4.0 out of 5 stars It's okay... but not perfect
Published 16 months ago by Justin Opinion

3.0 out of 5 stars gets the job done
product works just like it said, but bunches up your hat and feels bulky, better off just useing the head band strap.
Published on March 15, 2012 by Jeffy76252

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars It's okay... but not perfect, November 28, 2012
This review is from: Contour 3750 Hat Mount for Contour Cameras (Sports)
First off, I'll give Contour the credit for developing a hat mount at all - better than not having one. The mount is designed to have the fabric of your hat between the two halves of the mount. The circular portion of the mount (with the camera rails) goes on the outside of the cap, the 'base' portion on the inside. The fabric provides the tightness required to keep the whole thing in place and stable. Overall, it works as intended. So, if you're looking for a side mount for your fabric hat this will likely fit the need. But there are a couple of points to note:

- Fabric thickness is important. If your hat is made of very thick or super stiff fabric, you are going to have trouble getting this to work with it. Too thin, and the material may not support the mount and camera well enough.

- The adjustment for aiming the camera must be made as the mount is assembled onto the hat. Once in place, there is no way to fine tune or adjust the position. Gear-like teeth on the mounting disk pinch tightly to the fabric and inner portion of the mount and cannot be turned. It may take you several attempts to get it where you want it.

So, I think the mount does what it says it will do - but with some reservations. However, don't be afraid to think outside the box and find other uses for it. For example, I really wanted a mount on my hat bill for POV video, and there is no such mount. I bought the goggle mount (directly from Contour) and drilled holes through it and the bill and fastened it with screws and nuts. So, always consider re-purposing some of these mounts to get what you need! (BTW, the goggle mount has a larger plastic base, which gave me more area to drill holes, which is why I used that one instead of this one for that purpose. It functions exactly the same otherwise.)

3.0 out of 5 stars gets the job done, March 15, 2012

4.0 out of 5 stars Great but tough for wool hats, September 13, 2012
This review is from: Contour 3750 Hat Mount for Contour Cameras (Sports)
This works as advertised but just beware if you wear fitted wool baseball hats. They are a little thicker and its tough to use this with that kind of hat. I got it to work but it was tougher. Otherwise its just as advertised.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, does the job!, May 28, 2012
This review is from: Contour 3750 Hat Mount for Contour Cameras (Sports)
At first I didn't know how this would work. When I got it i realized you squeeze the cap between both pieces, this can be a little annoying to do at first (or with a thick fabric cap) but thats no big deal if you have a couple of minutes to get it on. Other than that nice, solid and doesn't jitter around or anything.

1.0 out of 5 stars Good way to take videos of your hat, November 9, 2012
This review is from: Contour 3750 Hat Mount for Contour Cameras (Sports)
Concept is a bit flawed as the 170 degree FOV captures the hat. I really don't like the "hat in the video" look. I'd consider this a real waste except I can probably Macgyver its use on something else. Also, it's a bit crazy priced at ~$15 for a few cents of plastic. Contour probably loses money on their great cams and makes up the dif on these accessories.

If you want a functional BB cap mount just do a web search. Simple and cheap "bill mount" works GREAT.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really suprised, November 23, 2012
This review is from: Contour 3750 Hat Mount for Contour Cameras (Sports)
I have been disappointed with the Contour mounts so far, but this hat mount was a pleasant suprise. I initially bought it for a 15 mile hike my wife and I were planning. I was trying to decide between the head band mount and this one, and I think I made the right call. I was concerned that this mount was going to be very uncomfortable with it being a piece of hard plastic that fits inside your hat, but what I found was that it's actually not that bad. Wearing the mount and the camera for extended periods did get uncomfortable at times but I found a good medium with taking the camera off the mount and giving my head a rest by taking off the hat or the mount off the hat. By switching that way I increased my comfort level. Considering that I won't be taking hours of video at a time with this mount the problem with comfort is virtually nill.

The mount is easy to set up and getting the right angle is pretty simple as well. I played around with it the night before we took our hike and found out that getting a good angle is easy. I found it is better to have the camera pointed at slight angle towards the ground is best. Also you want to place the camera as far to the front of the hat as you can. I haven't found a spot yet that doesn't get at least a good portion of your hat into the shot, but up front with a slight angle toward the ground I have found has a nice wide angle that only gets a bit of the hat into the shot. I haven't had a problem with my shots.

The one problem I have is the price. Twenty bucks for this mount is ridiculous. It's two pieces of plastic that probably cost a whole dollar from manufacture to my purchasing it. Twelve dollars would still be pricey but I would feel less gouged at that price than a do at twenty dollars. There just isn't much to the dang thing to warrent the price.

With that said the product does work and I have no problems with it. I have a large head so I am not sure if that hurts or helps the comfort level, but I assume what might be good for me may drive someone else crazy, so what may be good for me might not be so great for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than Expected!, August 29, 2012
This review is from: Contour 3750 Hat Mount for Contour Cameras (Sports)
This has been my most used mount now. With little plastic mounts ranging from $20 and up this is one of the more economical ones at less than $16.

I've used it in other ways I came up with too:
- Using velcro as a wrist-strap (for a wrist mount) or attach to anything you can velcro for that matter!
- On a headlight strap for a head-mount.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice idea, poor results., August 15, 2012
Skewbee (Orange County, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Contour 3750 Hat Mount for Contour Cameras (Sports)
Was hoping this would work out, but found it too cumbersome. The backplate is designed to attach from inside your hat, but provides a noticeably bulky fit. Also, do care for hat being in much of the picture. I ended up fabricating a custom harness to fix the camera just above my shoulder.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ball Cap Mount, February 7, 2014
This review is from: Contour 3750 Hat Mount for Contour Cameras (Sports)
As a firearms reviewer (for an outside website), I take a lot of footage, both on and off the range. I found that I needed a good mount for my Contour camera. Though I sometimes use a helmet mount, I wanted one that would be lighter and less cumbersome. This allows me to mount to a ball cap and get some very interesting footage while testing carbines, pistols and shotguns. The shooter's-eye view adds a new dimension to video reviews. As an added benefit, the cap mount allows you to have a handy recording device. Keep one in the car in case you get pulled over (if your state and local laws allow).

3.0 out of 5 stars Not really needed but kind of nice to have, November 4, 2013
This review is from: Contour 3750 Hat Mount for Contour Cameras (Sports)
This mount is labeled for a hat but it is pretty tough trying to get on any of my hats. Once on it does hold firmly and can adjust just not very easily. It also looks a bit weird on your hat. I have had better luck with it on my shirt around the shoulder area then my hat. Like I have said it's not necessary but it is nice to have.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›