I imagine most people need to know two things about this mug.

1) It really is a terrific insulator. Your coffee will be hot all morning, and probably into the afternoon with this mug. I have found coffee hot 5 hours after I poured it. Hot.

2) It doesn't leak. Yeah, that's what they promise, but the surprise is that the clever and more importantly well constructed lid does not leak. You could store it upside down in your important files cabinet if you needed to. It's a great mug.

Also, I think it looks cool. It fits my cupholder in my truck. It's easy to clean. Those are all nice too.

HTH
6565 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 27, 2008
My husband called my old car "the cheesemobile," because I often spilled my white chocolate whole-milk lattes between the seats while driving and couldn't clean up the mess before it soured and stank. Hot summers in that car were not fun.

My new car is the same color as this beautiful insulated mug, and the car smells fine because the mug works so well. Screw on the lid and your drink is secure - hot or cold. Simply press the button and drink. When you release the button and put the mug down, the drinking port closes tightly. Knock the mug over and the most that will spill (assuming the lid is screwed on securely) is the one drop that might be left in the drinking port. Keep the button pressed until you put the mug back in the cupholder and even that drop probably won't be there. No levers to forget to close. No lids you need to align, or snap on and wonder if the snap worked.

Because the mug is designed with two-layer construction with an air gap, hot things stay hot, and cold things stay cold for longer than it usually takes to drink the contents.

The steel construction makes this a durable item I expect will last me for years. The sleek design is very attractive and well-proportioned -- it fits in most cupholders without being top heavy, and it feels good in my hand.

Even washing the mug can be fun: put a bit of soap and half a cup of really hot water in, close the top tightly, shake vigorously, then point the top away from you into the sink and press the button. Enjoy the dramatic fountain spray! (Just watch for the backsplash, and don't get burned...)

My one complaint: the blue paint isn't as durable as the plain brushed steel finish. My husband's steel version still looks new, while my blue one looks a bit scuffed.

If I ever lose this mug, I'd replace it in a heartbeat.
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 22, 2011
I have used this Contigo Coffee mug for over a year and a half. I love it because it is the only travel mug that does not spill or leak AND it keeps my coffee warm.
However, as other reviewers pointed out, cleaning is an issue. It is easy to clean if you have the correct tools, but if you don't have the correct tools and make the mistake of thinking you are cleaning it by just washing the lid, you will be negatively surprised one day when a chunk of old coffee finds its way into your drink. It is repulsive; I am not going to lie. However, this is the only mug that does what I need, so I have no armed myself with tools to properly clean the lid.
I have one small bottle scrub brush (I believe it would be like the sippy straw cleaners they sell on Amazon) and I have a miniscule brush cleaner (also on Amazon, Wilton Tip Brush) which is used for cleaning out the tips of icing bags for cake decorators.
Every day after I enjoy my coffee at work, I immediately rinse the lid out under hot water, and then I let it sit on my desk to air dry (so no mold grows). When I get home at night, I wash the lid with soap and water as normal, and then I take these the two brushes I mentioned above to clean out the crevices, sticking the tiny brush through the drink hole (where a lot of coffee collects) and all the tiny parts, and the larger brush to get into the mechanism in the top of the lid, where coffee also collects. I am always amazed at what I will find. My husband is amazed that I still use the travel mug at all, but I am now confident that I am getting it clean. It takes me 2 minutes.
It is a lot of extra effort, but so is cleaning coffee out of my bag everyday, which use to be my routine. If you can't commit to cleaning the lid, then I wouldn't recommend this product because you will end up with chunks of old coffee in your mug, or worse in your mouth. Also, I have another coffee mug, OXO Good Grips LiquiSeal Travel Mug (also sold on Amazon). This travel mug also doesn't spill, but you can't get to mechanism to clean it. After cleaning my Contigo daily, I cringe to think what is hiding in my OXO coffee lid that I just can't see.

The benefit of the Contingo is that it does exactly what it says it will (not spill and keep your drinks warm) AND it allows you clean it. Getting all my coffee to work, and still drinkable, I am willing to take on the extra challenge of cleaning the lid thoroughly.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 12, 2012
I purchased 6 total mugs for my family. These look great, I don't have to worry about spills, and they keep drinks warm (warmer than any other cups based on my experience); okay, so why do they get 1 star and a bad review? Because, the company told me that I should purchase a new lid every 30-60 days! Get this, the lids cost almost as much as the cup!

