Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Andra Day Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage GNO Shop Now Deal of the Day

on August 21, 2012
Ok, started reading this and I am impressed by alot of the material.
One thing I can say thats not a positive or a negative but a statement is that, just like the ability to perform the skills listed in this book, the reading and studying of this book will take TIME. If you think your gonna read this as a one hour self help like so many other prepardness books and become and instant leader of sheeple that folks will make a movie about "one day" after you save them, then this aint for you. This stuff is real and it takes years to develop and there are only certain places you can get it. This stuff is only learned by real misions, real hunting, real group training and togetherness and dedication.
Many of the areas will take several readings to soak in the full content and will take time, patience, practice and casting aside the egos to get it right. It is one of the hardest things to do because of the widley varied dynamics of a true family unit. Compared to running a unit of fit, fire breathing go getters like I am used to and trying to transfer it to my family unit as well as my new extended family unit is an absolute nightmare to me. Its not that it(the tasking, the mission) cant be done, its that it cant be done in the same breakneck speed and orderly fashion. There are things to do/think about/practice now, in this book, that will assist in this and bring it home.
You do not need to have been an operator shooter to understand this book either, even us low life thought of logisticians understand it.
I will probably post more after finishing the book but it is good enough right now to rate it.
on December 24, 2012
Ive been buying a lot of books of late, trying to pepare for future possible hard times. (full blown $$ depression). A couple of them I had to stop reading. (scary as hell or aimed at some sort milita group.) This isnt one of them. Ive found that you have to pick through all "how to books" and take what you need and leave the rest.It all depends on your goal and situation. Military knowledge helps a great deal as to survival and self defense. My goal is to protect the life of my family from possible roving bands of area meth heads and gangs of government dependents when their checks stop comming. Having no military experience plus being old and tired, I need all the help I can get. I got a lot from this book.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 20, 2012
I have always been interested in tactics and strategy. I have always known that it would serve me in life. I played chess. I played paintball. I even like to fight. I didnt do these activities because I thought they were interesting. No, something was to be gleaned from my experience.

I have purchased many books and manuals on military tactics on how wars were won. I was always looking for knowledge that would resurface when needed. Im a "when does the other foot fall" type of guy. Affluence and security always give way to poverty and danger. I have studied.

There are many books to study. So many start out great and then peter out. So many have titles full of bravado that leave me feeling weaker for having read them. So many books that miss the "tone and tenor" of my aims, that I almost gave up.

But I always keep my eye out for the concise manual. A book that gets the "tone and tenor" of a situation or life. Something that instructs without pomposity and unneeded rigor. I dont need an author to convince me through stories that he knows what hes talking about. I want the dope.

This book delivers. Straightforward and interesting. It lays out much of what you need to know to be a force of will in a non linear battlefield.

I feel like I should write more but feel like I would be creating an impression that the book is an entire compendium of what you need to know. It isnt, but its close, and the best I have read to date.
on July 4, 2013
This book has loads of great information, but what sets it apart from so many other prepper/survivalist books about firearms, self-defense, is the infusion of reality. Yes, Max includes all the "fun" stuff like squad tactics and shows you how far you can take things to the extreme, but he also includes a healthy dose of reality and warns the readers to refrain from the belief that any emergency situation will mean that law enforcement is entirely gone and you are free to free to do as you please with your firearms and defensive measures. There are many other pieces of wisdom along these lines that will keep you from falling into the trap of thinking that post-collapse survival will be like a shoot-em-up video game.

After reading another of Mr. Velocity's other books and dealing with an overwhelming amount of military jargon and acronyms, I was pleasantly surprised by this book. Yes, there is still quite a bit, but most of it is on point and relevant.

As other reviewers have noted, this book could definitely use an editor. The second sentence I read was missing 2 commas in a list: "The purpose of this manual is to provide information to enhance security, tactics and survival skills of law-abiding citizens who are faced with civil disorder, lawlessness, violence and physical threat in a post-collapse environment." That being said, unless you are grammar nazi, it doesn't make the book unreadable or confusing.

This book is highly recommended for:
- Preppers and survivalists who are looking for an interesting viewpoint on defensive tactics in a post-emergency situation
- Anyone who wants to find out more about defensive tactics and tools in general

If you enjoy reading about personal security and tactics, I also recommend Tactical Bible Stories: Personal Security Tips from the Bible for advice specifically for keeping you and your family safe in dangerous times.

If you enjoy reading about survival and prepping, I also recommend Ultralight Survival: Make a Small and Light Bug Out Bag That Could Save Your Life for specific advice on creating the lightest and most efficient bug-out-bag possible.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 27, 2013
The author, 'Max Velocity', manages to cram as much information as possible in this book! Superb!
-At first it seems as though the book is not organized. It is concept, then some stories/application, then specifics, then more application (and then onto the next subject). After the first few chapters you realize that it is organized pretty well
- I dont really like kindle version table graphics. Especially not on an iphone. They pretty much all suck. If the graphic or table isnt small enough to fit onto a iphone screen, dont include it in the kindle version book. (My only complaint)

-This book was focused more for preppers, while the other book about high velocity or whatever is for small unit team tactics... high risk civilian contractors, or other folks. Contact has plenty of the team tactics to satisfy any civilian (or militia, for that matter)

- This book has a prominent place in my survival library due to the fact that it incorporates team level tactics and skill. It's not the lone ranger protecting his family... Nor is it advocating chain link fence around your house to block RPGs... (shout out to JWR). If you have a group of like minded individuals - strong friends/survival group - then use this book to work together as a team.

- I also have read the book 'Patriot Dawn: The Resistance Rises' by Max Velocity. It was an excellent novel that uses the tactics and ideas put forth in 'Contact'. I would highly recommend reading this book first to get some of the vocabulary (jargon) and graphical representations of teams in your head. Then read 'Patriot Dawn' to really enjoy the story and learn some plausible applications.

