5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing reading - on par with Consumers Report
Nowhere more than in the US is this kind of publication desperately needed - what with all the doublespeak, pseudo-science and borderline-illegal/unethical claims being made in advertising, advertorials, product placements etc.

Published on January 3, 2006 by Michael Lonergan

2.0 out of 5 stars Resent the CU hard sell
Published on July 23, 2011 by Doctor.Generosity

2.0 out of 5 stars Resent the CU hard sell, July 23, 2011
I am a longtime subscriber to Consumer Reports and I also subscribe to the website and also to the online consumer reports health. This adds up to quite a few $ per year and I feel I deserve all their content. Recently I have received a direct mail ad for OnHealth, which is a print product. The ad shouts the tabloid glaring headlines we associate with sleazy operations. It is also impossible to tell the relation to the online health site; is it the same content? And if not, why is significant health information being witheld from my $19/year online subscription?

CU used to be a quiet and conservative organization. A few years ago they took on some marketing advice and became much more aggressive about selling their content six ways from Sunday. I am a supporter of the mission of CU and understand they need to seek revenues. But I am dismayed by the loud, vulgar advertising and the attempts to sell overlapping content. They have become a little too much like all the quick-buck companies they criticize.

1.0 out of 5 stars Overpriced "Common" information, April 26, 2007
This review is from: Consumer Reports On Health (Magazine)
As a health professional in Nutrition, Regeistered Dietitian practicing in the Community Nutrition field, I thought this "magazine" would be full of up-to-date information. Rather I received an eight page "newsletter," written at a fourth grade reading level. Everything written in the articles was old news. It was way overpriced for a product the size of my weekly "Church Bulliten."

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing reading - on par with Consumers Report, January 3, 2006
This review is from: Consumer Reports On Health (Magazine)

For me, I almost feel like I'm working on even footing against the marketing of health-related products by subscribing to this report. Without it, I'm lost at sea.

3.0 out of 5 stars not necessary, October 17, 2011
This review is from: Consumer Reports On Health (Magazine)
I received these as a gift from my mom. I will say that I am heavy into alternative health.
A lot of the information in these reports goes along with mainstream medical information. If you already
receive or read about it online, then this type of reporting probably is not necessary.
The quality of the reports is about on par with local newsletters and magazines that I get for free
at the grocery store.
After having read some of the contents of the reports - I will say that they tend to disagree with
alternative medicine newsletters on certain issues and of course it appears that these newsletters are probably
either in the pockets of big pharma or are just repeating common medical knowledge - which tends to be in
the pockets of big pharma. So I'd say it is a hit and miss of good and possibly slanted information which is not necessarily good for you, at least in my opinion.
Although I guess if you hate reading at a computer and your grocery store doesn't carry these types of
magazines, and you are not into mainstream medical care, then maybe you might like these. I still think
there are better options out there. My mom apparently likes these.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Overview for Good Health, June 16, 2007
This review is from: Consumer Reports On Health (Magazine)
As someone who is not a registered dietician, but who values good health, I have found this magazine to provide great, up-to-date information. I have given it as a gift a number of times, because I have found it to add quality to my life, and hope that it will to others' as well!

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid Unbiased Information, Advice, and Reference Studies, April 26, 2009
Jeff Chambers (San Ramon, CA USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Consumer Reports On Health (Magazine)
I'm in my mid thirties and reading this magazine, I have to admit, makes me feel old. I'm not sure if it's because the content is targeted to older readers, or if it's presented in a dour manner. Consumer Reports knows how to publish unbiased facts, and this publication lives up to that reputation - but combining cold hard facts and personal health is, I don't know, worrisome. I can't say that I get excited about reading this magazine, but I'll continue to subscribe to it so that my wife and I, as well as our older parents can benefit from the many valuable articles and studies. The primary weakness of this magazine is the diminutive amount of content. The magazine is much shorter than other Consumer Reports publications, but priced similarly. It takes me less than 30 minutes to read it cover-to-cover each month.

1.0 out of 5 stars Total Waste of Money, November 4, 2013
This review is from: Consumer Reports On Health (Magazine)
They got to be kidding!! I thought I was getting a magazine ( like Consumer Reports), not a leaflet....I thought they would compare different brands of vitamins, which was the best & purest. No!! We already know to eat salmon,hello. Total waste of money!!

1.0 out of 5 stars LAME outdated, mainstream information, January 21, 2013
This magazine is a joke. The first three issues had nothing that could not be found in a twenty year old issue of Self magazine. It reads like a statin advertisement, spewing the same old bull about high cholesterol without mentioning any of the myriad negative side effects of statins (like killing you of liver disease before you are even old enough to have heart disease).

It contains very little research information, and nothing that is original or cutting edge in regards to prevention or nutrition. Complete waste of money!

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful advice without the mainstream media's sensationalization or oversimplification, March 1, 2013
M. Arya (California, USA) - See all my reviews
Unlike the information we get from most TV and newspaper articles, the health information here is much more useful and balanced. It's more objective because it's written by medical consultants and not influenced by advertisers. It's more comprehensive in that they always put the results of new studies in the context of prior research and tell you how to act based on all of the evidence together. It's more detailed too. They describe the number of people in studies and how they were conducted. They tell you which supplements are dangerous vs. safe vs. useless and for which individuals. Finally, the added detail is provided in a language everyone can understand.

4.0 out of 5 stars I enjoy it., January 14, 2013
This review is from: Consumer Reports On Health (Magazine)
This is one of several monthly magazines subscriptions I subscribe to. As with most, take some tips and leave some. Not all will apply but I find it interesting to read every month.

Consumer Reports On Health