Okay, so here's the story: I am an daily tea drinker. I know how to use vinegar to clean mugs if needed, and have kept the lids clean (which requires cleaning them between every single use with soap and water, which I do). So, the point is, I get that I have to keep the lids clean. However, after a while, the mugs started leaking regardless of how clean they were kept. First it was one of my kids mugs, I figured they were just rough with it or something. Then the other lid started having a problem, so I told my kids to use regular glass mugs and sit at the table for now on in order to drink tea.

Then my mug started leaking, and creaking, and not serving its purpose. I used one of the other ones, again, started having the same issue, and so did my wofe. So, I called the company to complain and was told "that's why we carry replacement lids; please visit our website to purchase new lids." I stated that I had only had these for about 5 weeks and the customer service rep said that she didn't expect the lids to last much more than that and that I would need to purchase new lids. This is exactly what I was told by their customer service.

Ok, so let's do the math.
I purchased 4 cups at a big box store for $40.
2 cups online for about $20 each.
So far, I am out $80.

The company states the lids last 30-60 days, and the lids cost $7 each (at least for the models I have).

So, based on my conversation wiith customer service, I am expected to pay $42 per month (or every 60 days) in order to keep these mugs. That's between $252 to $504 per year if you own 6 mugs. So, the total cost of ownership of a Contigo mug is $104 per year... Oh, I didn't include tax. Sounds farfetched if you ask me, but that is how the numbers add up.

The fact is, these mugs are just not worth it. The company has some of the worst customer service reps I have ever dealt with. Take it from someone that works in manufacturing, the cost for these mugs to be created is almost nothing, the lids are probably 6-13 cents each depending on the how the assembly line in China sets the pieces in the plastic mold after it's cooled. So, this is a rip off. It's one thing to charge $20 for a mug; it's another to not support your product with the expressed intention of selling lids to consumers who supported your company.

Here are two replacement mugs from Thermos that I have purchased, & I must say, I have never had to replace the lids. they never leak, and in fact I use it at work, and I don't stir anything, I simply put what I want in it and shake it up, and it never leaks are spills at all. I have had the mugs listed below for almost 2 years, since writing this review.

Thermos Stainless King Travel Tumbler, 16-Ounce, Matte Black
Thermos 16-Ounce Vacuum-Insulated Travel Tumbler, Stainless Steel

Here is the funny part of my experience: my review has reviews!
I don't believe the average amazon customer, or customer of any store in general, would be writing a really long review about a review. Also, some are keeping track on those reviews years later in regards to a mug! It's quite obvious the more you look at some reviews online, many are single item reviewers and are likely employees of the manufacture in question. I worked as a marketing director for many years and many of these manufactures do create their own reviews. I have never honored the requests of the companies I have worked for, and those that do, should be ashamed of themselves.

This review has more reviews than any of my other reviews. There are so many comments on this review, all about my review. It's kind of hilarious considering that it is just a mug. the manufacturer made a phony attempt in a comment to rectify the situation, but when I actually contacted them, they offered no help; it was purely for show.

For anyone that doubts what I say, since you have so much time on your hands to review a review, you can just as easily get the customer service number for contigo, say that you have this particular model and need a replacement lid under the lifetime warranty, and see how much they tell you it's going to cost for the new lid and shipping. Discussion over.

Finally, for those of you who have missed it, the company has released a new lid, that now offers an easy way to clean it. If you call the company, or read some of the marketing literature, they will say that it was a common complaint about the old lid, the same one that I had on this mug! So it is not some magical plot for me to dare to say something about a lid that shall not be named, it is simply someone who was unhappy with a lid, and wanted to share my experience over two years ago.
5252 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 19, 2009
I love the design of this. The seal of the lid is tight - nothing leaks. It's very easy to operate and fits nicely in my car's cup holder despite the fact that it's a little bulbous towards the bottom. Drinking from it is also nice and clean - it doesn't leave residual liquid sloshing on the top of the lid. The hole for taking in air (also controlled by the autoseal button) is covered so nothing comes out there either. One thing to note, if you have hot liquids, pressure will build up and depressing the autoseal will release the steam and possibly some moisture - this makes cleaning it kind of fun as you can add hot water, detergent and shake then see how far you can spray. The stainless steel look is sharp and so far, hasn't dented or scratched. The rubberized potion of the lid provides good grip for you to hold the cup as well.

