5.0 out of 5 stars It was like God was right there with me... molding my heart!
Customer Video Review     Length:: 0:33 Mins
Published on July 21, 2011 by Catherine Carroll

1.0 out of 5 stars Did not speak to me.
It appears I am the first official 1 star review. The other 1 star review had something positive to say - so I truly feel alone. But I had a completely opposite reaction from the 5 star reviews to this book, and I want to write it for anyone who may be feeling the same way, and wondering if they are the only ones.

I surveyed the positive reviews trying to...
Published 21 months ago by Dreteck4

5.0 out of 5 stars It was like God was right there with me... molding my heart!, July 21, 2011
This review is from: A Confident Heart: How to Stop Doubting Yourself and Live in the Security of Godís Promises (Paperback)
Length:: 0:33 Mins

I feel like someone finally jumped in my head, and my heart and painted over my insecurities with God's word. "A Confident Heart" allowed God to peel the onion of my insecurity one layer at a time, addressing things I never even dreamed were impacting my confidence, like fear and worry. This is one of the books that I will pick up year after year to remind me of the power I have even in my most broken and hollow moments. ~Catherine C

5.0 out of 5 stars Finds You Where You Are, But Doesn't Leave You There, September 6, 2011
Are you tired of living with your fear-filled thinking, self-doubts, and your own negative-feedback? Then I encourage you to read A Confident Heart: How to Stop Doubting Yourself and Live in the Security of God's Promises by Renee Swope. Through ample examples of her experiences and struggles in these areas, she leads us to see ourselves in Christ instead of in failure.

Each chapter portrays a valuable principle along with examples of Renee's struggles. The chapters end with Scripture-based prayer leading us to recovery and health. Included in each chapter, is a list of pointed questions that make us search our deepest thoughts and feelings on the covered topic.

Not living in confidence, causes us to pretend we are something we are not, because we think that is what others expect of us. I was struck by Renee's insight on this:

"Pretending leads to hiding and isolation. What we need is someone who will pursue us and accept us even though we're flawed. Yet most of us doubt anyone would ever stick with us if we let them get too close. So we put up walls and hide our struggles, even from God, hoping, we'll convince Him and everyone else that we're fine. Eventually, though, we find ourselves in the shadows of doubt, convinced that we aren't worth knowing or pursuing. Slowly we begin to believe we have to be perfect to be loved and accepted." p. 32

Renee points out this in regards to the conversation between Jesus and the woman at the well, "He helped her... see that each broken relationship (with past husbands) had convinced her she was not worth staying for."

How many of us have broken relationships with family and old friends? Those broken relationships often set us up for the next failed relationship which only continues to reinforce our lack of self-worth.

The solution? Renee says, "We were made for love that isn't measured by our last accomplishment but marked by God's measureless grace." (p. 62)

She recognizes that, "When you have been wounded, the risk of getting hurt again seems more costly, and perhaps even more likely, doesn't it?" p. 72

Many of us will have to remind ourselves of Renee`s perspective on family when we become entangled in a web of self-doubts that we have born for years. "We'll also need to realize our family of origin does not define our identity.....Whether we had a great family or not, our hearts will only find lasting confidence when we find our identity as children of God." (p. 90)

Learn more about Renee and her ministry at [...].

I received a copy of A Confident Heart from Revell/Baker Publishing.

5.0 out of 5 stars I think she had access to my heart while she was writing..., October 11, 2011
I first met Renee Swope in an elevator at my first She Speaks Conference.

If I remember correctly, I was bolting up to my hotel room to touch up my lipstick before a publisher appointment.

I was struck by her sweet smile and the hint of mischief in her eyes. Later in the weekend, she shared a stirring message about living beyond the shadow of doubt.

I'm not one who remembers message topics years later, but I remember that one because it spoke straight to the desperate need of my heart.

I heard Renee's message just as I was embarking on a terrible, horrible, beautiful, life-changing quest for wholeness.

The last few years have been a bumpy road of milestones and setbacks. I've been so low I wanted to die and as steady as an elephant's back.

Recently, I read Renee's beautiful book, A Confident Heart.

