5.0 out of 5 stars Easy read; comprehensive action methods to control anxiety
Published on June 24, 2001 by J. Lizzi

3.0 out of 5 stars Great information
I do so love the wealth of information I get from Dr. Ellis' books. However, an entertaining writer he is not. The information in this book is very good but often presented with a very dry delivery and is occasionally repetitive. This would not be a book I simply throw at my clients and ask them to read. They would be asleep in the first 5 pages.

So in summary,...
Published on November 2, 2012 by kubryan

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy read; comprehensive action methods to control anxiety, June 24, 2001
J. Lizzi (Costa Mesa, CA) - See all my reviews
At the time I bought this book, I was unaware of Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy, had never heard of Dr. Albert Ellis, and wasn't really looking to solve any particular anxiety problem of my own. Always a fan of Dale Carnegie's "How to ..." instructional writings, I figured this would be a new perspective on a popular and important subject. What I learned was that Dr. Ellis has extensive experience (since 1943) in psychotherapy and actually devised REBT in 1955. Like Carnegie, he is quite good at putting his research and wisdom into books (more than sixty), and turning this knowledge into useful information for those who might be trying to solve a problem related to emotion and personality.
To me, the most important part of REBT is "Rational," the exercise of thinking through what is causing anxiety, why your beliefs about it are unfounded (i.e., irrational) and unnecessary, and what you can do to convince yourself that anxiety can be lessened, if not eliminated, through a formulaic rational process. Throughout most of this book, Dr. Ellis clearly describes nearly twenty very specific methods for controlling anxiety. This was all new to me, but I found the methods to make total sense, and imagined that almost all of us could find any number of these helpful in addressing specific anxiety scenarios.
The way in which Dr. Ellis sets forth the varying aspects of REBT is impressive. He's easy to read, and almost grandfatherly in his tone. Each method is portrayed first by explanation, then by documenting a real example using one of his psychotherapy patients. The last three chapters contain 231 "Rational Maxims" which sum up the main points of the methods discussed in detail earlier, and are written in the first person for us to recite when REBT enforcement is needed. Good idea! Some might find this book to be a little repetitive (therapy is like that), and thus may be better off with the abridged version. For someone new to REBT, I'm glad Dr. Ellis presented these methods in a comprehensive manner, and I'll always have the Rational Maxims for review on short order.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Changing, May 9, 2009
This review is from: How To Control Your Anxiety Before It Controls You (Paperback)
When I started college I was a complete and utter anxious ship-wreck. I couldn't sleep, think straight, and felt like I was going to lose my mind. Basic daily tasks suddenly became terrifying or anxiety provoking. It was a scary and exhausting time for me.

On the edge, I went to see my school counselor. She recommended I read Ellis's books and his Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy style. I have to admit, I expected very little. Honestly, I felt like she had passed the buck and gave me a book instead of helping me. However, I was desperate and would have tried anything short of an exorcism to feel better. I read his first book, "A new guide to rational living." (I would recommend reading that book before this one, it gives more background. This book is still good, too.) I was astonished. Within a few weeks, I legitimately felt noticeably better. Nearly two years later, I can honestly say his books changed my life and multiple friends and family members who have borrowed my books.

It takes time and won't happen all at once. As Ellis would say, you spent a life time learning how to be anxious, and can't undo that in a day. It took me about a year to get much better, two years to completely change my life, and three to be an entirely new person. I am deeply saddened that Ellis died recently. I would have loved to thank him for completely overhauling my life and making me a much happier, outgoing, and less anxious person. Now, I plan to study abroad in a foreign country. This is something the old me could have never handled.

PS. Dr Ellis is in fact a well respected psychologist. Even the great Beck recognizes his work. Ellis' work is based on his empirical studies with real patients he counseled throughout his long career. His stuff is not Dr.Phil style non-sense like "You're like a shoe with no strings," or the ever classic Dr.Phil statement "get over it!" I hate when people tease psychological books because Dr. Phil (and others like him) poisoned the entire genre. "Those" people are first and foremost entertainers. Dr.Ellis is real, and his work actually helps, but it takes time!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this Book to Control Your Unnecessary Anxiety, April 21, 2008
Albert Ellis is, in my opinion, one of the great minds in psychology of the last 100 years. His name does not come as easily from peoples' mouths when they talk about the greats who have studied and helped solve mind problems for many, many people. You will always hear about Freud, Jung, Rogers et al, but hardly ever about Ellis. This work, as well as his many others, are why he should be among those in that pantheon.

Ellis claims, rightly, that it is not just events that affect how we feel but our reactions to those events. Now, most psychological texts stop there. It has become almost a cliche - it's not what happens to you, but how you react to what happens to you, that makes the difference. Ellis' insight is that when your reaction creates extreme emotions - depression, rage or anxiety - it is because you are holding irrational beliefs, mostly under the category of musts, self-downing, catastrophizing and overgeneralizations, e.g. I must do well on my job interview or I am a total incompetent who will never get a good job and will always be seen as a loser. Hard to believe that this is how we think but put it to the test. Uncovering those irrational beliefs, and replacing them with rational beliefs, is a key to personal emotional liberation and productivity.

