5.0 out of 5 stars Simply sublime, December 28, 2006
This review is from: Contact Note (Audio CD)
I bought this album right after hearing two tracks from it on an Internet radio broadcast of ambient music. It's a beautiful mix of ambient, electronica, and pure piano pieces that blend together very nicely. The entire work is deeply contemplative, but also keeps moving; some of the tracks are particularly upbeat and have an infectious, thumping back beat to them.

I created a playlist out of this disc and went for a long bike ride in the woods and fell completely in love with it: It definitely takes you on a journey of introspection, but the songs will by no means put you to sleep.

Circle, the first track, starts off gently enough, and pulls you in to a quiet scene of reflection. Then, a beat comes in lightly from a distance, and pretty soon the music has you moving. The second track, Second Sense, glides in with a light, single female vocalization, followed by another back beat, neither of which hogs the stage in the song. A couple of the tracks, such the title track, are a tad melancholy, but they only start out that way and fit perfectly into the framework of the entire album as a whole. My favorite track, 100, is probably now one of my top 5 instrument/electronic pieces ever. It has a great rhythm and sunny groove. It's hard not to smile, bob your head, and tap your feet while listening to the song.

Throughout all the tracks is a subtle appearance of a piano playing simple melodies that are hypnotic and haunting, yet gorgeous.

I'd highly recommend this album to anyone who is looking for music with meaning but that isn't heavy-handed in the least. I have listened to it over and over in the weeks I've had it, and have not grown tired of one single song.

5.0 out of 5 stars This could not have happened, could it?, January 10, 2009
andy (northampton uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Contact Note (Audio CD)
Let me start with saying that I have been listening to lots of music - all sorts of stuff, you would be amazed:) and somehow never thought of the impact my records had had on my philosophy of life until I came across this tremendous album in 2006 (two years after it was realesed).
This opened my ears to the sounds that can only be described as heavenly beautiful!
Don't get me wrong there are some dark moments as well but they never dominate nor drag you down instead they keep you wanting for more...in one second you experience bass structures as deep as the abyss of the ocean that intertwine with the IDM beats being scattered all over the record, in another you feel as if you were touching clouds. I did not smoke anything if that's what you think:)
I still remember my first listen I was speechless 12 times.
The same strong sensation I had when I first heard Telefon Tel Aviv's Fahrenheit Fair Enough.
Listen to this and make your own story, put it in writing if you like but do not ignore this album! It's bloody wicked!It has transformed my musical taste, it will transform yours I am sure of it!

My only advice? Buy yourself a decent hi fi system, you will know what I meant by that once you have inserted an original cd into your cd player.

BTW, Jon Hopkins' new album Insides is due in March according to some internet sources.

ENJOY!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Contact Made, May 20, 2009
d. (Portland, OR USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Contact Note (Audio CD)
This is the best piece of sonic sculpturing I've heard since BT's "This Binary Universe," which, interestingly, came out after Contact Note, thereby tarnishing BT's effort since Contact Note is obviously an influence. Jon Hopkins made a lesser-known musical masterpiece that will not be appreciated for some time - if ever. An evolution in music, indeed; ahead of its time, no doubt.

Contact Note
Contact Note by Jon Hopkins (Audio CD - 2013)
Rate and Discover Movies