2,126
Style Name: Light SwitchChange
Price:$41.50 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on November 1, 2013
Style Name: Light SwitchVerified Purchase
I bought 4 of these light switches about a month after they were released. I had been adding motion detector lights, dusk-to-dawn lights, etc., to both improve energy efficiency and safety in my house. My purchase was designed to move further toward both of these issues, along with a new Kwikset lock and some security cameras.

Installation was relatively simple, even for someone who is not an electrician. As long as you have the proper wires and follow instructions, as other reviewers have mentioned, installation should not be too difficult (check before ordering though). Connecting to the WiFi was also not difficult for me. I have a Linksys router in the basement with a Linksys range extender upstairs and WeMo did not have any problems connecting when I followed instructions. The initial firmware update took quite a long time and the initial iPhone app version that I downloaded was *very* slow to detect the switches each time I loaded the app, but they seem to have fixed the latter issue.

Once it was all setup, I LOVED it. I used IFTTT to automatically make sure lights were turned off at night and on in the morning, among other things. I really like the look of them and changed out many of my fan switches and other switches to the decorator-style to make it look even nicer. Really, really like the look of them, although I could see it not fitting as well in certain instances (I am definitely not an interior decorator). I do wish that these would work with 3-way lights (where you have two light switches that control the same light) or as dimmers, but unfortunately they don't.

Here's the problem: two days ago, the power to the router went out for about 30 seconds, then turned back on. The internet and WiFi loaded fine and all of my devices worked fine - except two of the 4 light switches could no longer connect to WiFi! They would both just blink orange non-stop. I tried all of their support instructions on their website, which was minimal, and included resetting and restarting the device. Of course, now one of the switches started blinking green and I could no longer even turn the lights on manually. So I caved and called their support number (difficult to find, but calling the corporate headquarters 800-number routed me to support).

Here is where it got really frustrating because, among other things, the person on the line spoke very poor English. It took about 35 minutes to get through the initial questions around model number, what lights were blinking, when I purchased the product, etc. In between each question, she would tell me to "hold on a second" and mute her line, before often (at least 10 times, no exaggeration) returning and asking me a question I had already answered. Multiple times, she forgot to mute her line and I heard her joking with her friends. But, OK, I only hold Belkin partially accountable for that. After over an hour, and having me try everything I already tried, she finally said she would send me a new one. For now, I have two switches that cannot connect to WiFi and one that cannot even turn the lights on.

It is simply not worth all of this hassle just to be able to remotely turn some lights on and off. To make it worse: they only provide (poor) customer service for free for 90 days! After that, you have to pay to talk to someone. Luckily (unluckily?), mine broke after 60 days so I could get someone on the phone.

I really wanted to like the product, and I would have if there was some quality control or better customer support, but unfortunately for me it didn't work out.
4747 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 3, 2013
Style Name: Light Switch
Installed the Wemo Light Switch easily enough. As other reviewers have stated, a neutral wire is required. Also, the size of the front of the switch is the same as your regular Leviton switches, so if you are replacing one of those your face plates (including a double face plate for 2 different switches which is what I have), it will fit. The rear of the switch, is definitely bigger than the rear of a normal light switch so it does make a tight fit inside the wall box. Overall, I think it is a decent device but Belkin has some updating to do, per the rest of my review.

Pluses:
* Design looks good
* When light switch is on, there is small power light to show it is "on"
* Once it is connected to your network, the remote access via the App is a nice feature

