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen (DVD)
This was an excellent film for young teens occupying a particular window of life who likely will see relevance, humor and drama throughout this story. The family's move to a strange town, the divorced parents, the worship of a rock star -- all accompanied by vivid daydreams and, you have to admit it, lies to friends about the real situation -- all reflect the lives of young film-goers. Additionally, if you knew any of the "theater people" when you were in high school, you will recognize their portrayal in this movie as wholly accurate.

An unexpected observation: The young rock star, whom Lola rescued when he was drunk, acted like a youthful, innocent Albert Spica (from another movie), stumbling around talking constantly, with non-sequitur statements and questions. It's a good thing Lola's father was present to chaperone.

1.0 out of 5 stars Lindsay, you can do better!, July 7, 2004
This review is from: Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen (DVD)
I'm sure everyone's already given away the plot enough by now. I just wanted to say I hated this movie.
Lindsay Lohan is a really good actress and all, but this movie was one of her worst. She can definitely do better.
I thought the singing, dancing, and the outfits Lola (played by Lohan) wore in the movie were cool, but that's all.
This movie is extremely boring.
I hope Lindsay's upcoming movies are better.

3.0 out of 5 stars Often Dragging Plot, July 27, 2004
This review is from: Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen (DVD)
"Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen" is not the greatest film of 2004, though it has some entertaining scenes. It stars Lindsay Lohan, Allison Pill, and Oscar nominees Andy Garcia and Carol Kane. Though the chain of events has its creative times, it drags unnecessary in some scenes. The film may have been more entertaining if it wasn't overdramatized or overcomedized in those particular scenes. It seems like the writers were thinking more about the unusual personalities than the overall plot. A few add to the entertainment value wonderfully while most should have been omitted. However, the music was performed and written very well. The songs jumpstart the audiences' attention, keeping them watching for a while longer. Fans of the film "Freaky Friday" will be surprised with Lohan's performance. She didn't act her role as Lola nearly as well as before. In fact, half her lines were highly unconvincing. Maybe it was the director's fault because his job also could have improved. However some actors shined in the roles, namely Garcia as the rocker. Those looking for a truly fun movie should stay away from "Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen". Although some may like it, "Freaky Friday" is much better.

2.0 out of 5 stars Lizzie McGuire meets MK&A, July 8, 2004
This review is from: Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen (DVD)
What can I say? When I was 12, I read the book and loved it. I leant it to my friends and they loved it. We were glad when we heard the movie came out. But we were dissapointed. What could have been an excellent movie was wreaked by the animated scenes, and the focus on the rock concert because she has a crush on the lead singer. Carla Santini was portrayed as being just a little mean when in the book she's much more.
The book, had the movie been faithful to it, could have been as good as Mean Girls but right now it's just the Lizzie McGuire movie meets New York Minute, all played by Lindsay Lohan wearing feathers and a head scarf. I though that the girl who played Ella did a good job but Lindsay Lohan was just somehow out of sync when everything was going on. Hey, maybe I got so attached to the book that I just expected to much. But I recomend the book far more highly, if you're over 11. Happy viewing.

Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen
Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen by Sara Sugarman (DVD - 2004)
$6.25 $5.33