Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Men's Hightops Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Iron Maiden $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Now Deal of the Day
Customer Discussions > Reamde forum

Confusion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 21, 2011 6:14:48 AM PDT
"returns to the terrain of...Snow Crash, The Diamond Age, and Cryptonomicon"? The only things Cryptonomicon had in common with the other two was that: a) part of it took place in America b) It had reference to computers. Otherwise, pretty different universes!
Regardless of the genre/setting, very excited to see a new Stephenson novel come out!

Posted on Aug 21, 2011 5:14:32 PM PDT
Jason Krol says:
Yes I too am VERY excited for this book. Snow Crash is by far my most favorite book of all time. I was very dissappointed with all of NS followup work since then (and i know some people LOVE his other stuff - its just not for me). I also agree that mentioning Cryptonomicon in the same breath as SC and DA is a bit of a stretch.

Either way, this book description sounds pretty awesome and Im keeping my fingers crossed that it will bring me back to that feeling I had with Snow Crash!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2011 7:46:17 AM PDT
Gabriel Tarr says:
IIRC, Snow Crash and The Diamond Age were actually supposed to be the same world. There's an old lady in the Diamond Age that refers to her "teenaged skateboarder years", and she is in fact YT from Snow Crash. A slight, loose tie-in, to be sure. As for Cryptonomicon, I think you're right, it's more separate from the other two.

As for this new book, honestly, the description falls a little flat for me. I will probably still read it, but I don't expect it to be up to the likes of Snow Crash, Cryptonomicon, or Anathem. A lot of people bag on Anathem, but it's actually my favourite; I really dig all the metatheorical discussions. OTOH, I just couldn't get into the Baroque Cycle at all. C'est la vie...

GMT

Posted on Sep 3, 2011 10:41:31 PM PDT
Jonathan P says:
From my understanding, what is meant is it has similarities to Snow Crash in that it involves a virtual world online (an MMO game), and to Cryptonomicon in that it involves digital currency.

Posted on Sep 5, 2011 8:30:46 AM PDT
A Customer says:
If this book is half as good as Cryptonomicon or Snow Crash I will buy it. If it approaches the Baroque Cycle or Anathem I will not read it at all. Going to wait for the reviews, NS has disappointed me lately.

Posted on Sep 6, 2011 7:11:38 PM PDT
Bmack says:
Snow Crash was a sleeper. My son threw this paper back at me and said it was cool. I was desperate at the time and read it. Needless to say I was blown away. One of the all time SF, Fan, alternate world(and about ten other categories) best works of fiction ever created. Enormously original, just brilliant. What a mind. I also enjoyed everything else he has penned, but he could use a heavy dose of editing to provide some balance to the work. It shouts when it needs a whisper it detonates when it needs a chuckle. I would suggest about a quarter of the mushrooms per book. Although I love every word. I suspect he is an alien who has discovered steroids and HGH. But I love him with all his boils.

Posted on Sep 13, 2011 5:11:27 PM PDT
they just named those two books because they are his most known works. all his books (i've only read snow crash on so i am not familiar with his first two novels) seem to have recurring themes and ideas. also, they are all great.

i only can hope this book is not as good as his past 3 novels (counting the baroque cycle as one), because i read them at work and people start to think i'm crazy from the laughter and the occasional throwing the book to the ground after a particularly exciting chapter.

Posted on Sep 26, 2011 10:43:48 AM PDT
Jay says:
Loved it. Most like Cryptonomicon with shades of Snow Crash.
This is a keeper and will be re-read many times.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Reamde forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  Aug 21, 2011
Latest post:  Sep 26, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Reamde
Reamde by Neal Stephenson (Hardcover - September 20, 2011)
3.8 out of 5 stars (821)