Cons:
* When connecting to your wi-fi router, you cannot have any special characters (like: !?*&) or any spaces, in your typically already set up router password; Example: your password cannot be "john doe" and instead has to be "johndoe" without a space. If you have these, it will not connect to your router!!! Belkin needs a firmware / App update to fix this ASAP.
* When you are loading a rule to your Wemo Switch, let the App completely finish before doing anything. This means waiting...don't try and rush anything because you can bork your device. My first Wemo light switch died because of this (after just 1 day of use!), as I tried to change its name from "Wemo Light Switch" to something like "Porch Light" and it did not load right, and killed the switch where I could not access it at all from the App (after 4 + hours of troubleshooting, resetting, restarting, re-installing the App, etc.); ultimately I had to just replace it with a new Wemo light switch that is working for now.
* Timer based rules do not always work; Example - I tried to create a rule where the switch turns on at 8:30 p.m. and turns off at 2:30 a.m. Saved the rule and the rule loaded to the device. After saving, etc., the rule mistakenly says to turn off at 2:30 p.m. = it got the a.m. and p.m. reversed for the turn off setting. Tried this several times and it would not save correctly, no matter what. Instead I am just using the "sunset" to "sunrise" settings which did save correctly. Again, a future firmware update should fix this.
* On Android, the WeMo App is slow, very slow (even if on a strong wi-fi or on a strong LTE signal which I have). The Android WeMo "Beta" App has the same exact functionality, but it is a little bit faster. So if you are on Android, use the "Beta" App.
* Belkin needs to allow a computer browser interface, not just by an IOS or Android App. I am comparing this to my Nest thermostat, which does have a computer browser interface plus an App, and is generally a much more polished device.

Conclusion - for now it's just a decent device. Even though it is not the first in the Wemo line, I would consider it a first generation device. I would rate it 2.5 stars for now, and if my second switch does not fail then maybe 3.5 stars. If Belkin improves firmware and the App, then it has the potential to be a 4+ star device but it is not there yet.

See, [...] for a Wemo community forum where you can see a wide variety of issues for troubleshooting this and other Wemo devices.
3535 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
HALL OF FAMETOP 50 REVIEWERon September 9, 2013
Style Name: Switch + MotionVerified Purchase
I am a little bit obsessed with the WeMo world. I have a ton of them in my house, on most lights, and a few of the motion sensors. I could go through the technical specs of the device, but others have done that. I'd rather give you an example of why it is useful to me, and how I use it. I have my kit and other WeMo switches set to:

Turn one living room light on from "dusk" (definable in the iPhone/Android app) until 10:30 p.m.
From 10:30 to 11, a different light stays on
From 11 through "sunrise" if I walk out of the bedroom door, and the motion sensor senses me, it turns on two lights in the living room
If motion is detected from 10:30 p.m. through Sunrise at my front door, it turns on "ALL OF THE LIGHTS!"

I also use one of these in the winter to turn on my Christmas lights (they plug in indoors), my Christmas tree at night, and other Christmas lights on by motion if I'm around.

The kit is incredibly flexible, and once you get one set up and on your wifi, it can be controlled while you are AWAY FROM HOME! The best part.

You can drive up to your house and turn the lights on before you go inside!

That all being said, I did have a couple of them be a little difficult to get on the wifi the first time. As soon as you connect them, they want to update their firmware/software. Once that's done, they work great. Be patient if you have a little difficulty on the first go, it will work and then be 100% reliable after that.

I hope this has helped you understand how and why to use the device and how it might help you.

UPDATE:

There is now a newer or different model of the wemo outlet control that can also track energy consumption. It is smaller overall, and has a touch sensor for the wifi. If you think you might be interested in that, you can find it here: Belkin WeMo Insight Switch, Control Your Electronics and Monitor Energy Usage From Anywhere with the Home Automation App for Smartphones and Tablets, Wi-Fi Enabled
3636 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 10, 2013
Style Name: Light SwitchVerified Purchase
I needed a switch that would control my outdoor porch and landscaping lights which are operated by two separate switches inside the house. Specifically, I wanted the lights to come on at dusk, but only stay on for a set number of hours. In theory, this device will do that. It tracks the time of dawn/dusk in your area via it's internet connection and will adjust accordingly. Thus I bought two of these switches. Like many in this category (programmable switches) the switch itself is a bulky device and, while the installation was fairly straight forward in terms of wiring etc, it took a significant amount of time getting the two switches to fit into the box with all of the other wiring and the two other switches that were there (it's a "4 gang" box).

Once installed, the two switches were found quickly by my Android phone and initial setup was straight forward, per the instructions. It took a few resets that were not expected, but overall setup was about 20 min. Both switches worked as expected the first day. The next day, the first time I opened the WEMO app on my phone, I was notified that a firmware update was needed for the switches (not any update to the app). I did not do it right off the bat, but soon realized that this firmware update screen was going to be there each and every time I opened the app until the update had been done. With electronic devices, a firmware update is not an unreasonable or unexpected eventuality, so I went ahead with it.

Both devices failed after the "update." The lights would only flicker on then off if the switch was manually pressed and neither could not be actuated via the app (if the app could even see the switches, which, at this point, was intermittent). In addition, every three to five minutes, the lights the switches were connected to would spontaneously "flicker" on for a second then go off. I tried all of the restarting/resetting options on the Belkin website (none made any difference) and cycled the power at the breaker box. . .all to no avail.

I was leaving town, so I switched the power off at the breaker for two days (to prevent the lights from intermittently flickering day and night while we were gone). When I turned the power back on upon our return, both switches reverted to normal function and would work by either manually pressing the switches or by using the Android app. Approximately two to three hours later though (and without any further intervention from me), I noticed that the lights were off when they should have been on), but flickering again. . .same problem as before. I repeated this cycle of cutting the power at the breaker box for two days and had the same results when powered back on.

The support experience with Belkin was an abysmal and highly frustrating few hours of my life. Suffice it to say that the website where the "premium support" phone number is supposed to be listed was a broken link. I finally found a different number (through an obscure link on the site). I was able to reach a person but, after 10 minutes of them "verifying my phone number" etc, I was told they don't handle the WEMO devices (despite the fact that the page that had the number I was calling had pictures of all of the wemo devices on it). The person actually gave me a different number to call (instead of transferring me) and told me I'd have to call that number and queue up again. I called that number, using the options he told me and got only a loud tone (no answer, no recording, no human). I tried several times, all with the same result and even stayed on the line for several minutes to see if anything would happen (nothing did). I called the number back and tried different options, this resulted in me being hung up on by the surly woman who answered the phone. I finally called back one last time and actually got the first guy I had spoken to again. I told him what had happened since I had spoken to him last. At this point, he kind of switched gears and began trying to be helpful to me. However, the end of the story is that, as best they could tell, the firmware update had ruined my devices. The technician actually suggested that I only do firmware updates via a hardwire and not using wifi. . .though this is common sense, this is a ridiculous assertion with this particular product as it is a light switch with no traditional input/output options for connection to a computer or router such as USB, LAN, etc. They'd send me replacements, but I WOULD still have to call the WEMO people, go through all of this again, then receive new devices and physically reinstall them. And, for what? To have another firmware update ruin those devices? Not to mention the fact that the number to the WEMO folks results in a loud tone with no human answering. No thanks. I cut my losses and returned the devices.

If and when these devices (or devices such as these) fully mature and they are able to function as advertised, they will be a truly great home automation device. These belkin light switches are NOT ready for prime time. And, for my part, I'll be looking to a different manufacturer for any future such products as Belkin, in my experience, are willing to push inferior products to the market and are ENTIRELY unable to support them.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 15, 2013
Style Name: Switch + MotionVerified Purchase
I purchased the Motion and Switch to control some lighting in my house. Conceptually, it's a great product. The setup should be so easy. However, it's not.

Setup is via an iOS app. You install the app, plug in the device, connect to the newly created WIFI network, and launch the app. Sounds easy. Except the app is very buggy on IOS 7 and wouldn't reliably fine the devices. Moving to IOS 6 fixed this.

OK, all setup. I can see the devices in the app. The app is super easy to use. It shows the devices and status. Kinda cool to hit the on/off button on the switch and the light clicks on without any delays. There's a wizard to help with the rules. Seems great.

But the motion sensor isn't firing the rules. It's sensing motion as indicated by the blue light on the motion sensor, but never reported back to the app or the switch. I try all of the debugging options, listed below. No luck.

So I call support. Level 1 support takes my info and says I should get a call in an hour or so. 3 hours later, I call back and have to provide all of my contact info and explain the issues again. I should get a call in an hour or so. 3 hours later repeat. I ask for a manager and than I'm escalated to a level 2 support person who asks again for everything. No solution. I'm told that level 3 support should be able to contact me, however only during business hours--when I'm at work.

