Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 6, 2009 10:24:03 AM PST
I'm planning to move to Mexico (probably Guadalajara city limits) in 2010 and would like to meet other like minded people also contemplating a move.
I'm single with no childen but my pets will be emigrating with me. I've traveled extensively around Mexico as well as the world (not the typical American) and do have that sense of adventure and lust for change. I've always wanted to live in a foreign country and especially now that the U.S. society is unraveling at a fast pace.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2009 7:54:43 PM PDT
Betty says:
I am not currently planning to move to Mexico, but if I were I would choose San Miguel de Allende. It is a beautiful city with many interesting and cultural activities in which to participate.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2009 9:40:04 PM PDT
The problem with San Miguel as with all the "retirement havens' is they have become so expensive that you need a hefty retirement fund and/or pension plan. As I mentioned, I am seeking more of the normal type of person (rather than the retiree type) and being single, prefer the large cities with more cultural and social attractions.
You might do research about the current living conditions in San Miguel, i.e., housing prices are comparable to those in the U.S. due to the influx of the retired Americans whose pension plans and 401K's avoided the current economic fallout.
I've traveled all over the world including Mexico and most of my travel to Mexico has been in Spanish speaking areas rather than the confines of the resorts most Americans confine themselves.
I plan to live in a regular middle class mixed neighborhood where the cost of living is much less expensive than in the American dominated areas.
Even Mexicans are now complaining about the San Miguel area becoming "Americanized".

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2009 4:47:07 PM PDT
Betty says:
Two blogs which I enjoy are David Lida Blog, and Carol Schmidt Blog.
David ,a writer,lives in Mexico City and shares great photos and impressions.
Carol Schmidt leaves no stone unturned as she and her partner Norma wander the streets of San Miguel de Allende. Her descriptions of what it is like to live in San Miguel are very informative.

Posted on Sep 7, 2009 5:09:18 PM PDT
Unfortunately so far all the books on moving to Mexico are written by COUPLES, usually non-Spanish speaking and with some form of hefty retirement/pension plans.
Not everyone who emigrates to Mexico is in the above category but I wonder WHERE THEY ARE? And all of those accounts pretty much same the same thing in a slightly different version. And most are all in he high rent areas such as San Miguel, Puerto Valarta, etc.

Posted on Feb 2, 2010 3:51:41 PM PST
My friend Daniel moved to Puerta Vallarta from rainy Seattle, he likes it so much he set up a service for people who want to explore living in Mexcio http://paradise-lifestyles.com
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  Feb 6, 2009
Latest post:  Feb 2, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Live Better South of the Border in Mexico: Practical Advice for Living and Working
Live Better South of the Border in Mexico: Practical Advice for Living and Working by Mexico Mike Nelson (Unknown Binding)
3.9 out of 5 stars   (21)