Overall this book is a solid, informative, and enjoyable book that covers a lot of ground. It isnt a food storage manual, it doesnt teach you how to shoot, but it might save your life. It gave me a lot to think about and encouraged me to get more advanced training (through Tactical Response, Inc- the author doesnt endorse them in the book but I certainly do)

My Survival library suggestions: Read Joe Nobody's books first: (1)Holding your ground. (2)Teotwawki tuxedo. (3) without rule of law (4) 'Holding' Novel series (5) Apocalyspe drift (6) This book ('CONTACT') (7) Patriot Dawn: The resistance Rises (7) One Second After (8) Lights out (9) Get training from Tactical Response- start with James Yeager's youtube videos about mindset (10) Southernprepper1's and Engineer775 youtube channel and other Homesteading resources about farming, food preservation, water, electricity etc.

Result: Change your mindset about life/survival. Take responsibility for your safety and for the safety of your family. Do not be a leech on society. Prepare yourself, your family, your property for potentially hazardous disasters (man-made and natural). Get a conceal carry gun (glock 19), and carry a good knife and flashlight with you at all times. Sign up for US Law Shield if you live in Texas or Florida. Eat something similar to a paleo diet to lose all your fat and then attend a crossfit class to get into excellent shape. Attend weekly Krav Maga self defense lessons to learn hand to hand combat. Finally, move away from big cities into a rural town. Spend less money, and therefore allow yourself to make less money. Safeguard your internet privacy. Grow a garden, practice your preps. Be able to hike 50 miles with your BOB in 3 days without resupply. Start this process now.
on December 8, 2012
This book is an excellent summary for non military types that explains military tactics and considerations that one needs to apply to the terrain that you are "stuck" with. As an Army Ranger and Paratrooper with Vietnam combat time, I would recommend this book for all who are wanting to learn tactical and defensive techniques from a simple to understand book.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 25, 2012
As a former US Army Ranger and Iraqi contractor, I like to think I know something about small-unit tactics, survival, and motorcade driving, just a few of the topics covered in Max Velocity's Contact! I found this book to be an excellent read. It contains an amazing amount of information on the skills, tactics, and techniques you will need to survive a major collapse of society. Make sure that this book is a part of your survival library.
on January 30, 2013
Like the author I too am former Brit Mil (Scalley-Back P/Coy and All Arms Cdo) and now a US citizen, and like the author have spent time in the sandbox (2004-2005 and 2008-2009) as a Tactical Paramedic on a PSD team driving Routes Tampa, Irish, Mobile, Michigan.
I purchased the book as a refresher both for fading mil skills and civvy fubar knowledge. The book is definitely worth the price, written for the average joe schmo with little or no knowledge and modicum of sense. So a bit of advice to the reader, don't try and learn it all at once, break it into training blocks, learn the basics first and learn them well, then add to those skills by learning the more advanced portions of the book and don't forget, practice practice practice.
Definitely a must have when the SHTF book, but don't wait to everything goes FUBAR, start asap...
Kudo's to the author, and a question for him..
Which Para Regt? and when, my uncle was a RSM in 1 Para circa 'Bloody Sunday', I was in 74-87
Doc Out:
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 9, 2013
If you are looking for a book on squad vs. squad-based combat tactics utilizing modern military equipment, up to and including Humvees and grenade launchers, look no further. Whether you would be in a post-collapse scenario with such advanced equipment and infrastructure is unlikely, but your mileage may vary.

My main criticism with this book may seem nitpicky to some; but bear in mind, a book's purpose is to communicate information. In that sense, this book struggles.

Jargon - Mr. Velocity tends to use the most military-sounding phrase he can come up with. "Victim Operated Improvised Explosive Device (VOIED)" instead of "suicide bomb" and "kinetic response" instead of "shoot", for example. No, I am NOT making this up! Yes, I know he is ex-military, and in order to get that point across to us, he has to stay in character. But if you are writing a book, you need to consider your audience, and he explicitly states the book is not for "hostile environment security operators". So keep it in English, please!

Excessive verbosity - You can count on a paragraph when a sentence would do just fine.

Preaching to the choir - Yes, we get it, Democrats are evil and liberals are destroying the country!

MUAFNGR - Making up acronyms for no good reason. Coining an acronym, using it once in the same paragraph, then never seeing it again makes no sense. MUAFNGR is really annoying, particularly if you DO run across an acronym several pages later and struggle to recall what it means.

Obvious spelling errors - The one that really got me was "raised" instead of "razed", as in "completely destroyed".

Weird layout - In order to keep the page count down to 300, Max gave the book 1 cm outer margins.

That said, this book is still a keeper, as it allows me to indulge in my feverish Mad Max fantasies of a world filled with plentiful ammunition, gasoline, and violence.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 5, 2012
Very informative book. It starts out with tactics for scouting and evasion if seen by enemy forces, which is a good chapter. It then goes into proper looting of possible locations, stressing that you need to conceal your efforts from prying eyes. The next 80% of the book is about training groups for battle, tactics, command structure, decision making, transport, drills, etc. It is a primer on how to assemble your forces (family/friends) into a structured military chain of command. If you want basic scrounging for survival, then pass on by, nothing to see here. However, face it, if you survive more than a few weeks, you will be attacked for your food, weapons, women, supplies, etc. There is no question that when rule of law breaks down long enough where people realize that there will not be any repercussions for their actions, they will resupply by looting at first, then they will come after individuals and smaller groups. It's human nature. This book will provide some tactical guidelines in how to fight to survive and how to keep your force from infighting. This book requires a high level of commitment if you want to get anything out of it.