Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Look Park Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

75%
25%
Format: Paperback|Change

on March 17, 2013
Revonsuo has produced a remarkable survey of the state-of-the-art in consciousness science. While he is quick to put down some works with which he does not agree (e.g. functionalism) these ideas are still covered and the reader will find the basics well explained. He may not make enough of the brittle ad hominum attacks of some students in the field on each other (e.g. Dennett & Searle). This is a very useful book as a reference for a philosophy course on consciousness.
on March 2, 2016
I am sorry to say but the Kindle version of this book was such a mess that I could not complete reading it.
Who is Revonsuo targeting this book, that remained a mystery to me.
Disappointed was I.
on June 8, 2010
If you are amazed, as I am, at the most ordinary of human experiences, and if you have been frustrated in your efforts, as I have, to understand the nature of such experiences, then you will appreciate this book.

The author applies scientific precision to investigate subjective human experience. He is able to refute misguided claims and explain what's really going on in our experience.

More importantly for me, he is able to locate where our experience occurs. This provides a crucial narrowing of focus to the actual processes involved. One learns what to examine intensely and what to exclude as irrelevant.

This evidence-based explanation provides the reader with the tools essential to evaluating the often contradictory claims made about human consciousness, most especially the phenomenological claims. This book does not advocate unscientific phenomenology.
on November 7, 2015
We used this book in our class for consciousness studies together with the author whom also happens to be our professor. First off I want to say that this book is great as an introduction and you do not need any prior knowledge about consciousness.

The book itself is mainly unbiased, Revonsuo states his own opinions in the very last chapter (conclusion). The book offers a great deal of explanations to different kinds of issues which makes it all easy to understand. Furthermore, Revonsuo has actually managed to throw in some witty humor, which at least I appreciated.

If your looking to get a broad understanding of consciousness than this is your book. Abstract and more in depth concepts are covered to some extent.

Great read, definitely a top book for me! 5/5!