5.0 out of 5 stars BEST FOR MILITARY/TACTICAL USE
Published on December 11, 2011 by Rob M.D.

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't believe the marketing hype...
Published on September 21, 2011 by Daniel A Lorek

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST FOR MILITARY/TACTICAL USE, December 11, 2011
This review is from: ContourROAM Hands-free HD Camcorder (Camera)
I want to first start by saying I have them all, the GoPro the Contour HD and the Contour Roam. I am stationed in remote Afghanistan and go out on foot patrols frequently. The other cameras require FAR too much prep time to be tactically practical. This one is amazing because it is one switch and done (ON)!! I keep it mounted with the adhesive mount to my Kevlar and it is always ready to go. The others require you to turn them on and have them on standby this is not preactical when the action starts. The image quality is as good as you want, except at night, but that is just a sacrifice you have to make on all cameras of this type. If you are a soldier you want THIS CAMERA!! Dont waste your money on the GoPro, it doesn't fit a soldier's style. Combine the images with iMovie and you can churn out very nice AAR's for your soldiers to learn from.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great HD camcorder for the range, December 13, 2011
This review is from: ContourROAM Hands-free HD Camcorder (Camera)
Well, I've taken the Contour Roam out to a few range trips now and I can give a much better review at this point.

Build Quality: 10/10
As soon as you pick up the Contour Roam, you will definitely notice the build quality of the device. It feels very solid with an aluminum tube body. The lower half where the mounting options would go is made of plastic but is securely attached to the main body. The camera angel can be adjusted by turning the front end of the device; it turns with a fluid motion and distinct notch at the -90, 0, 90, and 180 positions.

Clarity: 9/10
I was really impressed with the clarity of the lens - particularly at longer distances of about 15-20 yards. If your expectations for a device like this are reasonable, you'll be happy with the image quality. In the video that I made, I used a Canon S100 and the Contour Roam. You can definitely tell a difference in the image quality if you compare the two. That being said, the Contour did very well and you can make out details just fine.

Mic Sensitivity: 1/10
One thing that I noticed about the Contour Roam was that there was no way to control the mic sensitivity on the device itself. In order to change the setting, the user has to connect the Contour to the computer and open up the software. While there, the user can adjust the mic sensitivity level. One bad thing about this is that you have to adjust in the software and then try it out to see if it works for your application.

Looks like my unit is an earlier production one where they identified an issue with the mic. The company's policy is to exchange the units at no cost to the customer. I'll update the review when I get my new unit.

[Update 12/20/2011] - Since Amazon had a lightening deal on the Contour Roam, I decided to pick up another one of these camcorders. I was a little hesitant due to the mic issue but sure enough, this camcorder does NOT have a mic issue. When set at level 42, I can speak in my normal voice and it records just fine.

Camera Controls: 10/10
On/Off - Turning the camera on and off doesn't get any easier than this. There is a top mounted switch that you slide forward (towards the lens) to turn it on and slide it to the rear to turn it off. This allows for fast activation of the camera and it starts recording within 1-2 seconds of the switch being turned on.

Status/Laser button - The rear mounted laser button allows for easy actuation by simply pressing the button on the rear. If you run a flashlight on your carbine such as the SureFire E2D, you'll know what I'm referring to. The purpose of this control is to check the status of the memory card, battery, and also it activates a laser leveler which is pretty neat.

Format button - When you insert a new microSD card into the camera, you'll have to reformat it prior to use. The format button is recessed into the body of the camera and you will need either a pin or a toothpick to push the button. So before you head out for a trip with spare cards, make sure you format them all before you leave the house unless you always carry a pin or a toothpick.

Mounting options: 10/10
Contour has released a lot of mounting options for this product. In the box you get a helmet mount (can rotate up or down) and a profile mount (non-rotating). For my purposes, I chose to buy the picattiny rail mount since this was going on my carbine. One thing to note about the picatinny rail mount is that there is a slight wobble to the camera when you attach it to the mount. To fix this, I just wedged a small piece of rubber in between the camera and the mount.

Software: 7/10
The user needs to download the Contour Roam program from their main website; no installation disk comes with the camcorder. The software isn't the most intuitive but it isn't horrible by any means. One interesting thing to note is that if you play any of the videos inside the program, you will get NO sound. Once you transfer the videos from the Contour Roam to your computer, you need to look for the video file in your computer and play it from there. I was getting ready to return the camcorder thinking that it was defective but I gave it one last shot and it worked. This is something that needs to be addressed by the company.

Conclusion: I'm very happy with this purchase and I would definitely recommend it to other folks.

Since Amazon will not allow linking to you tube, you can access my video through the method below.

Go to youtube and enter "eNg_uggBg0Y" to watch my video. Skip to time 0:53 to watch the video recording with the Contour Roam.

5.0 out of 5 stars Update Roam1 with Roam2 firmware - full Roam2 functionality on Roam1!, May 6, 2013
Hey friends,

I found a way to install the Roam2 Firmware to the Roam1. Now you have all Roam2 features on the old Roam1

This is how it works:

Go to the contour homepage and download the current Contour2 Firmware V2.16

Download Firmware V2.16 -> you get the file "ContourRoam2.bin"

Rename the file to "ContourRoam.bin"

Plug the ContourROAM1 camera into your computer using a USB cable. Check to see that the Record slider is not in the forward (or ON) position. Once connected, the Battery LED on the ContourROAM1 will turn red and the camera will appear as an external USB device on your computer.

On your computer, navigate to the camera which is mounted as an external storage device.

Copy the ContourROAM.bin file that you downloaded and renamed in Step 2 to the camera's microSD card. Do not put it in any subfolders on the camera's microSD card.

On the microSD card of the camera will be a file called FW_RTC.txt. The file may be hidden and you may need to enable the ability to view hidden files in your computer's settings. Open the FW_RTC.txt file with a text editor application.

Near the top of the file is a line of text that reads `UPDATE_FW:N'. Change the `N' to a `Y' so it appears as `UPDATE_FW:Y' and save the file. This will instruct your camera to update the firmware when it next starts up.

Unplug the camera from your computer.

Press and release the Status Button. The camera will beep and the Memory and Battery LEDs will flash while the update is in progress. When the update is completed the camera will beep again and turn off.

That's it, now you have all Roam2 functions on your Roam1 including 720p with 60 FPS.

If you want, open the StoryTeller App on your PC and check if a Contour Roam2 will be recognized under "Devices".

Check some vids under youtube, username "budschidau". Have fun!

Regards from wonderful Bavaria - Prost!

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't believe the marketing hype..., September 21, 2011
Daniel A Lorek (San Diego, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ContourROAM Hands-free HD Camcorder (Camera)
I've only used the camera a couple of times so far... the first of which was during a consistent light rain while mountain biking out on the trails here in the Pacific Northwest. In the product description you'll find a whole paragraph describing how this unit is "super tough" and how the "ContourROAM is made to withstand encounters with everything from eating mud puddles", etc. After one outing in not super tough conditions I wound up with the front glass (or plastic, not sure what it's made of) having scratches in it from me wiping it clear while riding down the trail so that I could film.

This is not a huge deal for me as most surfaces will scratch when rubbed with wet dirt, fine, I get that. So, I contacted Contour describing what happened and asked if I could order some replacement glass for the front or if the existing lens refresh kits would work. Here's the reply from Contour:

There are currently no replacement lenses available. I'm told that opening the ROAM camera will lose it's waterproof rating and thus void the warranty. The ROAM does however come with a protective lens cap for when the camera is not in use.
We do hope to have a different scratched lens solution for the ROAM that does not void the warranty in the near future. Thank you for being patient.

A different scratched lens solution? Sounds like there is no lens scratch solution so buyer beware.

I am pleased with the video quality but think the HD model with the 60fps mode would have been a better choice specially when you can find them for 40% cheaper than this non-serviceable model. There's a reason why the GoPro's are so successful.

4.0 out of 5 stars Battery performace is a little lackluster, September 25, 2011
This review is from: ContourROAM Hands-free HD Camcorder (Camera)
I have to say that the quality for this portable device is pretty good, but battery wasn't so good, I only got 2 and half hours on one full charger.

5.0 out of 5 stars ContourROAM: Simple, HD Helmet Camera Video, October 19, 2011
This review is from: ContourROAM Hands-free HD Camcorder (Camera)
Background: I had been researching and investigating helmet cameras for the better part of the last 12-16 months. The primary use I have for helmet cameras is helmet-mounted and pole-mounted video recording for my snowboarding (mis)adventures. When looking at different options I had several criteria that were most important to me: video quality, ease of use, built quality and durability, and ergonomics for helmet mounting. By the end of summer 2011 - I had narrowed my search down to the GoPro Hero HD and the ContourROAM. While the GoPro sported more shooting modes, more robust waterproof/impact protection, and more mounting options, the ROAM was much simpler to use in the field, was significantly more ergonomic when mounted to a helmet, and sported the same 170° field of view as the GoPro. Eventually I settled on the ROAM because, as I figured, the possibility of losing a camera in the backcountry was a significant purchasing factor for me.

The ROAM does everything as advertised. The video quality is great, the fisheye effect is exactly what I was looking for, and it mounted perfectly to my Red Mutiny II helmet. After a weekend of ATVing and camping, all of my videos look great and I am very excited to take it out into the snow. For anyone looking for a great, simple helmet/adventure camera, I would absolutely recommend the ROAM. The only concern I had after the weekend of use was that the beeping sound seemed to fluctuate tones over the weekend (I'm not sure if this is due to the -10°C temperatures, low battery, or what).

Overall, the entire Contour experience is simple and pain-free. Setting the camera up, using it in the field, uploading the video, and, finally, viewing the footage was a pleasing and easy experience. For those looking for a cavalcade of shooting modes, GPS, iOS/Android Bluetooth linking, or other premium features, the ROAM may not be for you... however, if you want an easy-to-use, well-designed helmet camera, the ContourROAM should do the trick for you.

Note: I will update this review once I get to use the ROAM in snowy conditions.

5.0 out of 5 stars My friends with GoPros stare in jealousy. Great camera!, March 5, 2012
Length:: 0:33 Mins

Unlike past reviews, I do not have any issues with audio. When I received it, I noticed that the seal had been broken and then replaced which suggests to me that they did testing or something on it before repackaging. Great quality and the ease of use is soooo much higher than the GoPro. It really cuts out the whole "Is this thing on?" footage. I also like the laser.

The only complaint I have is that the mounts are expensive. Not a big deal though, as it is pretty easy to make your own. The quality is great; with the right software, cropping individual frames leads to awesome action shots.

I love the sleek design; much better than wearing a toaster (GoPro) on your helmet. I have fallen on it several times at racing speeds and have not had a problem. Great little camera.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great HelmetCam!, December 4, 2011
This review is from: ContourROAM Hands-free HD Camcorder (Camera)
Bought this for use on my off-road motorcycle. Within the first hour or so I caught the camera on a small branch and broke the rotating mount. It's a good thing I had installed the little lanyard or the cam would be lost. The camera itself is great, batteries seem to last forever, operation is as simple as could be, just one switch. My only gripe is the mounts. For the number of people who use these with helmets you would think they would supply a mount that is cable of mounting on the contours of a modern helmet.

1.0 out of 5 stars Little to no sound, October 31, 2011
This review is from: ContourROAM Hands-free HD Camcorder (Camera)
I discovered that mine records little to no sound at all. It turned out that Roam's firmware had a bug. It seems that they still haven't been able to resolve this issue. Roam was my replacement camera for my GoPro, but I'm back to GoPro now.

1.0 out of 5 stars DOA... questionable customer service/aftercare, January 30, 2012
J. P. Lee "eelhc" (Upstate, New York United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ContourROAM Hands-free HD Camcorder (Camera)
My ContourROAM was DOA with a low recorded audio problem. So I browse through the customer support section on the Contour Website and WHOA!!! From the Contour support site:

"... The second audio issue involves the camera CONSTANLTY recording low audio. This issue is the result of a mechanical problem with the camera's microphone assembly and cannot be corrected in the field. For customers experiencing this issue within the US, please contact Contour Technical Support directly ([...]). Contour Technical Support will make arrangements to get you a NEW camera that does not exhibit this issue and arrange to cover all shipping charges... "

I had to provide the serial number of the camera and they'll be shipping a TESTED replacement on the slow boat from the west coast (~10 day delivery to NY).

Electronics do break and once in a while one gets a bad one. I don't have a problem with that. What gets me torqued:

1. They know about this problem (apparently by serial number) and they have not rolled the stock at retailers with working units. Instead, they let their customers figure this out and have them return the unit at their inconvenience.

2. They are going to ship a unit after they TEST it. So the unit I got (and presumably Amazon stock) was not tested?

What kind of a company ships a product that they know is broken and puts the burden of corrective action on their customers? Do they have any conscience? Pretty sleazy...

ContourROAM Hands-free HD Camcorder