2,617 Reviews
 (1,588)

1,302 of 1,323 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Annoy your neighbors dogs and cats.
Customer Video Review     Length:: 0:21 Mins
Published on August 12, 2010 by Honest Reviewer

3.0 out of 5 stars Works well, but took a lot of effort to set up
Published on June 12, 2009 by G. J. Nelson

1,302 of 1,323 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Annoy your neighbors dogs and cats., August 12, 2010
This review is from: Contech CRO101 Scarecrow Motion Activated Sprinkler (Lawn & Patio)
Length:: 0:21 Mins

My stupid neighbors dont obey the leash laws, and let their pets roam free. I was constantly having to clean cat and dog mess from my yard. It was so bad that when I would mow my lawn the tires of the lawnmower would be totally covered in brown matter, if you know what I mean. So I figured I would give the scarecrow a try. Works great, I have on video two dogs going into my yard to do their business, then the scarecrow blasts them point blank in the face with water. It was Hilarious, one of the dogs took off, but the other one panicked and ran around the circles not knowing how to get out of my yard through the fence, even though my gate was wide open. The dogs haven't been in my yard since. I seen cats get blasted with water too. My neighbors are mad though, because their dogs are now messing in their own yard, and everytime they walk in their yard they step in it, very funny. One thing that needs to be improved though is battery life, 9 volt batteries have very little capacity and go dead in less than a month if the unit goes off alot. It would be great if the unit could run on 4 D cells, then the scarecrow could run more than a year on one set of batteries. I bought lithium rechargeables in order to save money, plus they last longer than alkaline 9 volt batteries. Overall great product and alot of fun to watch it work.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good, if expensive solution, June 6, 2006
Before I bought my house I thought cats went in a litterbox. Well some do, but my yard is apparently more appealing to Leo, my neighbor's cat, who is old and incontinent.

If you are reading this you know that none of the sprays, repellants, etc do anything at all and should be removed from the market. But dog-gonnit, the Scarecrow works.

There are a few minor things you should know, however. First, if you care about the Scarecrow leaking, be sure to assemble the unit with Teflon tape. Second, the Scarecrow is entirely plastic, right down to the spike that you drive into the ground. Not a big deal perhaps, but if your ground is hard you won't be hammering the Scarecrow into the dirt. Finally, if your yard is good sized you'll probably need two so crap avoidance has its price.

--And don't forget to run your hose in such a way that you can turn the water off before you approach the Scarecrow, because it will spray anything in its path; birds, the mailman, anything. This raises some interesting possibilities if you are plagued by door to door salesmen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome product **Read this if your problem is Deer!!!!**, May 15, 2008
First off I would tell anyone that this product truly works. If you have any hesitation, my review along with all the others should be proof enough.

I purchased the Scarecrow Sprinkler last year after coming back from vacation to find a brand new shade garden I had planted completely decimated by local deer. We have a family of about 8 deer that I try to keep away, but my neighbors have other agendas. They "feed" the deer with corn which attracts them and frustrates me more and more [if Contech invents a neighbor deterrent, please let me know ;) ]

After mourning the $500+ I lost in plants and shrubs, I decided to take matters into my own hands. I started with "deer-b-gone" or some sort of "organic" deer repellant. It washes away, isn't cheap, smells bad and flat out doesn't work.

I then came across the Scarecrow and decided to give it the old "college try". Well folks, IT WORKS. No more deer, but uh-oh a flaw. Just like others, you have to remember that the Scarecrow is there or "BAM" YOU WILL GET HIT WITH A BLAST OF WATER. It has gotten me, my kids, my wife, a landscaper, our exterminator and one of our neighbors.

LADIES and GENTS..I have the solution to this problem!!!!!
What I realized is that the deer only do their dirty work from dusk to dawn. I thought what if I can get my sprinkler to only work during those hours and shut off during the day. Then I researched to see if there was a water timer that allowed for extended watering times. Say hello to this Orbit timer from Amazon.com Orbit Lawn & Garden Hose Digital Watering Timer And Valve #62001to use in conjunction with the sprinkler. It has completely flexible functions that allow the water to only turn on from say 8 pm to 8 am. It only turns on the water flow to the sprinkler. It will only use the water if the sprinkler motion sensor is set off so no wasted water. At 8 am, the timer turns off the water flow and NO ACCIDENTAL MIDDAY SHOWERS!! Then it kicks back on at 8 pm for another night of protection. These are the times I used but I may need to adjust a bit since I do sometimes make early or late strolls through my garden. You can set to whatever times you need to have it on and off based on your own situation.

So there you have it. Use this product in conjunction with a flexible timer and you get the benefit of excellent deer/pest protection while avoiding many of the minor flaws mentioned in other reviews.

