4.0 out of 5 stars Nice for the Price if on sale.
Published on December 5, 2012 by Mountain Bike Mike

1.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE CONTOUR IS OUT OF BUSINESS!!
Published 17 months ago by April

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice for the Price if on sale., December 5, 2012
This review is from: ContourROAM Waterproof HD 1080P Hands-free HD Camcorder Watersport Kit (Electronics)
This is a good camera for the price I paid, I got it on sale and so far I am pleased with the camera's performance. I would have given a five star rating if the camera came with better instructions. The printed material that came with the camera is sparse at best although the camera is easy to operate I had to learn some things the hard way. For example, I purchased a helmet mount bracket for mountain biking. The camera slides into the bracket via the grooves along either side of the camera (so the camera is lying on its side.)

Going for my first ride the camera worked very well however the film was sideways and I was unable to rotate the movie and ended up deleting it. The camera has a lens that rotates but there were no instructions regarding this feature and how to use it. On my next ride I rotated the lens and my film came out very nice.
Another example of poor instruction is the use of the waterproof case. Although the case works very well I had a difficult time mounting the camera and case to my helmet mount. After much consternation I finally located the small black plastic lock tabs that were preventing mounting. Had there been adequate instruction I would have been much happier.

In the minimal instructions provided there is information about downloading Storyteller" a program for uploading video etc. Storyteller takes a lot of time to upload your video. Additionally, in Storyteller is where you can make adjustments to your camera such as 720, 960 or 1080 filming and sound sensitivity. There was no information provided with the camera that explained this feature in Storyteller, I found it by looking around within the download. Camera does not come with any SD card, you need a micro SD card, shop around I found a micro SDHC (High Capacity) chip at a big box store that was 32GB for $24.99.

Otherwise I am delighted at the performance of the camera the waterproof case was put to the test in recent heavy rain and rough trail uses. The only drawback for the waterproof case is that it dampens the sound pick-up. The camera comes set with a 720 HD default and the pictures are very good. The 720 setting provides the longest film time and least battery depletion. The 720 is so good I do not have a need for anything higher for the way I use the camera. The only other issue I have found is that there is considerable sound distortion in high winds or at high speeds (high wind). I realize this is an issue with all cameras I have encountered especially in outdoor sporting activities.

My first trail ride was 46 minutes and the camera battery was fine for the entire time. I charged the battery after that ride and it took only about a half an hour. The camera charges via a USB plug. I recommend the camera if you can catch it on sale, the instruction provided is lacking but the camera appears sturdy, well-built and delivers very good video. The helmet mount is an extra that costs about 15 dollars.

5.0 out of 5 stars 720P 60 FPS with Contour Roam possible! Install Roam2 Firmware on your Roam1, April 28, 2013
Hey friends,

I found a way to install the Roam2 Firmware to the Roam1. Now you have all Roam2 features on the old Roam1

This is how it works:

Go to the contour homepage and download the current Contour2 Firmware V2.16

Download Firmware V2.16 -> you get the file "ContourRoam2.bin"

Rename the file to "ContourRoam.bin"

Plug the ContourROAM1 camera into your computer using a USB cable. Check to see that the Record slider is not in the forward (or ON) position. Once connected, the Battery LED on the ContourROAM1 will turn red and the camera will appear as an external USB device on your computer.

On your computer, navigate to the camera which is mounted as an external storage device.

Copy the ContourROAM.bin file that you downloaded and renamed in Step 2 to the camera's microSD card. Do not put it in any subfolders on the camera's microSD card.

On the microSD card of the camera will be a file called FW_RTC.txt. The file may be hidden and you may need to enable the ability to view hidden files in your computer's settings. Open the FW_RTC.txt file with a text editor application.

Near the top of the file is a line of text that reads `UPDATE_FW:N'. Change the `N' to a `Y' so it appears as `UPDATE_FW:Y' and save the file. This will instruct your camera to update the firmware when it next starts up.

Unplug the camera from your computer.

Press and release the Status Button. The camera will beep and the Memory and Battery LEDs will flash while the update is in progress. When the update is completed the camera will beep again and turn off.

