4.0 out of 5 stars Floor color?
Published on November 10, 2004 by Richard

1.0 out of 5 stars Showed up broken
Published on June 20, 2005 by Jon A. Mccarty

4.0 out of 5 stars Floor color?, November 10, 2004
Richard (Texas - USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Contek Retro Bathroom Scale (Kitchen)
The scale is better looking than the picture. I wanted a simple scale that might last a long time - with no bells and whistles to malfunction. And this scale fits the bill. However, if you're going to place this scale on a dark colored floor - you will probably have trouble reading the numbers. (They are black and my floor is brown.) It would be better if the numbers could be changed from black to white if needed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple Is Best, October 28, 2004
This review is from: Contek Retro Bathroom Scale (Kitchen)
I wanted a nice scale for the bathroom but every scale out there looks like it was designed for the advanced robotics convention.

Except this one. It's accurate and its clean lines don't clash with anything in the bathroom and it looks good with everything. Even if you redecorate.

4.0 out of 5 stars for the looks, September 9, 2005
This review is from: Contek Retro Bathroom Scale (Kitchen)
a nice scale design, certainly a step up from the bland non-descript norm. Being a manual scale the readout invariably isn't as 'steady', but that's ok. As mentioned by others, the contrast of the readout is perhaps not optimal, making it hard to read the numbers depending on lighting conditions and floor color. Oveall quite satisfied.

1.0 out of 5 stars Showed up broken, June 20, 2005
This review is from: Contek Retro Bathroom Scale (Kitchen)
Mine showed up with a broken mechanical piece that probably holds the whole spring system together. I wrote to them but expect it is more expesive then the unit is worth to ship it back for repair or replacement. It looks ok if it would work, but is completely useless to me. They have written me with instructions to repair it myself and I will try and let you know if it works when I have the time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Came broken, wrote a review, POW: new replacement sent!, January 13, 2006
This review is from: Contek Retro Bathroom Scale (Kitchen)
I was a bit skeptical that a $10 scale would work properly when I bought this cool-looking one off of Amazon. I was right; the one that came would keep getting stuck around 100 lbs, mostly when I stepped on with my left foot first. For the 20 times I would step on the scale, it would work about 30% of the time. Anyway, I wrote a review on Amazon, and within a week, a Contek rep contacted me and asked me about the problem. I just received my replacement scale yesterday, and when I used it this morning, it worked perfectly. I haven't stepped on it 20 times to check for consistency, but the 3 times I have stepped on with my left foot first, it worked/didn't get stuck.

I'm very happy with Conek's customer service and the design of the scale. Only time will tell if the scale will remain accurate & consistent (as my other <$20 scales break after a year or two of use).

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely clean lines and appears very sturdy....., October 29, 2005
This review is from: Contek Retro Bathroom Scale (Kitchen)
Not your typical 'Chinese Cheapo'. This scale is heavy and is easy to adjust. Beacuse of the quirky shipping rate (a charge per shipment and per pound), I purchased two. Do keep the packing slip. It contains the (US) address and phone number for Concord Technologies.

This beauty comes with a 1-year limited warranty, but, unless it is broken when received, the shear weight (about 10 lbs.) and the low price (Mine totaled about $17.50 each including shipping.) would argue against any warranty work.

Because the dial is clear with black numerals, I would agree with the reviewer who stated his dark bathroom floors made the weight hard to read. However, this will be easily corrected by placing the scale on a solid, vinyl placemat in a lighter color that complements your floor color.

3.0 out of 5 stars High style, low accuracy., January 19, 2006
This review is from: Contek Retro Bathroom Scale (Kitchen)
Pros: Classic analog/mechanical design with a nice modern glass top. Looks better than most scales costing much more. Light weight. Low price. Company seems reasonably responsive to issues.

Cons: You get what you pay for. Not as sturdy as you would imagine, looking at the pictures. Very inaccurate at higher weights (reads 10-15lb over actual weight). Must be placed on a solid floor (carpet makes it even more inaccurate). Sensitive to precise placement/weight distribution on glass surface. Company has some bugs to work out in handling orders through Amazon and shipping problems (took 2 months to come in after order placed).

Overall: Good looking scale for the money at around $20, but don't expect a lot of accuracy, especially if you're over 200lb.

1.0 out of 5 stars Rather Useless Scale, February 10, 2007
This review is from: Contek Retro Bathroom Scale (Kitchen)
I purchased this in a moment of hopefulness--it seemed ideal. The design looked unobtrusive (glass) and a little interesting. The reality is, it is 5-10 pounds off, hard to read, easy to step on and bump into (glass), and is now taking up space in the closet and should be in the garbage!

Contek Retro Bathroom Scale