Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-HX100V 16.2 MP Exmor R CMOS Digital Still Camera with Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar 30x Optical Zoom Lens and Full HD 1080 Video
Used & New from: $160.00
Continuous shooting I read that the camera can take 10 frames per second for a maximum of ten frames and then must wait for almost 20 seconds for the data to be saved on the memory card.

Does that mean that I can only take 1 second worth of continuous shots at a time? Can I set the camera to take less than 10 frames and therefore increase the time of continuous shooting?
asked by Amazon Customer on July 22, 2011
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 answers
A
I offer the following information, previously displayed in the most active internet forum about the HX100v, i.e., the DPREVIEW website (and specifically, within its Sony Talk forum):

After taking a picture, during the "display after shooting" period, you can override the display time by pressing the shutter button half way down. When you do this, the camera returns to the live view mode almost immediately. This feature is NOT documented in the manual, but it is a fact that this feature works within the camera. Further, it is now regarded as "the word," among frequent readers of the dpreview website. Therefore, shoot and immediately HALF PRESS the shutter button, and you'll be ready to shoot again. You will simply have to practice a few times to gain confidence with it...and develop your own rhythm. It is challenging at first...but practice does make perfect.

Or, as another HX100 user on the Sony Talk forum stated: Do what I do. Shoot short bursts. Don't take a full burst of 10 and choke the buffer. Take short bursts. Three or four shots. Lay off the shutter for a moment, reaquire focus, then take another short burst. That way you don't choke the buffer. Shooting short bursts is the way to go, at least for me. Half a loaf is better than none.

[NOTE: the above info about Short Bursts requires the use to FIRST select LOW speed Burst from the camera's MENU settings. Then, your pix will be at 2 frames per second, or 10 frames in five seconds...unless you employ the Short Bursts method described again. I have NOT yet used this procedure myself, but do expect to remember it for when I do need it. I now keep my Burst set on LOW speed all the time.]

I recommend that all new HX100v users visit the DPREVIEW website (and within it, the forum entitled Sony Talk), to learn tons of features and procedures with your new camera. You will not find a more useful internet source for all of the questions--big and little--that you may have with this sophisticated new toy. You will also view an endless array of pictures taken by others with the HX100v...and perhaps learn just how capable the camera can be, with samples of macros, panoramas, landscapes, and zooms of animals in the wild. You will also find that the forum users are patient and very helpful in answering questions of all us newbies!

[I previously copied and saved the above information from multiple posts at Sony Talk, and paraphrased a few elements above. Gotta tell ya: Virtually everything I have learned AFTER reading the 274 page manual...is what I read at dpreview.]
A customer answered on August 12, 2011
Comment | 5 of 5 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
From what I have read.. there is a 10 and a 2 frame per second option. The guide also mentions a 5fps option but it may only be compatible with a particular shooting mode or other setting.
B. Baribeau answered on August 12, 2011
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Yes, 10 frames per second is possible, with a 10 second or more wait, this depends on the SD memory card speed. A SDXC, I, Class 10, memory card is recommend for fast transfer speeds of 10MB/s. If you require more, change to the movie mode.

I do outdoor race car pictures, for the past 30 years. I set the camera on manual, prefocus, preset the camera manually for the outdoor conditions and set the burst setting on continue shooting. Up to ten picture can be taken, depends on how long the shutter button is pressed, in a blink of an eye. Buy then the race car has pasted my position on the race track.

Depending on the size of the SD memory card and battery, these digital camera's can take up to 400 pictures. It is normal for me to take over 250 pictures per day at the race track.
JW answered on March 11, 2014
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product