Ellis' writing is straightforward and practical. Perhaps the reason he is not as renowned as other therapists is that he doesn't engage in tedious philosophical wanderings about the psyche - he gets right to the point.

I highly recommend this book for anyone who struggles with anxiety. Read it and truly help yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not the same old same old, September 10, 2010
I have read other Albert Ellis books and there are some things that are the same but there are different self talk suggestions for anxiety. The book is set up so that the important ideas and suggestions are easy to find they are numbered and listed together.

I have found that his books are very helpful he speaks of how a person thinks when they make themselves anxious he lays out what you are saying to yourself and what thoughts you need to change to be less anxious. Most other books I have read have case histories where people who used the author's formula and got better, there are some examples of that in this book but Dr. Ellis isn't offering pie in the sky answers he is very practical in his expectations of success.

I used Dr. Ellis' books in conjunction with therapy and found it to be very helpful to change how I see life and I think that is why I am having less problems with depression these days.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book BUT not the answer to anxiety if you have low minerals and vitamins, October 16, 2013
It was a good book with useful information BUT the book only applies if you are a healthy person with some mild issues.
My story in a short note: struggled for the past few years with anxiety/panic attacks/ mild depression.I had no reasons to feel like that; sure we all have stress and past baggage we can blame for our problems but it was more then that. My spiritual journey , the 1000 of self-help books, failure to meditate no matter what, the fake hopes of feeling better, finding something that works only temporarily ALL of it thought me something but I still did not have found myself, did not FEEL myself, it was horrible; the ups and downs ..all my suffering ended when I got my results back from my blood work. Low magnesium, iron, vitamin B12 and vitamin D.
I will never forget the day I took my first magnesium supplement; the relief was amazing. Right the very next day, I felt a calmness I never knew. I am cured!!!!!
Do yourself a favor and look up magnesium deficiency , test your blood before you buy 1000 of books for self help that will only help you solve part of the puzzle.
I will never go another day without magnesium.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great information, November 2, 2012

So in summary, I think the content and the purpose of the book is wonderful. Just a poor presentation.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Remedy for Anxiety, April 12, 2010
This is the single best self-help book I've ever read. Before beginning it, anxiety had crippled me. Why? I had been taught or learned to think irrationally. Ellis' method is nothing more or less than a way of teaching you how to think rationally in a world that encourages us to think irrationally. Ellis gives you a thousand weapons with which to attack the irrationality that creates anxiety and anxiety attacks, and it works, and it works fast. But you have to use it. Thanks to this book and Ellis' REBT theory, I was also led to SMART Recovery, which has a Facebook fan page here [...]
At long last, rational solutions for substance abuse, too, nased on REBT. I recommend anyone experiencing anxiety buy this book immediately and at the expense of any and all others.

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent but not as good as his other books, July 17, 2014
This book has solid information in it and it'll definitely help you control your anxiety. Some of his topics include:
* How psychological rigidity and "demands" may be making you anxious. If you've read any of his other material, this probably won't be news to you - this is more or less the same stuff he talks about in his other books.
* How unconditional self-acceptance and unconditional acceptance of others can help you be less anxious
* Using a variety of skills he presents in his books to help you control your anxiety. I was a little bit surprised that he was able to show how to use operant conditioning to help but he did - that was one of the more surprising skills. (The answer: you can use it to help you confront anxiety-provoking situations, as part of a program of exposure and ritual prevention, etc.) By the way, if you aren't sure what exposure and ritual prevention is, he explains that one in the book too.

A lot of these are actually very helpful.

My only complaint: I've already read his "Guide to Rational Living" and his book on procrastination, so a fair amount of the material in this book wasn't exactly earth-shaking (although I guess some of the exercises were new to me). It's packaged in a way that's good for helping you apply the concepts to anxiety though, even for the ones that aren't new.

I didn't find the maxims in the back of the book all that helpful to be honest. After awhile I just started skimming.

Overall, this book is recommended if you suffer from anxiety. It is helpful. REBT in general has been life-changing for me personally. Truthfully I wish that they taught this stuff in the school system, even to people without a psychiatric diagnosis; it could help people out a lot in their lives.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Changing, May 21, 2009
This book has certainly helped me overcome my anxiety. A must read for anyone suffering with anxiety disorders but do not want to succumb to medications.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Classic, September 3, 2014
Dr. Larry (Kalamazoo, MI) - See all my reviews
This is a classic Albert Ellis tape on how to use Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy the way that Albert Ellis intended.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

How To Control Your Anxiety Before It Controls You
How To Control Your Anxiety Before It Controls You by Albert Ellis (Paperback - August 1, 2000)
$14.95 $10.29