4.0 out of 5 stars GREAT - BUT PLEASE READ FEEDBACK ADVICE, July 26, 2011
I gave this 4 stars instead of 5 only because if a person doesn't know about how to circumvent its problems, they wont be happy.

We are very pleased with the results we got from using the Scarecrow for our dog problem. It is extremely important that people who buy it read the feedback. It is cheaply made; so if you don't follow the advice in the feedback, you will most likely have a negative experience with it.

I am happy I read every single feedback before purchasing it. I listed below the alterations we made, some of which we saw on the feedback and some being our own ideas. Therefore, my feedback is lengthy, but will help your greatly.

First I'm listing the alterations that EVERYONE must do when you buy the Scarecrow. Later I tell you optional alterations for making it work better for your particular circumstance:

Go to the store and buy:

1. Extra rubber hose-end washers (enough to replace their existing plastic washers and for additional doubling up on washers--more explanation below).
2. Teflon tape.
3. A metal stake. You can use a piece of galvanized pipe, a short length of pre-cut rebar, or a concrete-form stake. We used the concrete-form stake that someone left behind.
4. A high-quality hose reinforced inside. Standard hoses will swell up and eventually split or pop off the hose fitting. We have had no problem with the reinforced hose. Since they seem to only come in long lengths, we just bought hose ends and made one for our Scarecrow and one for the yard.

Instructions for the above items BEFORE putting the Scarecrow into the ground:

Pull out the cheap plastic gaskets inside the fittings and replace each one with TWO better quality gaskets from the store. The reason for this is that they built the threaded fittings too long so that when you screw on the hose and sprinkler, they don't quite reach the gasket. Two of them will take up the gap.

Next, wrap Teflon tape around each of the protruding threaded fittings. If you've never used Teflon tape, here is some help. Gently pull out a good length of it, maybe a foot long. Cut it with scissors rather than trying to break it off. Breaking it off makes it stick together instead of lying flat, making it harder to work. Then keeping it flat, carefully wrap it around the fitting over threads in a clockwise direction (or the same direction you will be twisting on the hose end), wrap several layers around and around. If you only put on 2-3 layers, it will not be enough.

Next, pound your metal stake into the ground. The reasons you are using this instead of just putting the plastic stake into the ground are these. First, if you have hard ground, you will mostly likely damage the plastic stake or the Scarecrow motion detector trying to force it into the ground. (You are not suppose to push down on the motion detector.) Second, if you have soft ground, then each time the water is activated, it will give a little push against your unit and eventually loosen it in the ground. Then the Scarecrow will not stay put.

(There is an optional plastic pipe included in the box. We replaced the plastic stake that goes underneath the Scarecrow with the plastic pipe because of the leaking of the extra hose fitting. The extra hose fitting is so you can run another hose to somewhere else that isn't controlled by the Scarecrow. The cap provided is difficult to get to stop leaking. So we screwed the optional pipe underneath the Scarecrow and put the hose on the bottom of the pipe. The drawback is that when you clamp it onto the metal stake I recommend for pounding into the ground, you have to be careful not to overtighten it around this plastic pipe due to possible cracking. If we have to move the Scarecrow or adjust it, we plan to get galvanized fittings to replace the plastic pipe.)

Now you are ready to attach the Scarecrow. First slide on two metal hose clamps over your stake. Now hold the Scarecrow so the stake is lined up against the metal stake and the unit rests on top. Tighten the hose clamps so they are snug. Now adjust the aim and tighten the hose clamps so it won't move.

Now we are ready for the optional alterations we made. If you plan to use it to make a large sweep across your lawn, you may not need to do any of the following. Our situation was twofold:

First, we needed the Scarecrow to work at a close range. Like all rain-bird-style sprinklers, they are angled to shoot upwards about 45 degrees in order to reach a distance. The problem with this is that if the animal crosses in front of it within about 10 feet, it won't hit it. I saw this complaint in some of the other feedback. To solve this, my husband bought a 45 degree angle galvanized pipe fitting (1/2"). He took off the sprinkler and put on the pipe (again, using Teflon tape). He then put the sprinkler on the end of that. As he screwed the pipe on, he kind of angled it to the side a bit so it would change the angle of the sprinkler. It looks kind of strange since the end result is that the sprinkler kind sits off to the side. This worked great. The sprinkler now squirted low so it covered the area where the dog tended to go onto our lawn to do his business.

The above solution to the Scarecrow not working at close distance now prevents it from spraying more than about 15' or so. We've been waiting to see if the dog figures out that he just has to walk down further and then can do his pooping. So far he hasn't. However, if he does, we plan to add a T pipe on top so that our low-aiming sprinkler can come out one part and we will add a short length of reinforced hose to the other part of the T and put a normal metal sprinkler into the ground. This way, we will have two sprinklers running from the top of the Scarecrow, one for close range and one arched for distance and both coming on at the same time by one Scarecrow.

Our Next Problem Solved of needing to narrow the field of water shooting:

Our situation is that we have a 4' wide strip of lawn running along the side of our house. Our neighborhood is very old, so the houses can be close to a property line. In our case, the lawn had our house on one side and the neighbor's driveway at the edge of the lawn. Even though the neighbors deserve to get sprayed when they drive up and down the driveway (it's their dog that poops on our lawn every single day, twice a day), we don't want to waste water and we don't want to create a war since this is our only problem with them. Anyway, we replaced the plastic sprinkler with a standard metal rainbird sprinkler, because the metal sprinklers have metal wire tabs that you can move them to limit the width of the sprinkler. Since our lawn strip is so narrow, we didn't want the sprinkler to move side to side at all, so my husband moved the tabs together and tie-wrapped them so the sprinkler would be stationary. He also cut the spring on top of the metal sprinkler and tie-wrapped the flap back so the water would just shoot out solid instead of pulsating.

Solution to our last problem of two-wide of a motion detection:

Since our lawn strip is narrow, we didn't want the neighbors setting off the motion detector every time they drive and down their driveway. It will waste water and also wear down the battery. I cut out two squares of plastic out of a black garbage bag and my husband put one on each side of the detector window and taped them with black electrical tape leaving the center prism exposed so it has a more pin-pointed kill zone. I don't know how long the tape will last, but it has done well for a month now even with our summer thunderstorms. Using this method, he narrowed the field of "vision" down to about a half-inch in the middle. It works very well.

We set the sensitivity to 7-1/2 which is perfect. When I want to mow the lawn strip, I just place a thick or dark hand-towel over the lense to prevent detection. That way I don't have to keep turning on or off anything.

So that is end of our alterations. Bottom line is that the dog poops on our lawn no more and so I don't hate the neighbors every time we have to pick up the poop every single day.

UPDATE: We put the Scarecrow away near end of November so it won't break when we have freezing weather. I was afraid that the dog would start pooping there again. However, we were pleased that he developed the habit to go in his own backyard. The whole spring through fall was very successful eliminating this problem. Love the scarecrow.

Just a side note. Since they let their dog loose all the time, our neighbors on the other side of them had nothing but trouble with the dog chewing up everything in their yard and chewed up 4 pairs of their shoes on their own front porch plus hauled off their brand new dog bed! I felt so sorry for them having to deal with this, especially since they have very little income. Finally, another neighbor told the owner that he better tie up the dog; because if he catches him in his yard again bothering his chihuahua, he would shoot him. The problem dog is part pit bull, so he probably meant it. Well, that did it, so none of us have problems with him anymore except that he barks more being tied up. I feel sorry for dogs who have idiot owners. It isn't the dog's fault. They are just doing what dogs when inconsiderate people don't bother training them.

Hope all this helped you.

4.0 out of 5 stars It Works, August 15, 2004
Franz Metcalf (Los Angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews
A couple thoughts on this very useful product which I feel slightly guilty about downgrading to four stars:

First, the thing works perfectly, at least for me. Before the Scarecrow, my neighbor's (big) dog left a (big) present on my lawn, every night. Since the Scarecow, never, not once.

Well, okay, once, but that leads to comment two:

The trouble is that the Scarecrow cannot distinguish between me, enjoying my garden on a fine Summer's day, and the dog, doing his thing in the middle of the night. This means that I need to be very careful to set up access to the Scarecrow from behind, so I can turn it off and not get soaked every time I walk across the lawn. Once, I forgot to turn it back on, and, sure enough, that night the dog had done its thing.

Of course this is both a critique and a compliment: the Scarecrow really works. It's just not entirely convenient. Still, I wouldn't be without it and Amazon has it for a great price and free shipping. Can't beat that.

3.0 out of 5 stars Works well, but took a lot of effort to set up, June 12, 2009
I bought this device to keep a Blue Heron from eating the fish out of my Koi pond. When it arrived I was struck by light-weight plastic used in the construction of the device. When I set it up, I quickly found that the plastic hose and sprinkler head connections leaked. I used some Teflon tape on the threads and reduced the water pressure, which seemed to solve the problem.

The next issue I ran into was that the sprinkler head would not hold its position. The light plastic ranging clips just spun around the base of the sprinkler and sprayed water everywhere but where I wanted. I replaced the sprinkler head with a metal one from the hardware store, which solved that problem.

The next problem was that the short plastic stake would not hold the device in place for very long before it fell over. I solved this problem with a section of half-inch PVC pipe hammered deeply into the ground and then forcing the stake into the PVC pipe.

After getting it all set up so that it would stay in place and spray water where I needed, I had to play with the sensitivity over the next few days to keep it from going off when the grass plants around the pond moved with the wind.

It now seems to work fine, but I had to invest a good deal of time and the cost of a new sprinkler head to get it to work as advertised. I would recommend this unit, with comments above, for use in controlling bird or animal problems primarily because I have not been able to find other products of this nature.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Product That Really Works!, June 21, 2003
JJOJ (Oshkosh, Wisconsin United States) - See all my reviews
My husband and I were very disappointed to see that neighborhood rabbits had eaten our bean and pea plants to the stem after only two days of being in the ground. We wanted to keep the rabbits out of the garden area without chemicals, unsightly chicken wire, or traps. We purchased the scarecrow and absolutely love it! After replanting, our bean and pea plants are healthy and growing. The scarecrow seems to be doing its job of letting the rabbits know they are not welcome in the garden area. I have told friends and family about our happy results. I would recommend this item to anyone looking for a solution to unwanted intruders.

5.0 out of 5 stars It Actually Works!, June 28, 2005
We bought the Scarecrow because of the problems we had with our neighbors cats. The cats would come into our yard and use it as their litterbox. We live in Arizona and have a gravel backyard, so it could easily be mistaken for a litterbox by a cat.

We had tried many remedies prior to purchasing this device. The internet was a wealth of knowledge on what to do for cat problems. Most of them had some degree of effectivness but none of the solutions were long lasting. The pepper would blow away in the wind, the tabasco would wash off in the rain.

We ordered the Scarecrow from the Amazon approved dealer because we have had very positive results when ordering from Amazon and their affiliated partners. The cost was a bit higher but the piece of mind was worth it.

When the device arrived we immediately set it up in the backyard. Remember that you need one 9 volt battery for the sensor to work. The device works by reading a range of almost 180 degrees with a sensitivity knob so it won't fire and shoot a stream of water if a leaf blows by. The sprinkler head is adjustable both to horizontal range as well as vertical range. I set the device to fire just at the about the top level of our brick fence so as not to soak my neighbors yard. She was told about the sprinkler also so if her cats came home wet, she would know why.

The Scarecrow did a great job of keeping the cats out of our yard. I was very impressed with it. I never heard it fire but left the hose attached and the device on all the time for the first week. The connections were tight and did not leak. The spike on the bottom of the device was strong enough and sturdy enough to survive being pounded into the tough Arizona ground. I didn't put the funky stickers on though. I figured if it was that easy to scare the cats, I could just put a drawing outside; besides the strong Arizona sun would just bake them off.

In very short order the problems we had in that section of our yard were gone. The problem though, is cats are not as stupid as one would hope. The cats just cut through the front yard and hopped the fence on the other side of the yard and did their business there which would necessitate the purchase of a second Scarecrow. We moved away from Arizona prior to purchasing a second Scarecrow but I am sure that it would have proven as successful as the first.

Our water bill remained the same since the Scarecrow only fires for short bursts and the cats won't stay in range that long.

Overall, very worth the cost. This is one device that works as well, if not better, than it is supposed to. I would not hesitate to recommend this device to anyone with animal or pest problems. It is safe, non-toxic and user friendly. Your neighbors who own the pests should not be upset with wet animals and it is better than neighborly discord.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, March 30, 2008
Length:: 0:09 Mins

I was having problems with the cats getting in my vegetable garden. I purchased and installed this product and have not had any problems since. This sprinkler does what it says and I would highly recommend it. On the videos I am throwing a tennis ball in the garden and my dog is chasing it. You can see some videos of the sprinkler in action here:

[...]

[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars This one works!, September 10, 2004
Shoaler (Frederick, MD) - See all my reviews
We have tried all sorts of things to keep deer from eating our

tomatoes and hosta (and almost everything else) and nothing works

short of covering everything with "deer netting." And the deer

around here are so brave (stupid) that nothing short of running

after them would scare them away.

This gadget certainly scares deer. We saw one older fawn who had

wandered into our back yard in search of breakfast. When he

triggered the device, not only did it bombard him with jets of

water, but the clicking of the sprayer added a sense of emergency

to it. The deer took off like a shot until it had found the

cover of some nearby woods.

Drawbacks: You can only cover a fairly small area, but you can

put it across the deer's usual paths. Moving it around probably

helps, too. And you have to keep it out of the way of the UPS

guy or neighborhood children (unless that's your intent).