Confessions
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:$6.70 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on November 18, 2004
Format: Audio CD
I'm 100% for reissuing and re-releasing albums. They're a great way to introduce a time-tested classic to a younger, uninitiated audience, and most record labels often remaster the original recording for a fuller and superior sound. Reissuing an album is acceptable for a 40 year old album, a 30 year old album, a 20 year old album, or even a 10 year old album. But to reissue a CD roughly seven months after its original release date smacks of naked corporate greed. For Arista (the parent company of LaFace Records), it's not enough that Usher's "Confessions" shot to Number One, went multiplatinum, and spawned back-to-back hits. In a transparent attempt to double-dip into the pockets of consumers, they take Usher's album (which, by the way, is a good record on its own merits), repackage it with new photos (for those who savor the sight of Usher's torso), and slap on 4 tracks that include the recent hit "My Boo" (with Alicia Keys). So, the question begs, are these 4 songs strong enough to make a wise consumer buy the same album twice? No. "My Boo" is a pretty decent single, but "Red Light" and "Seduction" have "filler" written all over them. The "remix" of "Confessions" is virtually identical to the original; the main difference is that it features Shyne, Kanye West and Twista on the mike. Why couldn't Arista release these 4 songs as a separate EP? Why add these tracks onto previously released material and add a few "new" glossy color photos? Because Arista wants to milk its cash cow for what its worth, and it will stoop low enough to entice people to buy the same album twice. If you have no version of "Confessions," then I suppose you could get this one. But those who have the March 2004 edition have absolutely no reason to get this poor excuse of a "special edition" CD.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 6, 2004
Format: Audio CD
I don't have anything against the music, what I do take issue with is an artist releasing a CD then all of a sudden a few months later releasing the same CD with new tracks!!! Why not give the people what they want the first time instead of sticking them up and having them buy the CD twice!!! Both Usher and Arista should feel heavy duty shame by their greedy moneygrabbing ways!!!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 4, 2005
Format: Audio CD
As R and B singer Usher's latest CD Confessions (the limited addition) gets higher ratings, more and more fans crowd the nearest music stores to buy a copy. Once you get a taste of his music from the radio, you will not be able to resist the temptation of buying his CD.

The first song Usher released off his CD was "Yeah" featuring Lil Jon and Ludacris. It was a hit. It's great beat,just like many other songs on his CD, gives you a vibe which makes you want to dance. Not only did "Yeah" get a good review but so did his duet with Alicea Keys "My Boo" which was #1 on BET for about two and a half weeks.Other videos made by Usher based on the songs off of this CD were "Burn", "Confessions Pt.1 and 2" and "Caught Up".

Most of Ushers songs are based on a bad breakup. He was interviewed and asked if those songs were based on the breakup between him and TLC member Chilly.Usher stated that it was all a rumor.

Usher is a very inspiring artist.With quotes such as "Learn from the mistakes of others you can't make them all" and "Anger is only one letter short of danger." Anyone feeling depressed will get lifted up again. So if you follow Usher's advice take my advice too and trust me when I tell you buy this CD as soon as possible. Usher's CD Confessions is a hit no one can resist.
on March 23, 2004
Format: Audio CD
"Confessions," the fifth long-player from ATL's Usher Raymond, is more than a new album. It's also a mature step forward and an exercise in self-examination. Here, Usher unloads some serious baggage, ranging from infidelity (the title track and "Truth Hurts"), materialism ("Simple Things"), unwanted pregnancy (the title track again), and failed relationships, particularly his breakup with TLC's Chili. But that's not to say "Confessions" is all drama and no fun. The album is neatly divided between uptempo jams and smooth ballads, and Usher doesn't disappoint on either front. At first listen, I wasn't a huge fan of the kickoff single "Yeah!" (featuring Ludacris and Lil' Jon), but over time, this catchy hip hop-flavored number caught onto me very quickly. Other decent cuts are "Superstar," the Jam & Lewis-produced "That's What It's Made For," and the downtempo groove of the killer closer, "Follow Me." Well produced and with minimal filler (I could have done without the messy "Do it To Me"), "Confessions" lives up to its title thanks to its honest lyrics and its tight production. Grade: B.
on October 7, 2004
Format: Audio CD
I agree w/ another reviewer. I am an Usher fan especially since he's down w/ my boy Michael Jackson. The problem is I bought the first release of this album and now he re-released it w/ 4 extra songs? Thanks a lot Usher, way to screw your loyal fans! My opinion of him has changed because of this move. I'm not gonna waste more money on your updated Confessions.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 27, 2005
Format: Audio CD
Recently, Usher debuted his new video for "Caught Up." It's a twenty minute "short film." For those of you that don't know, the pioneer of this short film concept is Michael Jackson. This is the latest example of Usher trying to be Michael Jackson. But the problem is, he never will be. I heard someone say "Yeah!" was the new Billie Jean, and I was about to throw myself off the bridge. I'll tell you why.

