This is a great introduction to get started on the most popular conspiracy theories out there. I liked the fact that the author provided a two sided view of each theory, providing both ammunition to believers and non-believers alike.

Published on October 20, 2012 by Pierre Verwey

1.0 out of 5 stars BORING BOOK
Don't waste your money on this book. Very dull read!!! I had expected more info . Disappointing. Dull and BORING
Published 22 months ago by Lc

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating introduction to the most popular conspiracy theories, October 20, 2012

However the vast range of topics discussed is also its Achilles' heel. In covering so many different theories, Shircore does not get to look at any of them in great depth, at times leaving the reader with more questions than answers.

Overall a fun, entertaining read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cover-Ups, November 7, 2012
This review is from: Conspiracy!: 49 Reasons to Doubt, 50 Reasons to Believe (Paperback)
Nothing beats an alternate wxplanation to every possible action and reaction in each and every daily living decision that include the millions of them done worldwide each second of every day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Cross=Media Presentations of Baffling Events, October 29, 2012
Andy & Julie (HOUSTON, TX, United States) - See all my reviews
An excellent presentation.

Mr. Shircore has an uncanny way of sharing both sides of each event, often supplemented with additional research, while leaving the final conclusion to the reader. The book's many URL links provide online access to additional information to make this an excellent example of the power of cross-media to greatly enhance the reading experience.

The book leaves one with a better ability to analyze both sides of current events we read about in the paper. I have shared a number of copies with friends and relatives.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of the conspiracy crop..., May 30, 2012
This is it must be remembered a post-Wikileaks oevre and consequently based on a lot of quality research in the relevant sections of the book. I enjoyed the non-hysterical measure and the sense that we reading the work of a non-prejudiced analyst rather than a conspiracist. I felt better and better educated for having read it and will be recommending it to my friends.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Approach to Conspiracy Theories!, May 25, 2012
Ian Shircore lays out some of the world's best conspiracy theories in Conspiracy!: 49 Reasons to Doubt, 50 Reasons to Believe. I really enjoyed reading this book, and gaining some knowledge of the history of the world (since that is a subject that I regrettably did not pay enough attention to in high school or college!) and its leaders.

The strongest points of this book lies in the author's presentation of the stories, the facts, the theories based on those facts, and the reasons both to believe and to doubt the conspiracy theories. It was this two sided approach that I really enjoyed. I like that Shircore presents both sides (although in a few of the cases, you could tell that he obviously leaned one way or another, and in most cases I tended to agree towards his leanings!) Because of this approach, Shircore avoids sounding like either a fanatical nut who will throw any theory on the table because of skepticism, which happens all to often in the world of theorists of this nature. This approach allows the reader to form their own opinions.

Another thing I appreciated about the layout of the book, was that there was really no rhyme or reason to the order the stories were presented in. Because of the vast collection of theories presented (50, as you may have guessed from the title), they could have easily been categorized by era, or under headings like: "World Leaders," "Musicians," "Wars," etc. However, by avoiding this, Shircore also avoided a textbook-like layout that may have detracted from the overall enjoyment of the book. It was great that each topic was short, and didn't throw out too much information, so that the reader has the option to go explore more about the topics that were of interest (and Shircore promotes this by providing links to various websites for more information on the topics and historical references he makes).

The major error for me, however, which made me rate the book as a 4 star instead of 5, was the last theory of the book: Elvis. To me, this is the most boring and played out conspiracy theory out there. There were 49 other options to end the book with that would have made it go out with a bang, rather than a fizzle. I am sure not everyone will agree with me, but, as much as I praise the lack of order in the book, this is one of the places where order and choice of which theory to use mattered (just as the first theory in the book matters immensely). I was simply disappointed during the last 5 pages of the book, and that's not how I want to feel after reading any book, let alone when I enjoyed the rest of the book as much as I did.

Like I said though, many readers won't agree with me, and will love the Elvis theory as being the closing point of the book. For my personal preferences, however, this just didn't do it for me. Beyond this one point, as I said, I really enjoyed the book. It taught me a lot about history, conspiracy theories or not, and anything that can do that while keeping my attention is worth the read, in my opinion.

I would recommend this book to people who think that history can be boring (and need to find a way to disprove that notion to themselves!), to those who like a good conspiracy theory, and also like to form their own opinions about such theories, and to those who like quirky pop culture facts.

1.0 out of 5 stars BORING BOOK, March 26, 2013

Conspiracy!: 49 Reasons to Doubt, 50 Reasons to Believe
Conspiracy!: 49 Reasons to Doubt, 50 Reasons to Believe by Ian Elliott Shircore (Paperback - April 2, 2012)
$12.95 $10.41