As I absorbed each page, I felt like it was a chronicle of all the lessons I've learned over these years of healing. Chapter-after-chapter, I found myself nodding in agreement with Renee's hard-won wisdom and perspective.

Using her own experiences, Renee takes her readers from the shadow of self-doubt to the sunshine of security in Christ.

Doubts seem true in the shadow.

I can't do this. Things will never change. My life will never get any better. Change is too hard.

Renee wrestled with all those doubts and more until she came to realize that "doubt and hope cannot live in our hearts at the same time."

Renee explains that it's ok not to be perfect because we serve a God who is. His love won't fail even when we do.

We don't have to pretend to have it all together. Guess what? No one else has it together either!

However, it's not easy to be honest about our doubts and insecurities. "We fear that if people know we doubt ourselves, they'll start doubting us too." Those of us who struggle with insecurity tend to be expert pretenders, but eventually, we just can't do it anymore. And that's just where God wants us.

He wants us raw, restless, and real.

Like the Samaritan woman Renee affectionately calls "Sam", the only way God can "satisfy the thirst of [our] soul [is] to help [us] see it."

Only Christ can quench the thirst we have for true love and acceptance. Once we quit trying to fill our well with counterfeit water, God is free to pour into us from His limitless supply.

God guarantees us a hope-filled future no matter how hopeless our past seems.

He finds a way to make every painful experience from the past into something beautiful, useful, and redeemable.

We must let God rewrite our stories.

Renee writes, "The Holy Spirit showed me I needed to remake my memories by seeing how Jesus had been there all along, and then replace the lies my wounds had led me to believe with new truths He was teaching me through Scripture."

Like Sam (and Renee), we can allow God to make our mess into His message.

There's only one way to live beyond the shadow of our doubts. We must change our focus from self to God. "Turning leads to transforming...and transforming leads to believing as God's thoughts [about us] become our Truth."
Turning away from self
Turning away from doubt
Turning away from darkness
Turning toward God
Turning toward Truth
Turning toward Light
When doubt whispers "I'm not good enough," we must remember that we get our "good enough" from God, not our own efforts.

When doubt whispers "I'm such a failure," we can take hope in the truth that our failures don't have the final say; Jesus does.

When doubt whispers "I don't have anything special to offer," we can be assured that we have unique abilities gifted to us from God Himself.

When doubt whispers "I can't stop worrying," we can rest in the strong arms of God's powerful promises.

When doubt whispers "I can't follow God consistently," we can let God's "grace cover our guilt" and turn us from "wimps to warriors."

We can live beyond the shadow of doubt! The more we know our God, the more we will trust Him, believe Him, and obey Him.

Sister, if you are drowning in doubt, fear, and insecurity, you don't have to live like that any more. Jesus wants to make you well. He is able! He did it for "Sam." He did it for Renee Swope. He did it for me.

Renee's beautiful book, A Confident Heart: How to Stop Doubting Yourself and live in the Security of God's Promises, is a tool God can use to lovingly guide you to assurance, peace, and security.

Not only does the book contain strong, biblical teaching, Renee provides a wealth of practical resources to help you along the way.

My favorite is a listing of the names of God. I will be using that list in my prayer life, lots.

She also provides information about the personality types and the spiritual gifts to help readers understand how they are made and how they are gifted by the Holy Spirit.

The entire book is chock-full of life-giving Scripture readers can cling to and share with others.

I encourage you to pick up copies of A Confident Heart for yourself and someone you love. It would make a wonderful small group study.

5.0 out of 5 stars like words from a friend, July 20, 2011
Renee Swope knows what she's talking about. In A Confident Heart, Renee shares the truth about living free from doubt with beauty, vulnerability, and grace. Reading this book, I don't feel like someone is preaching to me. Instead, it's like Renee and I are sitting together in her cozy living room and I'm nodding my head with every word she says.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Highly Recommend This Book, October 10, 2011
Kay "Kay" (Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio United States) - See all my reviews
An outstanding book for anyone, especially those with self-esteem and self-worth "issues". I could identify with Renee from the first chapter. Definitely a book I will read over again. The study questions are probing and help you evaluate your own life and experiences. Renee helps the reader to see herself through God's lens, not the warped lens we are so accustomed to using (our own). Reading the book is good, putting it into practice and taking a hard look at your own life is better. I definitely recommend this book!

1.0 out of 5 stars Did not speak to me., January 3, 2013

I surveyed the positive reviews trying to understand why I did not feel the same way, and was immediately frustrated by the people who gave this book a 4 or 5 star review with not even reading the book. The only three star review states: "Just started reading this and will update as I go along. Excited to start as I have heard Renee speak and now have the opportunity to read her words." Unhelpful. Then, a BUNCH of 4 and 5 star reviews stating they're just starting the book and an online study with the author and they're excited. (An entire study group of people wrote this identical review). Also unhelpful. One review actually stated that they were asked to come online and rate the book before the study. I tried to find it again to post it, but the process took too much time.

It's been a few months since I read the book. It was a library loan, and I don't have it physically as I write this review to quote specific parts that I did not enjoy, but I'll list my main frustrations.

It asks a lot of questions. Paragraphs begin and end with questions, and I just don't find that form of writing helpful. It reminds me of gimmicky commercials on TV. Do you have insurance on this car? Are you worried about a loved one? Are you tired of being in debt? They're distracting. And it makes the content feel manipulative, in a way.

I could not relate to the author or content. Despite many people saying that it was "real", it actually felt contrived. For me, it was "fluffy". It just missed something, depth. I struggled to finish it and did so primarily on the premise that I wanted to finish what I started. It's months later, and nothing stuck. Definitely not my style, but that's the beauty of literary diversity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Transformational, August 23, 2013
I love how this book knocks you to your knees right off the bat. If you are or have been struggling with not feeling adequate, insecurities and have the confidence level of zero- this book helps you walk through all the challenges and victories you can have through a confident heart in God!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the only non-fiction books I've finished...and loved., September 28, 2011
If you are looking for a practical way to apply God's Word to the areas of your deepest insecurities, as well as an enjoyable and personable read, this book is for you.

God used just about every chapter to hit a specific place in my heart. Having struggled with insecurity for so long, it has been a blessing beyond imagination to have someone basically tell MY story, without even knowing it. Renee also includes very practical exercises to do at the end of each chapter so that you can begin literally replacing the lies of insecurity with the truths of God's Word. This goes along with other books like Battlefield of the Mind by Joyce Meyer. I've been truly amazed at the timing, even of me reading each specific chapter. I'll be wrestling with some form of doubt, pick up the book, and even just the title of the next chapter will be EXACTLY what I'm dealing with. It's really been amazing. God absolutely used this book in my life, and He still is as I re-read it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Purge Your Heart of Doubt and Insecurity, September 1, 2011
If you are plagued with doubt, then you'll want to get a copy of A Confident Heart by Renee Swope. Through her personal experience of self-doubt and even depression, Renee shares her personal story of struggle and finding truth in God's promises. When she turned to scripture for guidance she discovered a confident heart and a changed outlook. In her book, Renee identifies common triggers of insecurity and illustrates how we can rely on the power of God's promises so that we find the security we need and the confidence we long for!

If you've ever felt like you're not good enough, smart enough, or valuable enough or suddenly found yourself lacking confidence, then this book is written for you. I found Renee's writing style to be transparent and with her authenticity and shared experiences. She communicates with a pure heart of love and her gentleness speaks volumes into a confident heart! Powerful scripture prayers are at the end of each chapter, along with Bible study questions and a chart with thirty-one different promises to overcome our most common self-doubts.

*Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from Revell Books as part of their blogger review program . I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST Read!!, July 24, 2011
I knew I struggled with doubt, but "A Confident Heart" has shown me the depth of this stronghold in my life. Doubt affects all areas - wife, mom, friend, ministry leader and most importantly child of God. God has convicted me, challenged me and brought me to tears as I see myself on the pages of this book! But more than that - through Renee's transparency, teaching, and His promises God has used "A Confident Heart" to encourage me, equip me and change me!!! Honestly, I believe everyone should read this book!
~Jill B.