Such a brilliant concept. But far far too buggy. This is an end user device and has to just work. Like a light switch (which is one of their products). But it's more like a very slick Proof of Concept.

----

They are both on my WIFI and I can see them on my

- IOS 6.1.3 / Touch App Version 1.2.2 (11792)
- IOS 5.1.1 / iPad 1 WIFI App Version 1.2.2 (11792)
- IOS 7.0.2 / iPad 3 WIFI App Version 1.2.2 (11792)

- Motion FW: 2.002769.PVT 96% WIFI G signal strength
- Switch FW 2.002769.PVT 92% WIFI G signal strength

The Switch performs fine. Using the app I can turn the switch on /off and the same for using the devices button.

The motion is visible on the app. The motion sensor turns blue with movement as expected, but the iOS app is always reporting "No Motion". Rules of course don't work.

Debugging so far:

1) rebooted IOS app

2) Unplugged both Switch and Sensor multiple times

3) Did a restore of the Sensor using the restore button

4) Did a reset of the Sensor using the IOS App reset function

5) Reinstalled IOS app

6) Changed the motion detection rule "If Motion than Turn On/Off with motion + X minutes at 12:01am-11:59pm" where X was immediate, 1 minute, 15 minutes

7) Disabled / enabled remote access

8) Deleted and replaced rule

9) Rebooted router

10) Used a different router

11) Called support and was told to expect a response in 1/2-1 hour. 3 hours later no call. I called again and was told 48 business hours. Huh?

------------------------
Regarding phone support, it's need to be improved:

- 48H response time for a device that will be in the house isn't terribly useful for someone who has a job

- asking for the email address, but not sending the support # via email isn't very customer friendly.

- The 2nd time that I called it was clear that the level 1 support had no notes from the first call to level 1 support.

- The 3nd time that I called it was clear that the level 1 support still had no notes from the prior calls to level 1 support. I asked for a manager and was than provided level 2 support.

- Level 2 support has no notes from the prior calls either.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 16, 2014
Style Name: Light SwitchVerified Purchase
Awesome Product ! works so well and looks really clean. I actually installed two of the light switches in a 2 gang outlet I attached a pic. To do this you kinda need to be handy and have a good idea on how electrical works. I am no electrician and was able to figure it out. I have used Belkin Products for years they have great quality control and the product shows !! I wish that they allowed dimming but you cant have it all I guess
review image
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 19, 2014
Style Name: Insight SwitchVerified Purchase
I bought the WEMO Insight about a month ago, installed it (it took a few minutes for the device to be recognized by my router) , and made a few power measurements with it. This was fun and informative. The list of features is impressive, since you can use it as a timer, a rule-based controller, a device to alert you when something happens to the power system, for power measurements, and more.
What is problematic with the device is its frequent lock ups and inability to be recognized by my wireless router (one of the latest Netgear products) when further away than 20 feet (on the same floor of the building), while my laptops work flawlessly off the Wifi network in the whole house. A few weeks ago I came home to see the devices powered by the WEMO switched off with no warning on my WEMO app. What if it had been my refrigerator or some other vital appliance? This, and the too frequent 'software updates' that take minutes to complete make the WEMO almost useless, because I bet if you really need it, say in a remote location you want to control and/or monitor, it will freeze up and will need some sort of hardware reset. It is unfortunate that green energy enthusiasts who want to do something intelligent and useful with a device like this get frustrated by a device that needs endless troubleshooting and coaching just to work as expected. Nobody would buy a refrigerator that shuts down every two weeks and needs some procedure to get going again, but apparently in the high-tech world we are expected to spend our free time tinkering with all sorts of half baked pseudo solutions.
In conclusion, I think the WEMO Insight is a nice idea that suffers from bad execution.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 11, 2014
Style Name: Insight Switch
I rated the WeMo Insight switch a 2-star. But depending on how you intend to use it, it could deserve anywhere from 1 to 5 stars in my opinion. I bought mine from Best Buy in Jan 2014. For reference, after installation the WeMo app indicated version 1.4.1(20001) and the firmware downloaded to the device indicated version WeMo_WW_2.00.3668.PVT.

