Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 3, 2007 10:43:08 AM PST
Scotty says:
I have the 8 CD Deluxe Spanish Program by Michel Thomas. Is there anyone who has listened to the 8 CD program and the newly issued 10 CD program who would be willing to share the differences? Is it the same course with two review CDs? What did you think of the review CDs? I also have the 2 CD spanish vocabulary builder release and last year's british 4 CD release on Advanced Spanish. I assume the new 5 CD US release is identical. For all the criticism regarding Michel's deluxe course (yes, the male student drove me crazy as well), I have learned a great deal from all of Michel's spanish programs. I don't regret buying a single one. If there is worthwhile new material on the new releases, I would be interested in finding out. Thanks in advance.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2007 6:00:33 AM PST
D. Hauge says:
The new 10 CD is the old 8 CD with 2 review disks which I haven't got to yet. I have the builder too and now the advanced (how is it?). I note he has another 2 CD course out (not the builder).

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2007 6:39:32 AM PST
Scotty says:
Thanks for your reply. You answered the first question, i.e., 8 of the 10 CDs is the old deluxe program. By the way, the secret is to listen and learn the content and try not to let the male student distract or frustrate you. I've listened to the CDs 6 times and still pick up something useful with each listening. I was very impressed with the Advanced Spanish program. First of all, the two students are very good ... none of the problems from the 8 CDs. Second, Michel covers a lot the grammar he missed or didn't go into thoroughly with the Deluxe course. For example, he provides a user-friendly way to learn the preterite tense (i.e., simple past) providing lots of examples with regular verbs and irregular verbs. He compares the imperfect tense and preterite tense and when to use each. He revisits the conditional and future tenses and the commands (formal and informal) with a more in-depth focus of the irregular verbs. He shows you how to use the past subjunctive. He also provides ways of thinking in spanish as opposed to english which he refers to as "sharpened awareness of your own language." The Advanced program probably has two CDs worth of "review" material covering concepts taught in the Deluxe course. I wonder if the publisher used this material for the 2 review CDs for the 10 CD course or other material. Just curious. I am unaware of another 2 CD course out there other than the Language Builder which I have too. I wonder if it's the 2 CD "trial" course - Getting Started - which is simply the first 2 CDs of the 8 CD Deluxe course or new 10 CD course?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2007 12:38:28 PM PDT
C. James says:
I have the 8 cd course . my job used to be editing for BBC radio programmes . I have edited the course and removed 90% of Thomas's slobbering sounds . Also I have removed both of the students . And inserted a gentle beep sound between the questions and answers . The resulting files are about half the size of teh original edits . I find them far , far faster and a lot easier to get along with . cj.james@ntlworld.com

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2007 2:07:29 PM PDT
Scotty says:
I wish I had your ability to edit the course. I believe you when you say that it is far faster and a lot easier to get along with the course. Probably improved it tremendously. Did you notice that Amazon will be releasing a new 5 CD Language Builder for Spanish? Rose Lee Hayden, a trusted associate of Michel's, is using the same method for learning that Michel did in his recordings. The big difference is that they will be using two native speakers so that the listeners can hear the correct pronunciation of words and phrases. There will be 70 minutes of instruction on each of the 5 CDs. The set of CDs will be released on September 30, 2007. Looking forward to it. Should be a big improvement.

Posted on Aug 23, 2009 12:43:51 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 23, 2009 12:45:39 PM PDT
The Get Started 2 CDs are the first two CDs of the 10 CDs program.

The 10 CDs program equals the 8 CDs Deluxe PLUS a quick review or overview of the 8 CDs in the additional 2 CDs

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2009 6:41:24 PM PDT
Scotty says:
Thank you for the information. I don't see a reason to purchase the updated version with the two additional review CDs. I found the later programs much more enjoyable since they built on what I had learned earlier. I found the advanced program particularly helpful. Thanks again.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  4
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Jan 3, 2007
Latest post:  Aug 23, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about