Pure Contour Dock for iPod and iPhone with Internet (WiFi) and FM Radio and Video Out
Package Type: Standard PackagingChange
Price:$49.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on December 1, 2011
I just got this in the mail yesterday and decided to set up tonight. First I will say that I already own the original Bose ipod dock. I was intrigued by this because it offered wi-fi/internet radio. I'm listening to it now and I have to say it stacks up pretty well sound wise w/ Bose IF you are listening to your ipod/phone. The quality goes down tremendously with internet radio (The Lounge) and regular FM is even worse (mostly static).

Setup was pretty straight forward ( I did read directions first). Adding the wi-fi password was a little annoying because you have to scroll to do so, but really it's just a one time entry so no big deal. I also had trouble getting The Lounge part to work...it appeared connected to a station but nothing would play. I plugged my iphone in and that worked ok and then after that The Lounge worked fine. As I'm writing this, it stopped playing again. I suppose I'm just having bad luck with the internet channels I am choosing or there may be something wrong with the radio. (I did eventually get it working again although I'm not certain how).

All in all the radio is ok. The tap controls (rather than buttons) are pretty neat and it does look good (less the collapsable rabbit ear traditional antenna). I put 4 stars because there really isn't anything 'wrong' with the system... it does what it claims (less my lounge snafu). I don't think, however, it is worth the high price and I think I will be returning mine. For $289 I'm sure there are comprable items that would be better in quality.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 20, 2013
I was a little reluctant to invest in this radio at first, but boy, am I glad I did! First of all, the system sounds GREAT. Whether or not the volume is low or high, the sound is crisp, and you can clearly hear the high and low ends. The primary reason I bought this is for internet radio. This system uses the Lounge as it's music provider. There are over 20,000 stations available, and the variety of genres is stunning. And the best part is, being a member is FREE. I listen to everything from classical to jazz to blues to rock and roll. I am easily able to tune in to stations all over the world and I've been able to get clear, uninterrupted service. I've also played my Ipod classic on this system and again, the sound is amazing. Set up was a little frustrating at first. For some reason, I couldn't connect to my network initially. After about an hour I had PURE re-send me my confirmation of services, and then everything worked like a charm. Aside from that, I couldn't be happier with this purchase! I highly recommend this for anyone looking for a high quality system at a VERY reasonable price that can perform a multitude of functions.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 23, 2012
I was excited to receive this because it was recommended to me by a friend. I was extremely disappointed to see that the product was previously opened and obviously used by someone else, yet sold to me as new.

Nonetheless, I decided to keep the product. After much fiddling, I was playing music from my ipod touch 4G. Sound is clear and it's loud enough for me. The ipod insert area is weird and feels cheap - like if I do not properly aim the ipod (even with the plastic adapter), I am going to snap off the connector. Even when it is properly inserted, I have to wiggle it a bit to get the player to register that it's connected. When playing, within the first 3 minutes of the first song, the music stopps playing through the speakers for 3-5 seconds, and then resumes (3-5 seconds into the song). Weird, but I can deal with that...

The radio works just fine.

I like the design of the player and it's just an okay item. I'll be looking for another player in the future.
on January 15, 2012
Have had this for a while and for anyone looking...sound is good and plenty of volume. The Internet radio is also a nice touch. My experience:

Pros: esthetics, design, good sound, remote control works well
Cons: not great sound, somewhat awkward interface, touch buttons are temperamental.

I also have a Philips DS8500 iPod dock, I think the sound is better. It is less expensive, but not as many features.
Overall a good product but I think there are better out there.
on October 21, 2013
I received this unit as a temporary replacement for a radio that I had to return. (another brand)
It was purchased by a friend so I could listen to my favorite internet stations during the day,
I am ill and mostly confined to the bed.
When my other radio is returned, I will most likely loose this one back to the friend that purchased it.

This radio is a very modern looking piece of audio equipment.
The sound is good and there are many stations available for your enjoyment. If the desired station is not listed, you can have it added at the Pure site. I radio has good audio without having too much bass and music and the spoken word are projected very nicely. The included remote is easy to use and not overly large or small.

The LCD display is small but it is readable. Finding preset station list is easily done after going to the Pure site and adding the stations that you would like to have in memory. Most of the stations that I listen to were available on the site.
Pandora is not included nor are any other radio apps such as live365, local stations, scanner stations. You can't go into the menu and find Country, State, City and Genre in order to find a particular station either. You have to go to the Pure site and find stations that they currently have listed as available.

I could not find local weather NOAA stations listed either. No scanner radio (police, fire, ambulance) stations seem to be listed either. I am used to the Logitech Squeezebox radio and it is easily navigated to desired stations. The radio that I had been listening to also had the ability to find locals and scanner radios frequencies as well as short wave.

The radio is not as heavy as it looks and sits nicely on a small table. The cabinet has two ports on the bottom to enhance the base frequencies. The included power cord doesn't have the large brick type plug adapter for ac. The power adapter is located at the plug in area of the cord where it goes into the wall and not positioned between the plug and radio.

The radio does have the ability to be plugged into headphones or external amp and speaker system. However, I didn't find it necessary to do so. The radio provides good sound at lower volume as well as louder volumes.

All in all, it is a well built internet radio with FM tuner and RDS for FM and most internet stations.