However, the lid needs serious work. The lid itself is what is holding me from recommending this product as well as purchasing it again should anything happen to this cup. First of all, I use a standard nylon dish sponge with pad to clean. It is too abrasive for the relatively soft plastic on the lid and left swirl marks. Also, brand new from Amazon, the lid has a deep scratch about 3/4" long on the top (so it's not from cutting the box open). Maybe it was returned? Also, the mouth area from where you drink from will pick up scratches from your teeth assuming you have decent dental hygiene. But those are mere quibbles. The real problem with the lid is that it is difficult to clean. I could have sworn I read somewhere that the lid can be dismantled for cleaning but this is NOT the case. inside the lid is a fairly complicated network of plastic with lots of spaces for liquid to get pocketed in. The actual plastic that controls the open and shut piece is hidden and cannot be seen - thus cannot be cleaned. The only way I can think of cleaning this is with hot water and detergent and copious amounts of shaking. This is not enough for me. I want something that can be taken apart and cleaned. I've used this 4 times now - it's a week old. I use it to hold coffee every morning to work. Coffee is in this cup for about 3 hours. I rinse it out using the above method after and use it for water from a water cooler. The water tastes like coffee. It's not strong...but it's there. The tumbler itself holds no taste of the coffee or smell...it's from the lid. I imagine if you use this strictly for coffee and coffee only...then you don't have this issue but...just because you don't taste residual coffee doesn't mean that it's not there.

On the Contigo site, you cannot use cleaners containing bleach, chlorine, abrasives, and/or other harsh chemicals to clean this. Basically, it's clean only as hard as you can agitate the water. Not very clean in my opinion.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 30, 2011
Oh the passion of coffee lovers. I enjoy reading Amazon reviews as they can be so very entertaining and this section is full of fun. I commute 1 hour each way over the Santa Cruz Mountains (think winding and sloshy) in a bouncy 4x4. The first thing you like to see in a lidded travel mug is no leaks. This baby has that covered and then some. It baffles me that you can hold it upside down and it doesn't drip a drop and yet with the press of a button, you're sipping coffee baby! That's not to say you should hold it over your lap and shake it all about, but the sealing mechanism is fantastic so far. The second thing I like my mug to do well is in keeping my coffee hot and this mug is just a few notches below an actual sealed Thermos when it comes to heat retention. Honestly I don't mind my coffee cooling down a little, it's unbearable to try and sip coffee that's still piping hot from the pot.

PROS: Holds your liquid and doesn't drip a drop. Keeps your coffee hot anywhere from 1.5 to 2 hours in a 50 degree climate, maybe longer but it doesn't take me THAT long to finish drinking a cup. Clever valve button, it's placement helps you find the drink spout without having to look down at the cup while driving.

CONS: Chicks don't check me out when I'm drinking out of it, but that might have a lot to do with my face. Cleanup; some are complaining that it's difficult to keep clean because of the complex sipping mechanism; valid I guess if you use cream and sugar so you'll need to be fastidious with your daily mug hygiene. Drinking spout takes a bit of getting used to as there is no lip at the sipping point and really hot coffee hits your mouth BLAM! quick like. It's like an open mouth kiss on the edge of a Formica counter, kind of weird at first but not a big deal. (for the record, I no longer perform open mouth kisses on counter-tops due to a salmonella issue back in '89)

If you like cream & sugar in your coffee then ask yourself if you really need a sealing mug. There are plenty of other mugs out there with simple swipe-to-open lids that are easy to clean even if you forget about the mug for a day or two.

Enjoy your day and don't take your mugs too seriously.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 13, 2013
Let me preface this review with what I did not want. I previously had a plastic/metal travel mug. In the 10 minutes it takes to drive to work, at least in the winter, the ambient temp in the cupholder of my car is obviously colder than the coffee in the mug. By the time I got to work, the coffee was lukewarm at best - and it didn't taste right. It didn't taste outright like plastic, but just not the same as if I drink it at home.

Enter this mug. In a word: wow! No taste transfer, hot stays hot, cold stays cold. Even an hour later at my desk - coffee is still hot. How hot? Well, to be a nerd and have some fun I did a little test: I made a pot of "burn your mouth hot" coffee, that you can barely sip/slurp without hurting yourself. I poured it into the Contigo (which was just a room temp), closed it, and put it in the fridge for an hour. That's a lot colder than the commute in a car in winter since cars eventually warm, but the fridge stays cold. I took it out after said hour, opened the top and steam was still coming off the top. I tried to take a sip - and still burned my mouth. Now that's the kind of insulation a travel mug should have! I'm confident that wherever I go, at my destination, my coffee will still be hot.

