5.0 out of 5 stars Starts meaningful conversations with pleasure and ease
Published on September 5, 2012 by E. White

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
Published 22 months ago by Sylvester

5.0 out of 5 stars Starts meaningful conversations with pleasure and ease, September 5, 2012
This review is from: 101 Conversation Starters for Couples (Paperback)
The premise and format of this book is incredibly simple: it's a collection of questions (101 to be exact) of questions for spouses to get each other talking. No chapter headings. No long pages of text. Just one question per page with an attractive picture in the background. A book like this could easily flop, with tepid, limp, or contrived questions. But in its execution this effort by Chapman is an unalloyed success.

Why does it work so well? Chapman keeps things simple. Each question functions like a catapult, tossing you and your spouse up effortlessly into a gratifying and relationship-opening conversation. Subjects can come up that you've been waiting/wanting/needing to talk about for a long time. But it's effortless and pleasurable -- friendly and open. It seems to be because Chapman maintains a skillful balance between well-focused and open-ended.

So who is this book useful for? Essentially, any couple could benefit from this book. Even if the only fruit is a single rewarding conversation, you'll get your money's worth. So if you want to learn about your spouse's hopes, dreams, past, or fears, without painful or contrived digging, this is a great place to start.

Of course, if your relationship is really struggling, you might need to bring in heavier ammunition. Try The Relationship Rescue Workbook for "boot camp" DIY marriage therapy. For a more long-term, focused approach -- if there are some deep issues -- check out The Couple's Survival Workbook.

Indeed, either of these books might work as a kind of counterpoint to 101 Conversation Starters, providing a more intense way to getting conversations going -- and you could always think of Conversation Starters as the "kinder, gentler" approach.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book despite some religious inclusions, October 5, 2012
This review is from: 101 Conversation Starters for Couples (Paperback)
I got this book for my husband and I to use at the dinner table and on date night. This book is great! This book fosters meaningful conversation and helps build intimacy. There are a variety of questions throughout the book....my only issue with this book is that religion and the Bible are incorporated into it.Examples of this would be "Name the Old Testament event that you wish you could have witnessed. Name the New Testament event (in addition to the resurrection) that you wish you could have witnessed" and "Acts 2:42-47 describes a close, caring community. In what setting have you had the greatest experience of genuine fellowship?". Questions like these aren't relevant to all couples (My husband and I are both atheists) like the other questions/conversation topics present in the book are. Despite the religious incorporation, though, I highly recommend this book!

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, February 1, 2013
I was hoping for a book with interesting questions for long car rides, since we sometimes have difficulty talking about topics that don't revolve around our children or our work. Maybe it's just not designed for couples who have been together for 20+ years & talk all of the time, but I was disappointed with the simplicity of the questions. I only found a handful of questions that we hadn't already discussed by the time we celebrated our 5th anniversary...

1.0 out of 5 stars Admirable Concept, but Content Comes Up Short, December 7, 2013
Kelly S. (Michigan, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 101 Conversation Starters for Couples (Paperback)
"101 Conversation Starters for Couples" is a pocket-size book written, or rather "developed", by Gary Chapman, a bestselling author {"The 5 Love Languages"} and marriage counselor, and Ramon Presson, a clinically certified marriage and family therapist.

It isn't any secret that communication is vital in marriage, especially for really learning about and loving your spouse and, ultimately, deepening the romance and relationship. And continuing to get to know and pursue each other is the purpose of "101 Conversation Starters for Couples". Even the picturesque front cover depicting two adirondack chairs side-by-side overlooking the ocean {or, in my "perfect" moment, Lake Michigan} alludes to intimacy and closeness, while the back cover states, in part:

Your spouse is a fascinating person, a treasure trove of meaningful, humorous, and profound experiences, thoughts, feelings, ideas, memories, hopes, dreams, beliefs and convictions. These 101 questions [...] are to be used as conversation starters for you and your mate. [This book] offers a process to enjoy over dinner, on a date night, or any time you'd like to dig a little deeper.

