5.0 out of 5 stars It touched my soul!
So I just watched a 60 minute documentary which left me weeping (in that good way) as well as re-evaluating every aspect of the manner in which I spend the currency of my life. That currency being time, not money.

Published on March 17, 2011 by Alan Sitomer

3.0 out of 5 stars " but I was disappointed that there was very little content about how you ...
It certainly portrayed the need to have "the conversation," but I was disappointed that there was very little content about how you have it, especially with those who are resistant.
Published 3 months ago by Johanna Turner

5.0 out of 5 stars It touched my soul!, March 17, 2011
This review is from: Consider the Conversation: A Documentary on a Taboo Subject (Personal Use) (DVD)

I genuinely believe that every person over the age of 40 years old in America needs to see this piece. Why 40? Just my own instinct. Could you be 39 or 33 or 22? Yep.
Simply put, a HUGE THUMBS UP for CONSIDER THE CONVERSATION!

By now, if you hear that little voice inside your head right now saying, "Hmm, I wonder if I should check it out?" The answer is yes.

Be prepared to be terrified, illuminated, profoundly moved, confronted and warmly hugged all within an hour. Just knocked me off my feet!

The filmmaker is a teacher. A Teacher of the Year award winner in fact, class of 2007 from Wisconsin, and he's quite the remarkable guy. 6'5" former basketball player who now teaches 4th grade. Just seeing pics of him with the kids is enough to make you smile.

But he is beloved, he is phenomenally well-read and he's got a heart as big as any hunk of cheese in his state.

He also learned that he closest brother had terminal cancer the same day that HE met the President of the United States in the Oval Office of the White House.

Just remarkable. And that set him off on a journey exploring how we die (in lieu of the way modern medicine can keep us almost unnaturally alive in this day and age).

And how we die gets the ball rolling on where we'd like to die. And that gets the ball rolling on how we are truly one of the first generations to be so disconnected from death.

I mean we view death as a failure, as if it's a shortcoming of some sort instead of a natural part of life. And when you "consider the conversation" (great title, huh?), you can't help but reflect on how you are actually living.

What's important to you? Like truly important. Family. Work. Community. Spirituality. Meaning.

Probably, just hearing the subject matter makes you want to say, "Nah, thanks." But the piece is so tastefully done, so thoughtful in its manner and so insightful in its selection of people who appear throughout that I can promise it's gonna break through the ice of even the most emotionally frozen of us.

Trust me on this. How are you going to live? Like right now? Like going forward? What do you want to experience, who do you wish to be with, what do you hope to tackle and what is it time to let go of?

Amazing stuff is raised here and once your soul gets stirred like this, you WAKE!

I could not give it a higher endorsement.

5.0 out of 5 stars A definite "must-see", March 20, 2011
This is a definite must-see for people in healthcare who encounter decisions regarding treatment and death on a daily basis. More importantly, it is a must-see for ALL people in general. This movie opens the door for families and individuals to think about what they want out of their life and decisions that will be made as the end of life approaches. the film is presented in a way that combines personal stories with interviews and opinions of experts in the field of palliative and hospice care. It is beautifuly done and engages the audience from beginning to end. I saw the film at the premire and was blown away. It was both moving and informative. It challenged the "norms" we have regarding death both from a medical perspective and as a society in general. Buy this film. Watch it. Show it to your family, and continue the conversation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't Miss This!, March 27, 2011
This documentary is one that everyone in America should see. It opened my eyes about the need for more honest conversations about end of life care. I am often distracted during documentaries, but this movie held my attention from the moment it began until the last frame. It made me consider a topic I have been avoiding. We all owe it to our parents, and to our children, to have these important conversations.This video should be shown as part of high school and college curriculums to prepare our youth for the decisions they will eventually face.

5.0 out of 5 stars Consider the Conversation: A Documentary on a Taboo Subject, April 7, 2011
I appreciated how Consider the Conversation offered me the opportunity to contemplate the last phase of life, yet left me without answers.
I am an adult with an aging parent. Because of this movie, I have the courage to address this issue. In an odd way, the movie comforted me. It made me realize that with respect and integrity I will be able to handle what comes my way. I highly recommend this movie!

5.0 out of 5 stars Consider the Conversation: A Documentary on a Taboo Subject, April 18, 2011
Consider the Conversation: A Documentary on a Taboo Subject

Everyone over 18 should see this film--and then HAVE a conversation about the end of your life. The film clearly, objectively, and tenderly explores the contemporary end-of-life experience at which we must make decisions about artificially prolonging death. This film helps us prepare. Make it a family event.

5.0 out of 5 stars Important Conversation Starter, April 13, 2012
My experiences with hospice are through both my mother-in-law and my mother. My son, who works within the field, is an educator of the public on the subject of hospice. He finds that most people have preconceived notions of hospice and the services that are provided. While at a networking event, an employee of a hospice company told him about this video and highly recommended it. We completely agree with her recommendation and enthusiastically add our own.

The documentary was extremely informative and will provide the viewer with a good foundation of knowledge about hospice. One particular portion of the movie stood out as a physician detailed his decision-making process as to when to choose hospice for himself. His evaluation of his own life helped clarify our own thinking. Extremely well-written and produced, this video is so simple that, anyone would be able to benefit by watching it. This is a must see! Even better, see it with your family and do as the title suggests--consider the conversation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Changing, March 24, 2011
Watching this documentary made me laugh, cry and reflect on my own personal life stories and experiences. The producers do a fantastic job of making you feel like death is not about an end. I would HIGHLY recommend this movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars What this country needs!, April 18, 2011
Sandra M. Hebley (Dallas, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
As a long-time hospice worker (RN, CHPN, LMSW), I have believed in the importance of "the Conversation." I am so delighted that finally someone (both someones) has created a vehicle that will attract people and get them thinking about these critical issues. The previous reviewers have stated it so beautifully that there is not much to add, except to re-iterate that EVERYONE should see this film. I personally have purchased the film with educational permissions and plan to show it to anyone who will sit still long enough to get it started. Once they see how it starts, they will be hooked! Many thanks to both the producers for a product that has long been needed.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very thoughtful work, April 3, 2011
This documentary, Consider the Conversation, is essential to watch and re-watch. We live the heart of our lives every day, yet often the time that our vision becomes crystal clear, is during our last chapter. Consider the Conversation Documentary validates the importance of pondering all the options we have throughout our lives and to share our thoughts with those we love before we are surprised to find ourselves on our last chapter.

There are so many segments of it that I found personally valuable. The clip by the woman about HOPE was both brilliant and accurate in my experience. The feature of the young man describing how others guide him through "what comes next" in terms of life events, until...a time they no longer do.

For your library, I recommend this documentary without reservation. You will want to watch it more than once, because there are so many little gems sprinkled through this lovely portrayal of what can potentially be a sweet and precious time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, pertinent film, April 17, 2011
KATHY RYAN (WAUKESHA, WI United States) - See all my reviews
As a nurse as well as the daughter of an aging, yet still healthy, mother, this film is exactly what we need. She was the one who asked if I could get the film - proof that having the conversation is a priority for her. You'd think I was trained to know that, but apparently not - and I'm not alone in the health care profession unfortunately. The pearls of wisdom offered throughout the film, both from professionals and patients, hit home for me. It asks the question, "how can we best care for you?" which made me realize I need to ask the question more often in my work and, most importantly, I need to ask it of my mother. I owe that to her - we owe it to each other - as the most basic way of honoring, respecting and loving each other as we near the end of our lives. Beautiful film on a very relevant topic!