Converting movies for the Innotab

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 240 posts in this discussion
Posted on Dec 7, 2011 10:09:32 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 7, 2011 10:15:26 AM PST
Bootsaholic says:
You have to first load the software from vtech website onto the Innotab. you also need to insert the sdcard when the Innotab is updated. This will allow the Innotab and the sdcard to sink with the computer and the vtech website update. This will then lead to the downloading of files onto the Innotab and the necessary files on to the sdcard. Once that happens you can now drag and drop AVI formatted movies onto the sdcard. You can either drag and drop the AVI formatted movies directly onto the sdcard by connecting the sdcard to your computer or you can keep the sdcard in the Innotab and drag and drop the AVI formatted movies that way. So no you cannot just drag and drop movies onto the sdcard. You have to format them to meet the specific criteria that vtech has asked for their movie streaming, and I believe you will need the files from the website which occurs when you update and register the Innotab unit.

Posted on Dec 7, 2011 7:19:01 PM PST
Here's a question I haven't seen addressed.

I've downloaded a movie and several YouTube videos onto my son's Innotab that he will be getting for Christmas with no problems thanks to this thread.

But here's my question:

How do you put an icon in front of the videos on the Innotab? I've got so many videos on there now that I could see it being difficult for him to tell them apart as he isn't quite 3 yet and can't read.

Any help would be sweet.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2011 8:06:04 AM PST
Nadineb1 says:
Hiya I'm having this problem, how did you open the video app and music app? Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2011 8:08:02 AM PST
Nadineb1 says:
Hiya I'm having this problem, how did you open the video app and music app? Thanks

Posted on Dec 8, 2011 9:48:02 AM PST
Thank you so much for the post on how to convert movies. I was about to pull my hairout in frustration and finally when I got my windows media player working correctly (did not have a dvd codecs installed) the rest was soooo simple and stress free!!

Posted on Dec 8, 2011 8:05:35 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 8, 2011 8:07:12 PM PST]

Posted on Dec 8, 2011 8:06:24 PM PST
M. Drennen says:
i am struggling here does the pocket dvd wizard work with mac?

Posted on Dec 9, 2011 7:17:12 AM PST
Jen says:
So glad this discussion was started! I just wanted to add to it with my experience. I followed the directions in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5fsz3TWuFk

The conversion was taking a really long time so while I waited I found this discussion. After reading through the comments, I assumed the video I was converting would not work so I started another file on my other PC using Riven's awesome info. Long story short, the file created with Avidemux took much less time but the file was significantly larger. About 350mb for Auto GK (I did exactly what the guy did in the video but changed the desired file size to be about 350mb) and 1.18gb for Avidemux. So I adjusted the quantiser value in Avidemux hoping for a smaller file. At a value of 10, there was some reduction in quality but not bad. The file size came out at 817mb. I wanted it smaller so I set the value at 30 and the quality was awful and the file size was still over 600mb. How the quality of a 350mb file is far greater than one nearly double the size is beyond me, but they all worked on the Innotab and the quality difference was very noticeable. Some people mentioned being able to put videos on the Innotab but having them crash of freeze or not be able to skip forward or back, but I had no issues with this.

Both programs used in the video tutortial were free and he provides links where to download them in the description. If you're interested in this method, follow the video but go into Advanced Settings and choose a Fixed Width of 480 and set the Predefined size to be whatever you'd like. I went with 350mb because I want to load this up with movies for our trip to Disney World so I don't have to cart around the portable DVD player and all those DVDs. Innotab is $20 cheaper than my Sony portable DVD player, by the way! And the screen is not much larger than Innotab. It's really a great value as a portable media player.

Hope this helps someone! :)

Posted on Dec 9, 2011 7:18:34 AM PST
Jen says:
@E. Olson, I looked into this and it doesn't seem Vtech has included the ability to change the icons. They may in the future, but for now I think we're stuck with the generic movie icon. :(

Posted on Dec 10, 2011 4:31:01 PM PST
Calebsmommy says:
How about music? I've conquered the video option now (thank you very much!!) but now I tried to put some mp3's on the same way and they didn't show on the Inno Tab! They sure didn't make this thing easy! Luckily I'm tackling this before Christmas morning!! Oh and has anyone figured out how to put youtube downloaded videos on there with a decent video quality? They always wind up blurry no matter what I try

Posted on Dec 12, 2011 6:12:08 AM PST
T. Reynolds says:
A video converter like 'Any Video Converter Free' will allow you to batch-download videos directly from YouTube and convert them into the correct format automatically.

Posted on Dec 12, 2011 12:18:57 PM PST
tashapt says:
Please help!! What movies are you guys using to convert and put on the SD card. I tried using an itunes movie I purchased and also a DVD of Madagascar that we own. No luck! What do I need to do? I am so clueless!

Posted on Dec 12, 2011 8:33:44 PM PST
tashapt says:
Yay!! I finally figured it out. Thanks so much for all who posted directions on here. I would not have even known where to start!

Posted on Dec 13, 2011 4:43:47 AM PST
Calebsmommy says:
@T. Reynolds, thanks for your response. I actually didn't have any issue with downloading, or converting them, my issue was the quality of the picture was just awful once I got them on to the Inno Tab. At first I figured maybe that was just going to be an issue period, but the movies I have converted look great! Have you tried doing it through other converters and had better luck? I have plenty of DVD's on hand, I would just like to put a few of his favorite Disney shows on there also!

Posted on Dec 13, 2011 11:55:01 AM PST
MomofR&R says:
I purchased my sons Innotab back in October. I started with a 4GB card but upgraded to a 16GB once I started downloading photo, videos, and music. He has been playing with his for about three weeks now, and takes it everywhere he goes!!! D. Clapper thanks for suggesting the Pocket Wizard, I purchased it last night and it worked well. I had previously used Zamzar.com to convert videos to avi and music to mp3 from youtube with no problems. Now I've downloaded a few of my sons favorite movies from his room on the innotab. however, I am finding that a vast majority of them are copy right protected.
P. Niven thats for suggesting a DVDDecrypter, I'm working on a movie as we speak, hoefully it will go well!

Posted on Dec 13, 2011 3:58:50 PM PST
Laura says:
This discussion was very helpful for the movies, so I figured I would ask here if anyone knows how to load the music. I have converted some of my itunes to MP3s and have tried just dragging them to the SD cards and connecting through Learning Lodge (music will not show up here) and neither have worked. Any suggestion would be great! Thanks :)

Posted on Dec 13, 2011 10:46:52 PM PST
kah00na says:
Here are some good videos on converting DVDs/videos to the Innotab on YouTube:

Copy Movie File(s) to Vtech Innotab:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RuPCnS-bxQ

Vtech Innotab DVD to Video Conversion Process:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5l13Iepqn8

Convert YouTube Videos to Play On Vtech Innotab:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmjn9nv8gTI

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2011 12:12:03 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2011 12:17:39 AM PST
Pablo says:
In response to Latiffa:

"Posted on Nov 26, 2011 5:49:35 PM PST
Latiffa says:
So, I converted a video file to avi compressed and it shows up on the innotab, but when I try to plat it, it says loading failed......."

I had a similar problem until I noticed that Vtech recommends MJPEG encoded video (not MPEG). After switching to the "correct" encoder, the innoTAB played my converted videos...even after I tweaked the frame rate up to 20 fps and aspect ratio (display size) to 480x320.
Probably not related, but prior to loading videos, I did update the InnoTAB's firmware when I set up the online account.

Posted on Dec 14, 2011 12:22:51 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2011 12:23:54 PM PST
J. Greffet says:
Awesome! Thanks so, so much for the tips! I have to admit, I was intimidated when I read through this, but honestly, the process could not be easier: put the avi files on the sd card, put the sd card in the innotab, turn on, open the "movies" icon, close, turn off, and then hook the innotab up to your computer and move the avi file to the appropriate "movies" folder. I was so happy that it worked. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2011 1:10:48 PM PST
Mike A says:
I was able to copy movies to Innotab (Itab) this way:
1) convert movies (whole different topic!)
2) connect Itab with computer via USB
3) a pop-up window should appear - select view folders. If not, go to start/computer/the drive for Itab and select it
4) Select folder LLN (Learning Lodge Navigator)
5) Several folders should appear (Apps, Photos, Movies, Music)
6) Select Movies
7) copy converted video into Movie folder
8) Once copied, close window and disconnect Itab from computer
9) On Itab, select Videos and your copied video should be there.

Hope this helps. Now if I can just find a good (free) program to decrypt/convert DVD to a video!...

Also- my lil girl can't read yet. it would be nice to add an different icon to each video so she can easily choose the movie she wants....

Posted on Dec 14, 2011 3:28:55 PM PST
This may seem like a really silly question but how do I even save the dvd to my mac? I am sooo frustrated by this toy I am about to throw it. I have a couple videos on iTunes and cannot convert them. I bought Movavi thinking it would be so easy to use and that I could convert the videos but I cannot figure it out. I talked to Vtech and they sent me a file stating the video has to be a mjpeg file. I read through some of the posts and it seems people are converting to AVI. Is that the same? Thanks for your help.

Posted on Dec 14, 2011 5:47:33 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2011 12:46:24 AM PST
Pablo says:
It is confusing.... AVI video files are created to a specific video-audio file format that can be created using different types of (video and audio) encoders. Just so happens the InnoTAB plays AVI formated videos that were created by using the MJPEG (video) and PCM (audio) encoders (see User's Manual).
To add another layer of confusion, the program I use allows me to select from a list of video "codecs" with names like ffdshow Video, Xvid MPEG-4,..etc. Searching through that list, I found that the "codec" ffdshow allowed me to select the MJPEG "encoder" (from a list of many encoders). After reading all the great posts on this forum (thanks Y'all), and experimenting, I finally feel like I have a handle on the conversion process.
Sorry about all the verbiage!
....bottom line, make sure your video converter is using the MJPEG "encoder" when converting to the AVI format, and you should be in the "home stretch" in getting videos to play on the tablet.

For those that are interested (and have the time!) see:
http://www.tomkv.com/what-is-avi-format.html

Also for video conversion guides see:
http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/

I don't have experience using the MAC, but searching youtube.com via "dvd ripper for mac free" pulled up a fair number of videos that may help.

Hope that helps!

Posted on Dec 14, 2011 6:22:55 PM PST
Thank you so much for your post!!!!!! I followed your instructions and now my baby has all kind of videos and movies in his Innotab. I can not wait until Christmas!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2011 7:22:52 PM PST
Lisa K. Oden says:
Kelly...With Any Video Converter, which output profile did you use? I don't see MJPEG as one of the options on the Mac version. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2011 7:40:25 PM PST
Lisa K. Oden says:
Kelly...With Any Video Converter, which output profile did you use? I don't see MJPEG as one of the options on the Mac version. Thanks!
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  101
Total posts:  240
Initial post:  Oct 30, 2011
Latest post:  Dec 9, 2013

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
VTech - InnoTab Interactive Learning Tablet
VTech - InnoTab Interactive Learning Tablet by VTech
3.3 out of 5 stars   (364)