At first glance, I liked everything about "101 Conversation Starters for Couples": the design, the smaller size, the give-as-a-gift potential, and even the quick thoughts in the opening pages that read, "These questions celebrate the depth and wonderful mystery of your mate. Questions invite disclosure, and disclosure launches discovery. Discovery enriches a marriage and builds intimacy." It sounded great, and, hey, it looked pretty nice, too.

My husband and I read and talked through the questions, ranging from childhood memories and likes/dislikes to future dreams and hypothetical situations, and while there was some conversation, the bulk of the questions, for us, garnered answers little longer than a few sentences. The questions are all admittedly creative and for the most part unique, yet, while both of us did our best to consider each question, and our answers, seriously, we found many of the questions were either too shallow for real conversation starters, even for ourselves who have been married just over a year, or somewhat irrelevant or inapplicable {Can you recall a first date during which you immediately knew there would not be a second date?}.

Though I admire the overall concept and purpose of "101 Conversation Starters for Couples" and had hoped it would meet my expectations, I was disappointed to find that the content comes up short. And while I would not outright discount its potential for helping some other married couple engage in conversation and continue to learn about each other, personally I would not recommend "101 Conversation Starters for Couples" as a resource to "build intimacy".

5.0 out of 5 stars great to learn more after 7 years of marriage, August 21, 2013
This review is from: 101 Conversation Starters for Couples (Paperback)
After 7 years of marriage, I still don't know everything about Big A. Amazing, isn't it, how much we can know about someone but still they have so much to tell us. I thought I would gain some help with getting to know him more with "101 Conversation Starters for Couples" by Gary Chapman and Ramon Presson.

It's really been helpful to ask these questions to learn more about Big A. Some of the questions that we've discussed so far are:

image via Amazon
What are two things that happened today and how did you feel about them? He started off the day with no new emails and felt good about that; then work really picked up around 4:00 and a few people needed a few things at the same time so he was downhearted about that.

If you could hire Martha Stewart for a day, what would you have her do? Buy our groceries with her money.

What nonbiblical historical event would you like to have witnessed? No answer because I asked a really deep question too late at night. LOL

This has just been a fun little thing for us to discuss at the end of the day (as long as I don't wait too long). I've enjoyed these and want to check out the other Conversation Starter books.

1.0 out of 5 stars freakin waste of time, May 23, 2014
This review is from: 101 Conversation Starters for Couples (Paperback)
if you didn't just start dating you partner a month ago, you likely have already had 3/4ths of these conversations...where are your parents from?, what is your favorite type of ice cream?...I mean come on, this is like first date - shallow, nothing else in common yet - conversation starters. Its no real life changer, thats for sure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, January 27, 2014
Have you ever looked around you when you are eating in a restaurant and your eyes rested on a couple who are eating and they are not conversing with each other at all? If you are one of these couples or not, this is a great book! I bought the kindle version and when the conversation starts to wain a bit I pull out my phone and access this book and bring out a couple of questions. At the beginning my husband did not like it but as he would think of the questions, it would bring back memories that he had long ago forgotten. What I really love is how one question can trigger a story and our conversation will last long after we left the restaurant. We have been married for 11 yrs and if you think you know everything about your spouse this is a great book to learn something new about your spouse that you never knew. :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth checking out, February 3, 2014
This review is from: 101 Conversation Starters for Couples (Paperback)
Product is very nicely put together. My biggest disappointment is that a lot of the topics to discuss don't really apply to our lives. However, I do concede that perhaps these would fit better into the majority of people's lives. However, there were a few topics that I could still use and it helped me to think of ways to expand on these to try to start some conversations. I feel this is something worth checking out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Date Night resource!, August 14, 2012
This review is from: 101 Conversation Starters for Couples (Paperback)
I bought a copy of this book for my son and his girlfriend, and a copy for my husband and I to use on our weekly date night. The book is more geared towards married couples, but I thought my son could tweak it to spur quality conversation between he and his girlfriend. Thanks!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, July 3, 2014
If you ever have to stoop to this level of forced conversation in your relationship, you are better off investing the money in a good lawyer. Not worth your hard earned currency, whatever it may be.

101 Conversation Starters for Couples
101 Conversation Starters for Couples by Gary D Chapman (Paperback - April 1, 2012)
$6.99