My purpose for buying the switch was to see if I could remotely switch off (and then back on) my Hunter Pro-C sprinkler system after periods of excessive rainfall. For context, when the sprinkler system is disconnected from AC power, it has non-volatile memory for retaining the watering program and a back-up battery that powers the internal clock. So in principle I should be able to bypass the watering program using the switch to disconnect from AC power during the scheduled watering period.

I had no problem setting the device up in the garage, where the sprinkler control panel was. I tested switching on and off a number of times right after setup and it worked fine. However several hours later I experienced a brief interruption in internet service (ATT Uverse), and that is when I started to realize that this device may not be suitable for the purpose that I had hoped to use it for.

After much testing all over the house, and over several days, I found there are two seemingly unrelated potential reliability issues with this device, and I will try to describe the behavior of each of these so that the reader can judge the potential utility of the device for their own intended use.

Problem 1: If there was a temporary break in AC power to the socket the device was plugged into, or a temporary break in WIFI internet service, the device did reliably reconnect to the internet service. However, after connection, the switch was ALWAYS rendered in the "off" state, regardless of the state it was in before loss of power or internet service. This may be a desirable "feature", or an undesirable one, depending on what you are controlling. In my case it was undesirable - any break in internet service would put my sprinkler system in the off mode, draining my backup battery and possibly skipping a watering program that I would not want skipped. So in situations where one cannot reliably count on internet or power, this behavior should be considered.

Problem 2: As frequently as every several hours the WeMo app would indicate in the "devices" screen that the switch could not be detected. I would then physically check on the switch and notice that it seemed to be functioning properly and was in the desired "on" state. Then, after waiting some random amount of time, up to an hour or two, the WeMo app would suddenly show the device as active. I am not sure whether this is a problem on Belkin server side, but it didn't seem to be related to problem 1 that I described above, because in problem 1, a forced disconnection in power or internet service ALWAYS resulted in the switch being turned to the "off" state. Now here is the more perverse aspect of this problem 2 - when the WeMo app found the device after losing it, the app ALWAYS shows the device in the "off" state, even if the device is actually in the "on" state!! So there is a synchronization issue. To be confident that the app is displaying the actual state of the switch, one must toggle the state icon in the app once or twice to resync the app and the device. Yikes! This would seem to be a serious bug.

Now maybe neither of the two problems above would be show stoppers if all one is doing is toggling lights on and off to conserve energy or for home security reasons. But they may be killers for applications where the consequences are large for not knowing if the device is in the desired state or not. So for my mission critical application, this device and companion app won't do. Hence my 2 star rating.

As for problem 1, I think Belkin should, if possible, allow the user to customize the "recovery from failure" behavior of the device to either always fall into the "off" state, the "on" state, or to "revert" to the state before failure. Problem 2 appears to be a bug, and should be corrected.

Hope this is helpful!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 9, 2013
Style Name: Light SwitchVerified Purchase
The first Belkin switch set up easily, and other than the 10 minute firm wear update and having to reset the router, I was impressed with the set-up process.
The second one was a different story. It could never locate both switches. Following the less-than-specific troubleshooting instructions on the Belkin site I reloaded the App. That erased the first switch and forced a reboot of the router again.
Finally the second switch was installed, but the first was MIA. Went thorough the set-up process for the first switch, finally installed it and the second switch disappeared.

UPDATE 12-23-2013:
Belkin support has confirmed that the WeMo devices can only be used on a single wireless network. That means you cannot have devices at work and at home, or at both a main and second home, and control them with a single mobile device.
Belkin support wrote: We can only use the WeMo app to manage multiple WeMo devices if these WeMo devices are connected to the same wireless network. If you want to manage multiple networks, you will need a different mobile/tablet to manage each network.
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 24, 2014
Style Name: Insight SwitchVerified Purchase
At first it seemed that these Wi-Fi switches were the solution from my remote-control needs. No!

The concept is very good. However, Belkins execution is poor.

The switch I received was old stock in the new box. I could not get it to do a firmware upgrade.

The switch would not connect to my brand new Asus RT-N66U router reliably. I got a successful connect for 1 of 10 tries.

Not ready for prime time........AVOID my heartache!
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations