‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, A Book That Answers My Questions!, June 22, 2012
Opal (Newington, CT USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Confronting Hereditary Breast and Ovarian Cancer: Identify Your Risk, Understand Your Options, Change Your Destiny (A Johns Hopkins Press Health Book) (Paperback)
I just read a paragraph in this book that could have come out of my own mouth...that's how it's so important to me. The subject of genetic counseling and testing specific to breast cancer was hidden years ago (I know my doctor never mentioned it: even with my extensive family history of breast cancer, and the increasing need for repeat mammograms when routine ones showed "something." I found out about genetic counseling/testing through an article in PEOPLE Magazine, & began my own investigation from there (totally alone-I was married to my now ex-husband who made it clear from the start he would NOT help me with any of this..1 reason I divorced him among many others.) There was no literature about "previvors" - women who took action to prevent inevitable breast cancer from starting. The American Cancer Society did NOT consider me a breast cancer survivor since they said I had never had breast cancer..a prophylactic double mastectomy didn't matter to them. This book shows that it DOES matter, and how genetic testing can stop cancer before it has a chance to start. I urge anyone reading this review to be proactive regarding their own lives & the lives of their loved ones, and buy this excellent book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, very informative, and easy to read., February 9, 2012
This is a wonderful book to read whether you want to learn more about hereditary breast and ovarian cancer; whether you know someone who is BRCA1/BRCA2; or you personally have the genetic mutation. Having BRCA 2 myself and having had a bilateral mastectomy and oopherectomy, this book reinforced my personal decisions, while allowing others to understand their options and choices. It also contains many great references/links to check out. Information is what we need to make sound, informative, personal choices. My thanks to all those involved, especially Sue Friedman.

5.0 out of 5 stars A phenomenal resource!, April 30, 2012
The authors of 'Confronting Hereditary Breast and Ovarian Cancer' should be commended for creating this extraordinary resource. This book provides balanced information and answers to common and uncommon questions about hereditary breast and ovarian cancer. It is an excellent resource not only for individuals and families with hereditary breast and ovarian cancer, but for health care providers, payers, laboratories and policy makers. The book includes excellent facts with insightful stories from individuals with hereditary breast and ovarian cancer and expert commentary from leading national cancer and genetic experts. Each chapter of the book also includes a summary of important take home messages, and links to additional resources. The fourth section of the book includes information that is not commonly found in the literature, but is vital for the life course of patients with any hereditary cancer syndrome. It is truly a book that could save you and your family's life and is a must read!

5.0 out of 5 stars The answers to your questions ..., March 1, 2012
Ami H "Ami" (Arlington, VA (USA)) - See all my reviews
All the questions you might have -- and also the ones you haven't thought of yet -- are answered. The authors provide up-to-date information on understanding and managing your risk and also direct readers to authoritative sources to learn more. I especially like the way the authors respect the many different ways that people cope with these issues. There's no single right answer that is best for everyone; with this book as your guide, you'll be able to decide what's right for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent guide for patients and health professionals, March 13, 2012
This is a remarkably accurate, comprehensive, and practical guide for patients, doctors and family members. The text is clearly written and well-organized, with informative comments by experts and compelling stories told by people who have confronted hereditary breast and ovarian cancer on a personal level. As a physician practicing in this area of medicine, I highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative book!, April 2, 2012
Great book and very informative.!!!! As a previvor myself and really enjoyed reading it. I will recommend this book to other previvors I know in Texas!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the most honest, clear, informative book I have ever read regarding Hereditary Breast and Ovarian Cancer., March 7, 2012
As someone who has BRCA1 in her family I found this book to be so clear and easy to understand. I feel it is not only a must for someone who is a known gene carrier, but for those who love us.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you, February 28, 2012
As a BRCA1 breast cancer survivor, this is the best, most informative, well written book on the topic of hereditary breast and ovarian cancer out there. It is clear, compassionate, factual, and brings together a wealth of information that is very hard to find anywhere else. The tone of the book is about understanding your risk and understanding your options. When my daughter is old enough, this will be the book I give her to understand her own risks and help her make her own choices. Thank you, simply thank you, to the authors.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Book That Can Help You Save Your Own Life, February 27, 2012
From start to finish, this wonderful resource gives women at risk for breast and ovarian cancer the tools they need to move forward. Essentially, the tools they may need to save their own lives. It can also help their families, their friends, and those who have yet to figure out their BRCA status. From the medical to the emotional, Sue Friedman, Rebecca Sutphen and Kathy Steligo cover all the bases. I have LIVED this book. I had both breast cancer and early-stage, pre-invasive ovarian cancer, and I have the BRCA1 mutation. I WISH I had this book 15 years ago. If you want details on surgery, testing, treatment, side effects...or just counseling and survival statistics, this book has it all. It's about time!! And hopefully, it can save some lives.

5.0 out of 5 stars Confronting Hereditary Breast and Ovarian Cancer, February 25, 2012
If you are first learning about hereditary cancer or if you have a family history of cancer, you need to read this book. It provides a step-by-step guide to learning about the world of HBOC. It is well written, informative and easy to read. Reading this book gave me the sense that I had a personal guide to help navigate the world of breast and ovarian cancer.

Confronting Hereditary Breast and Ovarian Cancer provides a wealth of information and helps explain why there is not always one right answer. Along with the information necessary to make informed decisions, the authors convey a sense that they are personally committed to helping and empowering others.

I wish this book had been available ten-years ago!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›