First of all, the updated version is a scam. Realizing the song "My Boo" could be a massive hit (which it was) Usher was upset to realize after that moment of glee that this would have no affect on the sales of Confessions, as it's not on the album. Since he's obsessed with album sales, he re-released the album as a "special edition" MONTHS after the original release with the song. Since then, an additional 2 million or more copies have been sold. How he's sold out just baffles me. But I have to give him props for realizing he could do this and fool everyone just for his own gain.

He's arrogant. He has called himself the future of music. He wants to be the richest person in the world in the next few years. That's impossible. He would have to literally sell BILLIONS of albums, which will never happen. He doesn't care about the fans. WAKE UP PEOPLE! All he cares about is that his album sells and everyone eats up his insipid music.

Okay, I don't want to come in here all jumping to conclusions, so I listened to the album so I'm not unfairly judging him. It's in my eyes the same tired R&B hip-hop we've seen in the past few years. Yeah! got waaaaaaaay overplayed, and I don't think the CD justifies the 9 million people who have bought it so far. I'm not insulting anyone, but I think he has seriously fooled the world.

This album will probably move 10 million copies. That's very good. I wish it wouldn't have sold more than 5 million but oh well. But will anyone REMEMBER this album in 15 years? People remember Rumours from Fleetwood Mac, Thriller from Michael Jackson, anything Madonna's ever made, Jagged Little Pill, White Album, and so forth. But this album doesn't have the artistic merit nor the universal appeal of those classic works and others. This is mediocre shlock that needs to drop off the charts like....right now.

I have to sound spiteful, but I hope his commercial decline begins with his next album and I'll like it. Before you accuse me of being jealous, know that I'm too mature and self-fulfilled to be jealous of some singer. Thank you for reading this. At least you took the time to get the perspective of a non-fan.
Format: Audio CD
I've heard a lot of people say that Usher is an underrated artist. And you may say, "How? He's put out three albums, he's had at least three #1 hits, and his 'U Don't Have To Call' won a Grammy!" Well, I think Usher is a very talented singer, but I've noticed usually the best songs on his albums aren't released, and there are a number of not-so-good songs that surround the good ones. Such is the case with his latest album, Confessions.
Now, we're all familiar with the hit song "Yeah!" (although Lil Jon has a habit of completely taking over songs that he's only featured in). There are other good songs, too. Usher usually delivers when it comes to ballads, and he doesn't disappoint with offerings like the revealing title track. And this time around, the songs Jermaine Dupri wrote are quite impressive, as evidenced by "Burn" and "Do It To Me". The latter is perfect for getting the mood right, but "Can U Handle It" might do that even better.
Unfortunately, there's also some bad news. There are a couple songs that you can tell were written at the last minute, like "Superstar" and "Caught Up". And when Usher tries to sing over sped-up (or chopped-up) old soul samples, he hits ("Throwback") and misses ("Take Your Hand"). And I don't think the album would have suffered if "Bad Girl" or "Follow Me" weren't on here.
Overall, Confessions still has more good songs than bad songs, and it's worth adding to your collection. I just wish that Usher could shine more when he doesn't just stick to ballads, because he does have what it takes to keep the party moving. Let's just hope the producers of the party joints step their game up and we'll see an even better album next time.
Anthony Rupert
on May 30, 2004
Format: Audio CD
Of Usher's big name CDs (My Way, 8701, Confessions) this is by far the worst. All of Usher's albums have had some filler but this album is packed full of it masquerading as what he and the teeny boppers of the world are calling "real R&B". Some reviewers here have called Usher a genius and the new Marvin Gaye. Thats one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. Look at the songwriting and production credits for this album, there are a number of songs where Usher didn't write a word (including "Yeah") and most other songs he co-writes with about 3-10 other people. He also didn't produce a single track. Some genius. The only genius I give him credit for here is the fact that he's conned so many people into buying this album. If you want to listen to some real soul/R&B music by some of the real male R&B geniuses listen to some Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder or R. Kelly.
on November 27, 2004
Format: Audio CD
Usher Raymond is a very popular man in today's music business. Girls love him, guys sing his music, and almost every single person in the world knows "Yeah!" or "Burn". Usher has been out since the early 90's, but he didn't get hot until he came out with his album entitled "Confessions". With the "Confessions: Special Edition", Usher delivers the original Confessions with 4 new songs and remakes of original songs such as "Throwback" which now features rapper Jadakiss, and "Confessions, Pt. 1" which was originally an interlude on the original CD. Although it isn't much of a change, it is definitely better than the original Confessions just because of one song, "Red Light".

1. Intro (10/10) - Although it's just an intro, it is so hot! It would have made a nice song. I always sing the ad-libs in the background.