Oh, and the spillproof top is pretty cool, too. Those that complain it's still not easy to wash: what exactly are you carrying around in your mug? If you're just using it for coffee or tea the only thing in there should be liquids. Even if you use heavy cream just rinse with a little soapy water and done. What's so difficult? No problems here.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 15, 2009
These mugs were the answer to our prayers. reusable coffee cup, lid that worked well, stainless body, kept coffee really hot for a long time.
And then I washed the lids. And reused them, washed, reused--and within a week, my coffee developed an off-smell. The lid smelled like a locker room, and the smell would not go away. I could hear liquid in the lid, and it would not dry out.
The concept is great, and I want these mugs to work, because they're the best I've tried, but I won't buy them again. The lids are just impossible to clean thoroughly, and if you're drinking coffee daily, there's just no way to wash the tops properly. Gross.
108108 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 22, 2009
I owned this mug for several months. It delivered on all of the promises: wouldn't spill when flipped upside down, kept liquids hot or cold for a long time, sleek design duly noted. However, the lid is impossible to clean, and things get funky fast. I am not someone who leaves their coffee cup lying around for days; I diligently cleaned the mug after every use, yet the coffee-crud build-up was inevitable. After a month's worth of daily use, it got to the point where not only did I preemptively dread taking a sip, I felt it was not in my best interest to do so. The weird taste/stench coming from the lid screamed unsanitary! I bought a fancy mini-brush to see if a deep scrub would do the trick; nope.

This product would be worth the full 5 stars if one could clean it. But as it stands, it's a waste of $20. Keep looking for the perfect travel mug (and let me know if you find it)!
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 16, 2009
<Update - As of 1/2014, Contigo now sell replacement tops for $6 in which the entire mechanism flips up so that you can easier clean them and it includes a button lock and they are designed to fit this mug.>

After 6 years, I still use these mugs and their newer 20oz sibliings every single day. Never had a problem with our dishwasher getting them clean. Except for a few minor dents, the thermoses that are over 6 years old and SS finish are still like new, tho their lids have been replaced a couple of times now. Our kids take the Autoseal water bottle lids paired with the Sheffield Stainless Insulated Water Bottles to school every single day (yes the tops gets broken more easily than I'd like but I have yet to find a better overall alternative).

It is worth repeating... over 6 years of nearly daily usage I have had to replace the lids only once or twice. About once every 2 years on average (some more, some less). $10+$7+$7 = $24 / $6 = $4 per year for a mug that almost never leaks and keeps stuff hot or cold longer than its competition and is easier to drink out of, e.g. nothing to rotate or flip before drinking.

I see reviewers state that the tops are hard to clean by hand. I seldom try. We use the dishwasher and they come out very clean.

For a family of 5, we are up to 12 Contigo mugs (this very model and a couple of slight variations). The extras are useful for either extra ice storage on trips or backups when one needs cleaned.

Avoid the plastic version. Contigo Double Wall Plastic Tumbler with Autoseal lid, Black, Red Button. They are no where nearly as well insulated, the button is not as easy to push, are not any lighter to lift and do not hold as much.

Although the color versions comes in handy to differenciate whose is whose in a family of 5, the color chips off fairly quickly and only the non-painted SS versions still look like new.

We have had 8 tops break over the years from being dropped.

We have had several tops eventually start leaking, but new tops solves the problem.

I purchased our first mug in order to evaluate it as a replacement to our insulated plastic sippy(drippy) cups for our 4 year old and it worked out so well that when we saw 2 packs at Costco, we quickly purchased 6 more. Our youngest switched at 2 years old.

Contigo does have a line of plastic cups for kids, but the button is harder to press and they are NOT insulated.

You DO want to get into the habit of pressing the button before you put it up to your mouth. Hot liquids release steam and soda releases fizz. Not a big deal for us.

These are far less likely to leak than their competitors.

The design of the area you drink from is also nice in that it less prone to dribbling (More than once I have shown up at a meeting with water or pop all over my shirt with the Nisson mugs), however the design would also probably make it a bit more difficult to sense just how hot a beverage is and let it cool before touching your lips since there is nowhere for the liquid to pool under your nose before you taste it.

I no longer notice this, but at first, I did seem to notice a slight change in taste of my soda, but I think it is simply due to the shape of the mouthpiece. With other designs, you can smell the liquid and sense the bubbles as it travels between the lowered spout and your lips. With this design, it goes straight into the mouth. Since much of our sense of taste is actually our sense of smell, the raised spout design probably changes the taste slightly. For water, this is a non-issue. But having that seal allows you to really suck down a lot of water very quickly if you want to.

The packaging states that the tops ARE dishwasher safe, but the SS mug is not. For the 100% plastic version both the top and the bottom are hand wash only.

As a practical matter however, we have been putting both tops and bottoms in the dishwasher without any noticable problems. The bottoms are easily cleaned by hand so most of the time we just the tops are put into the dishwasher.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...