5.0 out of 5 stars Best book ever
Published on September 14, 2006 by ACR

3.0 out of 5 stars ten conversations you need to have with your children
Although this book title suggests ten separate conversations, I am halfway through the book, and it seems as if it is just generally about using everyday opportunities to get your kids talking and thinking. Still, I find the book enjoyable.
Published on December 23, 2008 by jennifer Davis

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book ever, September 14, 2006
ACR (Atlanta, GA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 10 Conversations You Need to Have with Your Children (Hardcover)
This has been the only book I have ever read that hit a huge cord within me and stayed. The messages and insights will stay with you long after you've put the book down. We have stopped watching TV with our kids during the week and instead talk, play games, go on walks and enjoy each other's company. We have learned to destress our house and focus on happiness. My husband and I have reconnected and our family is happier as a whole. This book, if you allow it to, can teach you miraculous things. Shmuley Boteach is an incredible rabbi, teacher, husband and above all, father. This book is worth 10 times it's price. Thank you Shmuley Boteach!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone should read this book!, January 9, 2007
This is one of the first parenting books I have read that actually came through for me. I have had more conversations with my 5 and 7-year-old children in the past 6 months than ever because I truly know what to say. And I have to say, they are conversing back. If you are looking for a book to teach you how to be a better person-parent, friend, co-worker, etc., this is the book. I think the author sold himself short by including children in the title because I think anyone could gain from reading it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Books for Kids and Adults, May 30, 2006
Evan Ackerman (Boca Raton, FL - USA) - See all my reviews
There are few books that you read that have a lasting impact on your life, thoughts, outlook and can actually change your day to day behaviors.....this is one of those books.

This book is about the conversations you need to have with your children, but parents should heed the wisdom from these pages. For parents to be role models for the younger generation, they can only influence their children's behavior through their own actions. This book outlines the steps to take, using real life examples. Although at first glance it seems easy, it may take 2-3 reads to fully digest the entire book.

I praise Shmuley for another great book. Thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars 10 Conversations You Need to Have with YOur Children, November 5, 2006
Great book for anyone with children! I would highly recommend this. To my husband and I, it was a life changing book, not only in the way we want to raise our children, but in the way we want to live our lives. I plan on reading Shmuley's other books!

4.0 out of 5 stars 10 BOOKS TO GIVE AWAY TO EVERYONE YOU CARE ABOUT, August 14, 2006
I was so struck by this book I could not put it down. I talked to everyone I know about the concepts in the book and have already passed it along to my son who has two children. I need to purchase 2 more now, one for my nail technician and one for me to keep until the next time I give it away.

I would have given it 5 stars if there had been nothing religious contained in it. Every person interested in raising confident well adjusted children, grandchildren should enjoy this book. Its an easy read and a subject close to everyones heart.

5.0 out of 5 stars 10 Conversations you need to have with your children, November 5, 2006
I am a high school teacher, and in my opinion this makes a wonderful gift, particularly for parents of pre-teens and teenagers. Parenting is the most important job a person ever has, and this is a good manual to help you in that job.

4.0 out of 5 stars Improve parenting skills and communication skills, February 13, 2010
The theme of 10 Conversations You Need to Have With Your Children by Shmuley Boteach is to teach your children to find their own way in the world by listening to their own, unique, inner voices. It's a great message for all parents.

Boteach stresses the importance of interaction with your children. He says that everything that happens in life provides an opportunity for conversation, and you shouldn't overlook those opportunities; rather, you should train yourselves to see them.

All parents can learn from Boteach's book that making the investment in children by conversing with them and teaching them their uniqueness will reap rewards. Work on motivating your children to hear their inner voices, and it will inspire them to become better people. Boteach says, "Success is never immediate, and sometimes it's nowhere in evidence, but talking to your kids really works."

Boteach's book also has four great lessons for improving communication skills with everyone you live with or work with. These are Boteach's four lessons:

1. You can control your emotions by controlling your actions. When you force yourself to behave in a certain way, even if you don't feel it, the action creates the emotion.

2. The foundation of every relationship and interaction you have is the "desire to know". Much of Boteach's advice is based on the premise that you have to find ways to be stimulated every day, and your relationships and interactions are a source of stimulation.

3. The world will be a kinder, gentler place if we each honor and exhibit what Boteach identifies as the "feminine qualities" we all have within ourselves, such as peacefulness, tenderness, nurturing, and relationship-building.

4. Show the people around you that you know you make mistakes and that you are seeking forgiveness. Furthermore, you should be willing to forgive those people who are seeking forgiveness from you. Boteach says, "An unforgiving heart is a heavy heart. When you don't forgive someone, you become bitter, and that feeling festers, affecting you more than it affects them. When you forgive, the one you are truly freeing is yourself."

The book has great lessons on parenting skills as well as general communication skills.

[...]
[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books I've read on parenting in a while..., January 2, 2008
I've seen Shmuley on TLC's "Shalom in the Home" and I really like the advice and counsel he gives on the show. When I saw that he also wrote books, I decided to check this one out. I ended up reading this book in one day. I could not put it down.

Shmuley uses situations from his own life raising eight children as well as stories from the people he meets to illustrate the importance of a parent's role in their child's life. He has inspired me to be a better role model for my children, and also inspired me not to be afraid to discuss some of these critical topics with my children. This book has had a HUGE impact on how I look at my role as a parent: not simply as making my kids do what I want, but inspiring them to be the best individuals they can be. To discuss these deeply important topics, like what kind of person they want to be, the importance of dignity and forgiveness, being happy, how to ignite their passion for knowledge... these are critical things we simply are NOT teaching our children, which I believe is the reason why so many children have such a hard time dealing with the challenges of life today.

This book has also helped me see that I can integrate these concepts into my own life to be an inspiration for my children. Many people tend to focus on Shmuley's Jewish beliefs, which he clearly articulates in this book. Come on! He's a Rabbi! Would you expect him NOT to write about them?? I am not Jewish nor Christian. I choose not to label or identify myself with any organized religion. Shmuley writes in the last chapter about the importance of teaching children about God. He gives very compelling reasons why this is important. He also gives examples of how America was founded "Under God," which is true. Shmuley simply states why he believes children need the concept of God, and of course he's going to talk about it from a Jewish perspective. Like I said, he's a Rabbi!! If people take his discussion on God as a condemnation of their own beliefs or some kind of Jewish recruiting ploy, I think they missed the point completely.

This is a wonderful book that will inspire you to be a better person and parent.

5.0 out of 5 stars 10 Conversations You Need to Have with Your Children, December 16, 2009
This is the book. The only one you need. The one you pick up, read a chapter, put down and immediately find ways to include it in your life. Not just for you children but also for you. It just simply reminds you about what is most important in life. Being good. The best line: You can never go wrong when you do the right thing. It is the stuff of life. It is a great book to read, think about and spark a conversation with your spouse, friend, mother, father, sibling whomever and most importantly your children. I started reading this book and quickly put the conversations into action. Our family has lived in 7 places in 9 years, so my children are constantly going through change and adjustments. Sometimes as a mom it is hard to remember how much they need the "good convestaion" reinforcement when your in the midst of unpacking, adjusting and trying to make a new home yourself. Everyone is busy, just in different ways and my kids just have started acting up in a way that has been difficult to figure out how to best fix it. I've tried star charts, the 1,2,3, method and a bunch of others, but this book just hit and home run and life is so much better now. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another treasure chest of wisdom, June 23, 2007
I absolutely love rabbi Shmuley's passion for the family, and I have certainly found inspiration from him to be a better parent. This book will give you some power tools in creating what I believe will be a lasting and influential relationship with your children while also instilling strong moral values. I have several good books of Shmuley's, but unlike the others, I have totally marked this one up with notes and highlights. I'll be keeping this book for years to come and I'm certain I will be refering to it often.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

10 Conversations You Need to Have with Your Children
10 Conversations You Need to Have with Your Children by Shmuel Boteach (Hardcover - April 4, 2006)
$21.99 $16.49