2. Yeah! f/ Ludacris & Lil' Jon (10/10) - Usher's booty bumping single that rose him to the top of the charts. Nice beat, catchy lyrics, and hypnotizing chorus.

3. Throwback f/ Jadakiss (7/10) - Not one of the best songs, even with Jadakiss. The song is boring to me but I always sing-a-long with it.

4. Confessions, Pt. 1 (8/10) - Nice song but could have stayed an interlude. It is nice though which gets it an 8.

5. Confessions, Pt. 2 (10/10) - One of the nicest songs on the album. Another single that rose to the top. The video is really corny though. Does he always have to take his shirt off?

6. Burn (10/10) - Another single that was overplayed on the radio and on TV. No matter how many times you hear it, it never seems to get old. I love this song.

7. Caught Up (10/10) - Another radio played song. This is one of my favorite songs when I got the original "Confessions" CD.

8. Superstar (Interlude) (3/10) - Should have been a whole song instead of a little interlude. It makes no sense because he says some of the same things on the song "Superstar".

9. Superstar (8/10) - Nice lyrics with a nice slow beat. Not one of my favorites, but good overall.

10. Truth Hurts (7/10) - The chorus is the best thing about song. The song isn't all that. But it's OK.

11. Simple Things (4/10) - Kind of stupid. A slow, tragic beat with dumb lyrics. I skip this song a lot.

12. Bad Girl (9/10) - A hot R&B song with Electric Guitars in the background. I really like this song.

13. That's What It's Made For (9/10) - Who else but Usher could make a song about condoms and have it actually be nice? Usher is a big freak and comes out with it on this song. The part towards the end of the song is[...]

14. Can U Handle It? (10/10) - The 2nd best song on the album! It is a nice, slow joint with sweet lyrics and a hot chorus.

15. Do It To Me (1/10) - Really, really stupid and played out. I hate this song.

16. Take Your Hand (10/10) - This song is really hot! I love listening to this song and singing with Usher. He can really sing!

17. Follow Me (7/10) - An all right mid tempo song. It isn't the greatest but I listen to it.

18. My Boo duet w/ Alicia Keys (10/10) - I "fell in love" with this song it was "mine". LOL. "MY SONG!". Alicia is such a beautiful woman and her and Usher sure do harmonize together. I feel the version with Beyoncé is good as well! Beyoncé is far better than Alicia, but Alicia is a beautiful, talented, wonderful woman. They killed this song on the radio.

19. Red Light (20/10!!) - RED LIGHT! I LOVE THIS SONG! IT IS THE BEST USHER SONG IN THE WORLD! This song is produced by the dirty south artist Lil' Jon who also produced "Yeah!" Red Light has addictive lyrics and a hot, middle eastern vibe. I can't help but dance everytime I hear this song.

20. Seduction (10/10) - A nice, slow song dedicated to women. Usher sure knows how to sing to the ladies.

21. Confessions, Pt. 2 [Remix] f/ Kanye, Twista, and Shyne (9/10) - A nice remix with top rappers in the game today. I love the part with Shyne on the phone! LOL. It represents that although he is behind bars, he can still hold down the game.

GO GET THIS CD!
on May 23, 2004
Format: Audio CD
I love this CD. some of the songs weren't good when i first heard them but now I love them. I would definately suggest buying this album.
1. Intro--(7/10) Its not that great, but its an intro so it doesn't really matter.
2. Yeah--(10/10) This song is amazing. Great beat
3. Throwback--(9.5/10) it picks up more when you get into the song
4. Confessions (Interlude)--(10/10) I love the singing on this track. a great intro to the next song too!
5. Confessions Part II--(10/10) this song is fantastic and u can really feel his pain
6. Burn--(10/10) a great slow song. its getting a lot of airplay and i can see why
7. Caught Up--(10/10) One of my favs, i really like the beat
8. Superstar (Interlude)--(8/10) I could've done w/o this one on the cd, but good nonetheless
9. Superstar--(9/10) this is one of the songs that's grown on me
10. Truth hurts--(8.5/10) good listen, my not one of my favs
11. Simple Things--(10/10) Another great slow song that i really like to listen to
12. Bad Girl--(10/10) i like this song but i don't know why, its really catchy
13. That's what its made for--(9.5/10) interesting lyrics (lol) but i love the beat
14. Can you handle it--(7.5/10) i've heard alot of people like this song, but i just never really gotten into it
15. Do it to me--(8.5/10) i like it but sometimes it can get annoying
16. Take your hand--(10/10) i love this song as well. really great
17. Follow Me--(9.5/10) A good way to end the album, very catchy.
My favorites are:
1. Yeah
1. Caught Up
1. Confessions Part II (i can't decide between those 3)
4. Burn