Conservative NRO on Levin's book: "It was awful."

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 22, 2010 8:37:51 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 22, 2010 8:39:27 AM PDT
ignatov says:
Jim Manzi wrote a scathing review of "Liberty and Tyranny" at the conservative magazine National Review's blog, The Corner. Some highlights:

"when I waded into the first couple of chapters, I found that... it seemed to all but ignore the most obvious counter-arguments that could be raised to any of its assertions... [The chapter on global warming] was awful. It was so bad that it was like the proverbial clock that chimes 13 times - not only is it obviously wrong, but it is so wrong that it leads you to question every other piece of information it has ever provided....This is wingnuttery... it doesn't even present a reasoned argument for a specific point of view, other than that of willful ignorance."

Ouch.

http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=OTMzMTY2ZmU2ZGY1YzQ3N2Q0MWY4M2M4OTMyZGRjMjY=

Posted on May 15, 2010 9:10:02 PM PDT
SPF says:
True. It is an awful book. But Levin targets the relatively uneducated who are getting screwed by the aristocracy. His mission is to direct their anger at those who aren't causing the problem. It works. Just look how many people think Emperor Mark Levin is wearing beautiful clothes!

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2010 6:07:38 AM PDT
dedjr says:
You must be an SPF 80 - you're blocking beams of intelligence. I'll bet you didn't read the book - it is excellent.
Levin is an expert on the Constitution and I'd love to see him debate some of your loony leaders - they wouldn't stand a chance of defending their unconstitutional choices!

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2010 8:00:08 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 19, 2010 8:07:22 AM PDT
SPF says:
Actually, I am very familiar with Levin and his twisted logic. Levin is always talking in black and white....any kind of government regulation is "Statists" wanting to take away our freedom. What corporations do is good....government is bad (unless government is making war, snooping in our business, or torturing people).

I heard Levin the other night on his radio show, screaming about how we have to get rid of government regulation. Really? Even after the S&L ripoffs, Bernie Madoff, the mortgage banking mess, tens of thousands of workers dying every year because of their jobs, and the BP Oil spill, he STILL wants to let the aristocracy do as they want without regulation??

Levin is a Corporatist, a believer in corporate power, in line with 19th Century Justice Stephen Field and the Five on the Court who gave us the Citizens United decision that allows corporations to flood the campaigns with corporate cash even more than they do now. Whoever does the bidding of Exxon wins; anyone who dares to stand up for the little guy will fade into obscurity.

Incidentally, you think Levin would do so well debating the "looney left"...so why does he never allow anyone to debate him. I'm convinced his shows are rigged. There are very articulate callers who discuss Mark's views, but never any articulate people disagreeing with him in a fair discussion. If someone tries, Levin screams at them and hangs up.

Posted on Jun 1, 2010 4:00:14 PM PDT
It is so difficult to believe him a constitutional lawyer and a defender of the constitution. This book starts out about the how enlightened the founding fathers were when they wrote it and how important it is that it not be changed. Then you get to the end with A Conservative Manifesto and find nearly a quarter of his suggestions would be changes to the Constitution! How can he or the readers justify this? How can he or they believe this to be a good book and guide to liberty when the author supports changes that would disrupt the balance of government laid out in the constitution?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2010 5:07:35 PM PDT
SPF says:
It is so difficult to believe him a constitutional lawyer and a defender of the constitution.

He may be a lawyer, but he's no defender of the Constitution. Levin is a corporatist....anything the corporations want should be legal. Don't regulate them, don't get in their way. After all, what is good for Enron is good for America.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  4
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  Apr 22, 2010
Latest post:  Jun 1, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Liberty and Tyranny: A Conservative Manifesto
Liberty and Tyranny: A Conservative Manifesto by Mark R. Levin (Audio CD - March 24, 2009)
4.6 out of 5 stars   (3,043)