That's it, now you have all Roam2 functions on your Roam1 including 720p with 60 FPS.

If you want, open the StoryTeller App on your PC and check if a Contour Roam2 will be recognized under "Devices".

Check some vids under youtube, username "budschidau". Have fun!

1.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE CONTOUR IS OUT OF BUSINESS!!, August 9, 2013
I purchased this camera on June 10th 2013 and it was defective out of the brand new box. I contacted this seller and got no response so I contacted Contour. They replied same day and said they would replace it. I had to pay the shipping back to Contour but I had no other choice. As soon as I shipped it off, I never heard another word from Contour. After repeated attempts at contacting Contour through their Web Site, I decided to try their Facebook page. This is where I learned that they went out of business. Not sure what happens next for me but I hope I can save a few people the headache of A. Buying a Contour Product and B. Buying from PhotoAmerica.

4.0 out of 5 stars CONTOUR GONE - Price now 2x more, and no support.., June 3, 2013
Terry Y. (Chesapeake, VA, US) - See all my reviews
I have 4 of these, and each was a little over $100, which was a bargain even for an older camera (2011).

For simple point-and-shoot they're nice.

Picture quality is OK if a bit pixelated sometimes and lighting response seems unpredictable.

HOWEVER.. Contour closed its doors last summer, and now these are almost $100 each more expensive..

I would DEFINITELY NOT BUY THEM AT THIS PRICE, there's not going to be support anymore, and a few people had reported items which arrived defective.

I'd personally spend a bit more and get a supported camera like a GoPro, or if you HAVE to have a Contour, look at the newer ROAM2 model which is now around the same price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for the price, comparable to the gopro models, April 19, 2013
I was torn between the GoPro and the contour but the price was about 200 different for the hero2 and hero packages so i decided to try contour out. It placed good reviews on Gizmodo and a few other sites. I originally bought it to record motorcross and such but I plan on using it much more in depth.

Pros:
I like the way it mounts better than a gopro. The profile is more user friendly for me. My friend has a GoPro and it seems like it takes more effort clearing certain mounts (mainly shorter neck suctions and dash mounts).

Simple easy to use one button record and off combined

Alignment laser

built in battery, more convenient

snug waterproof case (if you bought it) and it has a handy transport case that fit the camera and a couple wires (mainly the USB plug for charging and PC connect)

some accessories for mounting

clears short neck mounts

lens rotates for multiple positioning/mounting up to 180 degrees

Cons:
The sound quality is not noticably better than the GoPro

Depends on the car but I tried sporty cars on a Z and a Maserati GranTurismo S - I mounted it on the inside back windshield. On sunny days, it will focus on the cabin and wash out the outside so all you see outside of the windows is glare. Mounting it sloser to the window/windshield is much better and quality is good.

Roam models need to have PC access to change modes

If you want remote control then you need the GPS and bluetooth models

GoPro has more mounting options in the kit so you don't have to buy extra but depends on what you are into, it could be aplus or minus. I knew what I wanted so I found it better and cheaper to buy the mounts I wanted.

Changing the settings to HD 1080P at 25 FPS will diminish your overall view angle but 720P HD is fine

does not come with 32gb card but you can easily find a good price online from amazon or ebay.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I haven't found issues with the software you load from the company site even though some people expressed there was and I have PCs with both windows 7 to XP. Didn't try on windows 8 yet. All together I got the waterproof case, extra dash friction mount and window suction cup mount with the roam and 32gb card still for about 200 less than a Hero 2. Not bad for a novice model but it seems well built enough and has good features. Simple without being cheaped on performance. It's a good bang for the buck in my opinion. In hindsight, I might have gotten the GPS or bluetooth model for the convenience of remote recording, etc but I honestly didn't need all the other craziness that came with those models. I wish they just offered remote on this model without the connectivity bells and whistles but overall I'm good with this. We'll see if any other quirks pop up asides from the washout issue.

5.0 out of 5 stars You don't need to spend $300 if you don't want to, July 31, 2013
Overall, this video camera is an exceptional deal for the price. I paid $110 for this shipped right to my door. That included did not include the micro SD card, but no camera comes with one of those.

