5.0 out of 5 stars Insanely Great Look at Creating Content
I should preface this review by saying I have been podcasting and creating content for the web for over five years now, and that I regularly help clients do the same. This said, I was expecting Content Rules to be a good book on the subject, but perhaps one of those that did not speak to me, because of my experience. I was wrong- Content Rules speaks to everyone- even...
Published on November 29, 2010 by Whitney S. Hoffman

3.0 out of 5 stars Effective Content Marketing: Easier Said Than Done
The forward of this book states that "Marketing is about creating great content" - but that the art and science of producing that superior material has been a mystery to many. David Meerman Scott, the author of the book's forward section, suggests that the answer to the question "what exactly, should I do?" is to tell stories. Granted, that's one important aspect of a...
Published on March 25, 2011 by David H. Deans

‹ Previous | 1 2 313 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointing Audio book (and print): vague info, February 1, 2012
This review is from: Content Rules: How to Create Killer Blogs, Podcasts, Videos, Ebooks, Webinars (and More) That Engage Customers and Ignite Your Business (New Rules Social Media Series) (Hardcover)
If you are going to believe a review on this book- let it be mine. You are only making the authors richer and wasting your time.
I'm very resonable person and read/listen to many book on this topic, but, authors, COME ON now. I listend and took notes of your audio book, reviewed the notes, and realized I learned nothing. Even if someone new to social media bought you stuff, they would come away with no useful info. Just like telling me about your vaction, but not how to get there and 'how to' do things (just 'get on a plane, eat, sleep, drink, come home).
Can I get my money back???
Oh, wait, it gets worse. The guy reads, and sounds friendly, but the girl reads like a reluctant 6th grader being forced to stand up and read to the class. Ouch. 95% of the books here on blogs, ebooks, etc are way, way better (ie Seth Godin). I went to both authors Facebook and watched some of their videos elsewhere. Result? They are glad-happy, backslapping each other on making money on a book that is thin on details, no 'how to' specifics, and sometimes a little to full of themselves. JUST like telling your friend "Want to get rich? Well, make more money." Really now? I'm unhappy with this book because the cover and marketing we appealing, I took a chance, and found I would be embarrase to sell something so lacking (I never would).
Telling us thin, obvious things to do with Twitter, Facebook, and Blogs is an insult to the other authors who have 'real' books/audio while these authors may be simply capitalizing on the 'me too' category on internet marketing/business.
If you buy this book, it may make you think, but your bank acccount will be a little smaller. If you insist on getting this book, buy it USED and VERY WORN. Hopefully you can get it for less than $5.00 soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Book, April 25, 2013
I purchased this book when it was first published and I finally got around to reading it. I'm about to launch a new website and I knew I needed to read this book first. Although I haven't yet finished it, the book is providing me with ideas about how to reimagine my existing content and it even suggests a publishing schedule with daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, biannual and annual tasks. If you are just starting a blog, read this book first. If you have been writing a blog for a while (like me) and are looking for new inspiration and oomph, this is a wonderful book. It also makes a strong case for videos and podcasts (which I've been avoiding) but now I'm shopping for a camcorder. It's a worthwhile book for every blogger in every industry. I know that I'm going to recommend it and loan it to friends and clients.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pick up this book., April 22, 2013
I picked this book out because I was looking for ways to increase my personal brand online. I am a graduating college student and promoting my brand is very important to me. I learned some really great advice and information I never thought I would need to know. This is a great book for beginners and intermediate users. I do not consider myself a beginner but I am by no means an expert.

Content Rules does have some language that caters to a more mature audience, so keep that in mind. That being said this added a nice hint of humor to it. The constant reminder not to be a "Tool" was great. I cannot complain though, it is great advice. I feel the humor was an attempt to keep the mood light because they throw a lot of information at you. I was often overwhelmed with the amount of information and suggestions posted in this book. To be fair, they do warn you that creating great content takes hard work. In the intro they also state that this book is meant to be skipped around and picked up and put down. Right after they bombard you with information they remind you not to freak out and break it down nicely.

While the lists were overwhelming at times and there are a ton of them, they were extremely helpful. This book, to my knowledge covers absolutely everything you would need to know and more. I especially enjoyed the part where they inform you not to feed the trolls. I will say this is the first time I have ever read a book that tells you how to deal with online trolls. Content Rules was not full of information I have not heard before but rather recharged my desire to make my online presence. It is always good to learn again how to make killer content.

The book really made me realize how much people want to feel like they are interacting with a real person. Content that makes connections sells and it is ok to sound and be human. I used to be very selective in my blog posts and how I present myself. I learned that I need to understand that my blog posts are not going to be perfect and that might actually be a good thing. I will look to add more of a human aspect to my content.

The one thing that gives Content Rules its credibility is the examples and studies is uses to back up the information. They do a great job of asking the questions everyone wants answers to. They not only ask them but also tell you how to solve them and give examples. It really makes you think about how wrong most online content is. The book also covers all the little details in creating content for your audience. Will your video work on mobile phones and is your information easily accessible? The book helps you see all those little details that people too often overlook.

I would not recommend that everyone reads the entire book. Maybe take the chapters you find relevant and break them down. Work on the suggestions and move on. I found the book harder to follow the deeper I went in. One can read only so many lists and cases studies before they all start to blur together. Some of the advice does feel redundant and almost like common sense to me. That being said it is apparent that Content Rules is also trying to reach those just starting. I honestly feel that no matter your experience you will find something to take from it. I can recommend this book to anyone. I know there is great information here and some of it I plan on reading over again.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must-Have for Your Marketing Library!, December 6, 2010
Though I contributed to chapter 10 of this book, I didn't see how the whole book came together until my advance copy arrived in the mail. What a refreshing - and much-needed - look at how to connect with prospects and customers!

While there's plenty of talk these days about the need to embrace content marketing, there are few pointers on how to execute on it or examples of companies doing it well. Until now.

Ann Handley and C.C. Chapman have written a book that's a breeze to read but is sure to inspire you to action, with how-tos on creating and sharing content and real-world stories of companies doing it right. You'll pick up practical tips for developing and distributing a variety of content types, and ideas from the winning initiatives of the companies profiled. (I certainly did!)

As the authors say, organizations of any size from any industry will walk away from this book feeling confident about using content to "cultivate fans, arouse passion for their products and services, and ignite their business."

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes, we do need another book on content. This one!, December 7, 2010
You will need to be a content creator and curator...or else you won't survive some of the new shifts in how people gather information, make buy decisions and build brand loyalty.

We can't rely on others (mass media, press releases, other "official" sources) or manufactured hype to tell our story anymore. It's our responsibility to tell our own stories and create content that helps people find us, understand us, and ultimately buy us.

I can hear you now...do we really need another "content is king" book? Probably not. This may not be the first book written on the topic, but it is definitely one of the best I have read. It's fun to read, insightful and most important in my opinion -- Ann and C.C. give you the tools to take action.

They set the stage by demonstrating why content matters and then quickly move into the how's. A wide range of case studies, examples and stealable ideas will get your mind racing and the dog-eared pages multiplying.

I love the straightforward approach, the humor and the humanity of this book. With chapter titles like Share or Solve; Don't Shill and If Webinars Are Awesome Marketing Tools, Why Do Most of Them Suck -- you know you're going to learn a thing or two without having to dig through a lot of pretentious language or fluff.

The book itself is a living example of how potent content can be, when written for the reader, with their best interest at heart. And that of course, is the kernel of truth that is the heart of content marketing.

B-to-B your playground? Have no fear -- they take special care of you in this book with a chapter devoted just to you and plenty of B-to-B examples and case studies.

Seriously -- you need to read and learn from this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seriously, I could have used this book 5 years ago, December 1, 2010
Despite having written on the web for five years, and even written a book about the web, I am only now getting a grasp on the importance of creating great content. If I had read this book when I had first gotten online (had it existed then), there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that I would be more successful as a result of it.

Like some reviewers have said here before me, I came at this book as an 'expert,' someone who felt they would learn only a little, but in reality, I learned a lot-- specifically about structure, about how-to, best pratices, and a lot more. I think I might keep learning if I read it a second time-- every page feels like it has information you could apply to the work you do online.

You could almost say that this book can be used as a kind of textbook for the creation of excellent content. Considering that content must be the cornerstone of any successful online business (or anyone trying to get some attention) on the web, getting this book could be critical to your business. Not only do I recommend it, I recommend that after reading it, you put in your to-do list to read it again in a few months-- that's definitely what I'm planning.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sound principles, plenty of case studies., November 29, 2010
Content Rules is a solid book for anyone wanting to take advantage of the shift from old media to online content. The concept is nothing new if you have read David Meerman Scott's "New Rules of Marketing and PR" - you no longer have to convince media outlets to write about your product, you can create the content yourself. Once you have the concept you are then stuck saying "Ok, how do I create all this content?", and that's where this book comes in.

There are two major lessons in the book, one is outlining the tactics - creating a publishing calendar, developing an unique voice, leaving shopworn marketing copy like "paradigm shift" and "flexible, integrated solutions" behind. The other is that it is filled with case studies. Just about anyone who has done anything interesting in the online space in the past 3 years gets some ink in this book and that's where the five stars come in - you could scan blogs, podcasts and other media for months picking up the lessons in these case studies one at a time, or you can get all that work done in a day or two by reading this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Content Rules" Rules!, March 1, 2011
How many "how to" books have you bought or read lately? How many delivered the goods? In other words, how many provided you with the ideas or concrete steps that you could actually understand and use right away? Thought so. So I was pleasantly surprised when I read "Content Rules" co-written by Ann Handley and C.C. Chapman. No geek-speak, no high-tech bafflegab. Just down-to-earth, simple advice and real world examples that mere mortals like myself can follow, reference and put into action.

The processes for creating "killer blogs, podcasts, videos, ebooks, webinars and more" are laid out like two people yakking over a coffee. There are many "that's just what I need and can use!" moments throughout the book. References to dozens of actual examples of what Ann and C.C. talk about can be explored online. Anyone reading "Content Rules" will be able to clearly see what can work for them and more importantly why and how.

I had a hard time putting "Content Rules" down. My book has post-it notes all through it, a clear sign of how its content resonates with my needs. Heck, I'll be reading it again and again! I'm really excited about putting my first blog together using "Content Rules" as my roadmap and beefing up two websites I'm working on.

"Content Rules" is a must read for anyone, from newbies to tech-savvy pros, looking to create more effective social media applications and/or to punch up their current online presence.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent and well written guide to creating compelling social media content., December 12, 2010
There is a content revolution happening in business and it is based on the surprisingly rare insight that marketing generally works better when you have something to say. Just because you have a good story to tell, however, doesn't mean that you'll always have the right skills to tell it. Luckily, Content Rules is the book that can help you build those skills, even if your experience with social media to date mainly consists of trying to avoid getting overloaded by it. Unlike most other books written about social media or content, the authors of this one are actually good at it. From the quality of the writing to the strength of the ideas, this is a great book for anyone who wants (or needs) to create compelling content online and wants a useful guide book on how to do it. (This review was originally published on the Influential Marketing Blog along with an interview with Ann Handley)

5.0 out of 5 stars Required Reading for Marketers, January 14, 2011
I teach a graduate course in New Media Marketing, and just revamped my entire curriculum to incorporate this book into every module. Although the subtitle mentions specific technologies (podcasts, blogs, etc.), the principles C.C. and Ann cover apply to any marketing channel, which means that this book will stand the test of time and remain a valuable resource for my students well after they've begun their careers as marketers. Content Rules is both informative and entertaining, which keeps students engaged and helps them to really absorb important lessons. This, in turn, equips them to outperform their competition in every respect (jobs, campaign success, etc.).

Content Rules rules! Get it, read it, share it, and re-read it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 313 | Next ›