Many internet stations are broadcast in digital HD format and sound amazingly good. There is no option to select different bit rates for the stream however. You get what Pure sends you.

I have had no problems with it dropping stations. I know all radios can or will drop the stream at times due to internet problems or other causes. It seems to buffer good and hold the stations.
This radio would be good for those who enjoy good music and spoken word broadcast and want a substantial looking piece of equipment sitting by their bed or on a table in the family room or dining area.

It was well worth the price and I believe I will enjoy using it while I am able.

Update on 10/23/2013
After getting into the menu's of the radio, I have discovered features I didn't know were there. You can look up stations, genre, country, bit rate and so on from the radio's menu.
It takes a few pushes of buttons but, it is possible. I added several more stations to my favorite list today and they appear on the lcd display when I search through the stations available.
I didn't find locals however so I am not sure if that is a feature that is somehow possible.
My Logitech shows local stations that are just that. They are in my general vicinity or particular town or area that I reside. I enjoy listening to police, fire, emergency scanner frequencies also and I haven't found a way to do that. Perhaps these frequencies or stations are available and I just have not been able to locate them.
I also found that the power cord is easily unplugged just enough to disconnect the radio, I though the radio had quit working but, after looking it over, I discovered that the plug was not securely plugged into the back of the radio.
I am liking the radio more and more as time goes by. I would not mind having this one to keep but, I am sure the person that purchased it will want it back when my radio is returned after repairs.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 28, 2014
I was hesitant unboxing the radio because it was covered in dust and the seal was broken. When I opened the box many of the plastic bags for accessories were torn, the remote had fingerprints, some parts were scratched, the manual was missing and after powering it up my suspicions were confirmed - it was already programmed with favorite stations. So the unit was used but I decided to test it anyway. Nothing seems to be wrong with it and it is a great radio for less than $100. Setup was easy (even without the missing owner's manual), there is a great selection of stations, it plays music from any computer in my home network and the sound is great as well. Great job Pure, shame on you Amazon.
on November 16, 2013
So far so good. I love it. Compact, sleek design, and fairly easy to use. I am listening to my favourite US, South African, Irish, British, French radio stations - all on this machine.

The only thing that it does not do, that I miss, is stream Spotify, Pandora, LastFM etc... I miss spotify because it has my specific selection of music.
on July 30, 2012
Finally, a wifi internet radio without having to install software on a computer or a need for a connection with a computer to play internet radio.

I listen to all the stations in the world I want with this. It's on for days and days and I'm still waiting for 1 delay or pause in sound.... the buffering on this thing is so good it never happened yet!

I'm extremely happy that it works without having your computer on. If you're like me and you look for a radio to listen to your favorite radio station while you're abroad, this is the one !!!
on May 16, 2014
This Is a stellar piece of equipment suitable for any home office or outdoor event. It is easily portable and it totally BUMPS plus it syncs to my IPod 5 seamlessly and I am now wireless and have a portable remote! GENIUS invention I am in Heaven!!!!
on August 8, 2014
I was looking for something that would get its time from an atomic clock or a WiFi network so my parents wouldn't have to figure out how to set time using tiny buttons, AND that would charge an iPhone. That is strangely kind of a hard thing to find (the iHome units will get their time from your iPhone but only when you dock it). This fit the bill for what I wanted. Almost everyone knows you can use TuneIn radio on a phone to play Internet radio over any bluetooth or docking radio but my parents probably would not so I thought that would be a nice added benefit, and I planned to program some presets for them. Also, they are still happy with their iPhone 4s so don't need a lightning connector. Adapters are easy to come by anyway, even if they upgraded. I read another review from someone saying they received a used unit but I saw no evidence that this was used.

I wanted to like it but I had to send mine back. The screen died before I could register "the lounge." It died the second time I booted it up. The screen was on, I was about to register my code, but by the time I was ready to put the code in, the screen was blank. I thought it had just gone to sleep but no matter what buttons I pressed or how many times I unplugged it, the screen did not come back. It finally came back after the 8th or so reboot (in French this time), after I left it unplugged a long time, but then flickered and died again before I could do much. I was able to get FM going without needing to look at the screen and the arrow up button let it find a station. So I can say that sound was very good. It did not easily find distant FM stations but I hadn't fully extended the antenna either.

Positives: Sounds really good. Deep bass. Gets the time from the network. 30 pin dock for iPhone 4.
Negatives: The screen died after two days. The buttons on top didn't always register when I touched them. Had to keep touching. Would be hard for my parents to figure out. Not a touch screen--you have to scroll through menu items with arrow buttons on the unit or on the remote. This thing is GIGANTIC--the biggest table radio I've seen. Unless the arrow keys do it, there was no volume control on the remote. No hard preset buttons. Not sure how you toggle through presets but it wasn't anything as easy as pushing presets on the unit. (I don't know why nobody but car radio manufacturers can understand that hard button presets are more intuitive than scrolling through screens and menus.)

It looks like it a lot of engineering time went into it and when iPhone 4s were in style, I'm sure it was really something and worth the original price of several hundred dollars. I really wanted to like it. I just couldn't get the screen to stay on long enough to get it to work. And the difficulty in getting the buttons on the unit to respond, the gigantic size, and the screen failure two days in made me send it back. Got an iHome idl95 with lightning connector instead. Found a great price at a warehouse store.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations