5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Reading for Percy Enthusiasts, July 31, 2001
"brannonc" (Knoxville, TN) - See all my reviews
This volume (and its companion, More Conversations With Walker Percy) offers a fascinating and compelling glimpse into the mind of Walker Percy and a valuable study of the development of his literary and philosophical convictions as his career progressed. Though Percy's funny satirical piece "Questions They Never Asked Me" would seem to indicate that he found interviews dull and repetitive, the best pieces here clearly demonstrate the pleasure he took in discussing his ideas with an interested, engaged interviewer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Deeply satisfying addition to your Walker Percy Collection, October 23, 2002
Although Percy's output was prodigious compared to some literary greats, his six novels and two major non-fiction works leave his still-growing network of fans looking for more. "Conversations with Walker Percy" meets that need. While the biographies of Percy are helpful, there's nothing quite like hearing it straight from the author in this series of interviews. I finished the volume feeling ready to tackle his novels again prepared to look for gems I'd missed the last time around.

5.0 out of 5 stars Aspiring Novelists Must Read, March 29, 2013
Walker Percy almost always provides deep and rich discussion. There are so many profound insights in these conversations that the serious reader will not be disappointed. I can't begin to catalogue them all (you'll have to read for yourself), but if I was an aspiring novelist, or even already published, yes especially if publushed and accomplished, I'd put this book at the top of my must read list. I've read everything he's written, some novels several times, and I must say he had a beautiful spirit, and also the Muses came to him often. Walker Percy is a writer for those of us who feel deeply that they are wanderers in this world, which BTW, he truly believed was created by the God of the Christian Bible, so if you are a philosophical naturalist, you'd might beware. If you feel that there is something wrong in our culture, be delighted and learn some things by reading this book...again and again. Thank you Walker Percy and his interviewers.

5.0 out of 5 stars In 1961, who won the NATIONAL Book award? J.D. Salinger, Joseph Heller, or Walker Percy?, February 1, 2010
Walker Percy is the greatest American novelist of the later half of the 20th century. Why? Because he understood the mind of the character and placed him in a an existential conundrum which we all share as part of our own DNA. We become the character because the placement in a particular situation is compelling and real. In effect it is commonplace and ordinary. Now, in 1961 WP beat out Salinger and Heller as a last minute entry by his publisher. Sometimes chance has a way of making the world just a little bit brighter. A great book.

Conversations with Walker Percy (Literary conversations series)
Used & New from: $4.40