If you're looking for a nice 1080P action video camera without a bunch of bells and whistles, this one is for you. This is last year's ROAM model. You have to plug it into a computer to make any adjustments (i.e. video quality, microphone sensitivity, etc.). And there is no app for it that let's you see the camera lens view on your smart phone.

All of that being said, it is still a waterproof, shockproof 1080P HD video camera that accepts a 32gb card and has a rechargeable battery that lasts at least 4 hours (about double that of a Go Pro). The lower profile is also nice feature. The lens is also rotatable 270 degrees...so you can mount the camera right side up, on either side, or even upside down. Whatever works for what you are trying to mount it to. Then you just turn the front lens to file the image from the correct "right side up" perspective. The aiming and leveling laser works great too.

The only real downside is that it is about twice as heavy as a Go Pro. This doesn't matter at all when hearing it on a motorcycle helmet, but it makes a difference if you're planning on wearing it on a headband or baseball cap most of the time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better Than The Square Unit, April 28, 2013
Be sure to download Story Teller for the latest firmware updates which of course it checks if you have the newest editions, no guessing. This came with nice waterproof housing which also has the standard 1/4 x 20 camera tapping so you can use a your digital or film cameras tri-pod as well. The camera itself has the same tapping. Handy feature! You can make your own mount anywhere on anything. I am going to make a Stainless Steel mount on the hard-top of my boat using a floor flange and small piece of stainless all-thread rod and a couple of lock nuts..Bam! Done! under 20 bucks for a mount, and I have a set up to record the fishing events on the rear deck of the boat for under $150.00 with a 170 degree view of crystal clear 1080p action packed video.
I won't be using it for a hand-held video camera, so no need for a rear screen. Simple press of a button shoots out a powerful flat (horizontal) red laser beam (not a dot) displaying your viewing angle.
I like the Square Cameras commercials, but IMO this camera is better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product overall.., March 13, 2013
The video quality could be better, but this camera is great and works better than a go pro. The cylinder like design is great and aerodynamic. It is a breeze to use and very compatible with all the different mounts Contour offers.

2.0 out of 5 stars Crippled by the storyteller software, March 25, 2013
This camera has to have the storyteller software. You have to use the software to change the camera's settings. They have changed the firmware to make it harder to change settings by simple text/line editing (although this is an option if your camera has the older firmware). Unfortunately the software has many bugs. It will not work on older Macs. And it has problems on x64 versions of windows 7. Some machines will work, but others do not. Out of several machines it seems best on an older Win XP machine. It works on a win 7 x86 machine but still has bugs like locking up while downloading videos. I do not have a newer Mac to try. Support has been very weak. Mostly they say to reinstall quicktime and the storyteller, but they do admit a problem with win 7 x64. The storyteller software crashes while trying to start up( It states there is an error with the movie player). I still can simply copy the videos off the SD card with out issue using regular file transfer. I just can not change the settings without going to my office and connecting to the older PC.

As for the camera, the build quality seems good. I do like the form factor over some other action cameras. Video quality is above average but gets dark even if it is just cloudy out side. The camera does best if you are moving at slower speeds. Moving quickly like driving or boating can really degrade the picture. I am ok with the picture quality and recommend looking at videos on contour's website instead of youtube because many of the youtube videos seemed to be compressed and were not as good as the results I got. Mounts for this camera seem more expensive than for other cameras.

However, I can not recommend this camera to windows users. The software is the only official way to adjust settings like frames per sec, 720/1020 res, audio settings and more. If the software does not work,you can still make and record videos but only at the default settings. Also, you can not upgrade the firmware. The storyteller software seems to have only one version for all of the different models of cameras and so I will stay away from Contour in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm glad this came out to challenge GoPro, May 13, 2013
I don't like the GoPro's dimension and shape. It doesn't fit my style. They are identical in performace but the only thing you can complain about this is that mounts and accessories aren't as many as GoPro's. But I already got the mounts I need, so no complains there. Plus, this is built to be much tougher than GoPro. and is waterproof to a certain depth even without a waterproof case... GoPro can't do that.