5.0 out of 5 stars Our Mission -- "Save the content, save the world."
About a year ago, a web designer recommended that I read "Content Strategy for the Web" by Kristina Halvorson. Although the designer was very enthusiastic about the book, I felt my nightstand was already overloaded with "must reads," and I politely declined. What a mistake!

Published on April 15, 2012 by Gretchen Newby

3.0 out of 5 stars 4 stars for large corporations, 3 stars for small business.
Good book full of great insight but better suited to a large corporation than a small business.
A majority of the book deals with managing and organizing the flow of content between various "stake holders," perfect if you work at huge company with a bunch or bureaucratic hoops to jump through.

If you are a small business with only one or two points of...
Published 10 months ago by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Our Mission -- "Save the content, save the world.", April 15, 2012
This review is from: Content Strategy for the Web, 2nd Edition (Paperback)

There is a bright side. By waiting a year, I was able to read the second edition of "Content Strategy for the Web" by Kristina Halvorson and Melissa Rach. This book is compelling, entertaining, visionary, instructive, applicable and needed. I'm a Marketing Director, and I've made this required reading for my web team and writers. I've also shared highlights with my boss and my boss' boss.

I'm joyfully spreading the word about the importance of web content. Content needs to be considered at the beginning and throughout the web development process. Good content improves SEO, increases web traffic, establishes your brand, and works with the site design and architecture to create an engaging and satisfying user experience that promotes customer relationships and repeat business. See how important content is?

This book will lead you step-by-step through web content production, process, implementation, and maintenance. The book is very thorough, consistently logical, and surprisingly funny. I suggest you read it with a highlighter, but this is more than a "how to" book. It's a revolution, and it will completely change your view of web development. I would also buy two copies of the book because you will want to share it, and you won't want to give your copy away.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, but lacking in report examples, June 24, 2013
This review is from: Content Strategy for the Web, 2nd Edition (Paperback)
This book is a great introduction to the world of content strategy.
My only issue is that it is lacking in what I feel is the most important chapter: Discovery / Audit.
Example, "there are dozens (if not hundreds) of possible subjective factors you can review during a qualitative audit." However, only 9 examples are given.
Additionally, the Findings Report section gives only 3 examples of insightful reports. It would be awesome to have more examples of audit reports.

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish I Read This a Year Ago!, April 3, 2013
This review is from: Content Strategy for the Web, 2nd Edition (Paperback)
I am playing catch up in the Content Management space, while doing a redesign of a website with +17,000 files and no content strategy. While this book leads me to think "I wish we had..." and "If only we did X...", it will help lead us to a (slow developing) content strategy for all our content.

It's not often a work-related book falls in the "I Can't Put This Down" category, but this is surely one of those!

Recommended to all.

4.0 out of 5 stars If You do Social Media Strategy, You Have to Know Content Strategy, June 26, 2012
This review is from: Content Strategy for the Web, 2nd Edition (Paperback)
If a management consultant and a website copy writer got married, then "Content Strategy for the Web" would be their first child. It's one of those books that you'll want to read cover-to-cover to get the big picture, and then re-read, scissors in-hand (well, Evernote), to pluck out the many useful methodologies.

What makes this book so useful is that the authors know that no matter how brilliant the strategy, no matter how creative the content, if you don't have the buy-in of the organization and embrace the mundane details of execution, you'll fall flat on your face. This svelte 184-page guide goes into just the right depth on:

* What content is
* What an effective strategy looks like
* What screws up strategies
* The roles of each person in the content creation supply chain
* How to dissect the content creation workflow
* Tools that will make your life easier (my favorite part)
* How to do a content audit
* How concepts like "voice" and "messages" fit in

All of this is done with a minimum of jargon, a maximum of realism, and a smattering of humor to keep you motivated through the end. Authors Kristina Halvorson and Melissa Rach also deserve a round of applause for one final touch: at the end of the book they list blogs, Meetups, Google Groups and other books that continue your education on content strategy. Those are several steps further than most authors take, and as a reader, it's much appreciated.

Content Strategy is available on Kindle, but I picked up the print version because that's where I saw it first and I couldn't resist. In retrospect, the beautiful layout gave me the mental room to reflect on the weight of the ideas better than the e-version would have. Either format will work, so pick the one you'll most likely read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Kristina Halvorson = A+++, May 13, 2013
I love Kristina Halvorson's entertaining writing style. Some may think this is a dry subject matter, but Kristina's writing style is witty and very entertaining. I was able to attend one of her conferences recently and as in the book, she brings great insight into content strategy in very layman terms.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Read, May 10, 2013
This review is from: Content Strategy for the Web, 2nd Edition (Paperback)
I was hooked on this book after the first three pages. If you want to learn the ins and outs of content strategy, get this TODAY!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Introduction to Content Strategy, April 27, 2013
This review is from: Content Strategy for the Web, 2nd Edition (Paperback)
There is not much more to add to the other glowing comments. This book remains the starting point for people wanting to learn more about content strategy.

I think you need to read both editions. The first edition (Content Strategy for the Web) is just as good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, January 11, 2014
Easy read. Stuffed with insight and clear instructions. Fits like a glove with my own thinking about focusing on the wanted results - and measuring results continuously. Very inspiring.

3.0 out of 5 stars 4 stars for large corporations, 3 stars for small business., August 22, 2013
This review is from: Content Strategy for the Web, 2nd Edition (Paperback)

If you are a small business with only one or two points of contact and largely self manage your own website, Content Rules: How to Create Killer Blogs, Podcasts, Videos, Ebooks, Webinars (and More) That Engage Customers and Ignite Your Business (New Rules Social Media Series) is a much better choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books on Content Marketing period., April 20, 2013
I'm particular when looking for books about marketing. I've been in the advertising & marketing industry for over 15 years so it's important they provide value and teach me things I don't know. I look for books that are well-written, provide a good perspective on the subject, give information you can actually use and answer the "WHY". This book hits the mark on all accounts. I've read hundreds of blog posts, books, whitepapers, etc. on the subject of Content Marketing and would recommend this book over most of the information out there. It's easy to read, witty, and really tells you how it all works. If you're interested in Content Marketing or are learning to use it for your business (or provide it as a service), this book is an absolute must!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Content Strategy for the Web, 2nd Edition
Content Strategy for the Web, 2nd Edition by Kristina Halvorson (Paperback - February 20, 2012)
$34.99 $22.79