Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Mudcrutch Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation SnS

Format: Amazon Video|Change
Price:$2.99

on November 8, 2005
Back in 1984, the hit at the Canne Film Festival was another quiet and cerebral film called Paris, Texas - directed by the German director Wim Wenders (but that was then, and this is now). Here, we get the Danish director Billy August creating a hypnotic imaging of desolate Oklahoma small towns, an innocent woman on death row, and the various players around her story in the last days leading up to her execution. As always, Aidan Quinn is just right for his part as a complex lawyer turned tabloid huckster and alcoholic, who finally finds redemption in the last motel on the rain slick streets. But the real standout here is the always underrated Connie Nielsen, who smolders in this performance and the chemistry between her and Quinn is what great movies (and their moments) are made of. I guess in this age of mindless reality TV, films of this quiet beauty, intelligence, and grace are just too slow, pondering, and challenging for today's audiences. Too bad - this film is a keeper and a real gem!
11 comment|94 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 6, 2007
Aidan Quinn is great as a washed out attorney that now sells death row inmate letters to the media. He corresponds with inmates to get their last letter to sell for a great deal of money. When he meets a woman on death row, played by Connie Nielsen, his attitude changes and we see there is more to him than first thought. This has a good cast and excellent acting. The drama becomes a thriller as the clock ticks down till her execution. When Quinn finds evidence that she in fact is not guilty of kidnapping or murdering a little girl. It may not have lots of scenery but it makes up for it in drama. I highly recommend you at least rent it. I think there is a good chance you will want to buy it. Not appropriate for young children. If you enjoy this be sure to catch "Perfect Witness".
55 comments|51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 2, 2013
I was prepared to be underwhelmed by this movie, based on some of the comments. Instead, however, I ended up glad that I'd lucked out and found a good movie to watch! (That is, it wasn't one of those Prime movies that I click off after half an hour, because it just isn't holding my attention.)

Yes, it did start slowly, as some have noted, and yes, the bleak Oklahoma landscape shown in the beginning isn't much appealing. Even so, as the viewer soon discovers, in this "it looks like nothing happens here" environment, there is a LOT going on behind the scenes! What the movie does well is to artfully present, through character interactions, a reliable stream of hints and clues about those "not so ordinary" happenings. This sustained suspense makes the movie compelling and intriguing.

Connie Nielsen is outstanding in her portrayal of a widow convicted of child kidnap and murder. She doesn't necessarily "act" like a cold-blooded killer (isn't dead behind the eyes, etc.). Still, she presents enough of an odd detachment, along with some quirkiness, that I kept wondering if she'd committed the crime or not. Well along into the movie, I still didn't know quite how to regard her, and so (as part of that suspense factor), I was always wanting to know more.

Aidan Quinn, playing a washed up attorney with seemingly shady motives, is likewise more than he first seems to be at the movie's outset. His character experiences a slow metamorphosis, which caused me to increasingly warm up to his role. I respect a movie which delivers plausibility for a character's evolving perspectives (because it seems like the script is respecting me as a viewer). Here, Quinn's confusion, his reflection, his twists and turns, etc., are never forced, and so they never arbitrarily manipulate the audience. Rather, they serve to give his character depth and appeal.

Kelly Preston, as the attorney for the convict, has a smaller role, but the story would not have been nearly as good without her! She is very well-cast, and lends a strong presence. Her nuanced portrayal makes her character seem like a real person who happens to practice law (rather than being a stick figure caricature of a lawyer). Rarely do I see a film where three key characters all end up giving top notch performances, but I'm glad to say that this movie is a fine exception. The supporting characters were also good, for the most part.

I had no problem keeping my interest from the beginning. Even so, I noticed that I was getting more and more drawn in as the movie progressed, and that was a great feeling. One reviewer here said that the final 15 minutes were what made the movie worthwhile. It's true that the conclusion is a stirring reward. Still, I could never dismiss what comes before it, because the context and character developments offered prior to the finale, are completely essential. All kinds of seemingly unrelated loose threads get wrapped up then, and it all happens in ways that cannot be predicted.

For me, the story lacks some plausibility, which is why I gave it four stars instead of five. Still, I was more than happy to sacrifice some plausibility for a compelling sense of suspense and well-drawn characters. I like a movie that's as much about the characters as it is about the plot.

The subtle pacing invited more engagement from me than I'd likely give to, say, an action movie. The fact that my attention was required especially made the movie "get into me." I was engaged enough that after the video concluded, I found myself musing a bit, speculating about what would happen next to the characters shown in the final scene. Having enjoyed the movie a lot, I guess I didn't want it to be over!

Go and ahead and give the video a try (especially if you're a Prime member!). I think you'll enjoy it.
on October 30, 2011
What is marvellous about this movie is that the ending is a total surprise. The last fifteen minutes of this movie is worth the boring wait.
on March 12, 2012
All three of the main actors in this pic did a fine job. Connie Neilsen I had figured out all wrong, Kelly Preston did a UNbelieveable job as a defense attorney that gets so wrapped-up in a case that it consumes her (well, I happen to have dated 3 def. atty's and I haven't met one that devoted yet) Aiden Quinn fine job as always and I had him figured out wrong too. The movie takes some unexpected twists and left me surprised b/c each time I thought I had it down it switched-up! made me feel awful cynical. PK. Collins
on June 20, 2013
well thought through plot, engaging,well paced with an excellent ending.The ability of the movie to go back and forth in time seamlessly adds to the drama.Enjoy!
on September 7, 2014
We've all seen movies like this - perhaps the best is "A Few Good Men," the tension rises well past the eleventh hour, and everyone wonders how in the world Tom and Demi are going to fix this. Then there's the worst of the lot - Clint Eastwood's "True Crime," the most predictable and by-the-numbers "he didn't do it" death row yarn ever put to film. Perhaps the granddaddy of them all is the 1982 movie The Verdict, staring Paul Newman, who becomes convinced of his case beyond all reasonable real-world expectation.
Well, "Convicted" is up there with the best of them. Even in this era of the might Pause button, I found myself ignoring phone calls and texts because I simply had to find out how this could possibly all work out. What makes this movie work out better than most of its type are the relationships - you begin to care very early on what happens to these people. And by then, you're hooked.
on July 22, 2012
This is a fairly decent movie. An honest film that few will be able to call the ending of. If you are a Connie Nielsen fan she doesn't disappoint. There is one scene in particular though that makes the flick worth watching regardless. It's a moment of black comedy. There's a one-liner that made me laugh so hard I had to hit pause. Watch for it when a man is visiting an inmate in prison, and the guards are called out of the room. I will catalog this one-liner with the many great lines uttered in film, such as "Charlie don't Surf!", and "I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse". The line from Convicted though is dirty. Very dirty. You have been warned. ;>
on March 8, 2014
This is a movie I rented when I should have bought. I would like to share this movie with many friends. The acting was great and the storyline was even better. Serious and the ending wasn't so predictable.
on October 25, 2013
The movie is more of a Connie Nielsen show than anything. That's too bad because she's a good actress who is shown here as a self-absorbed star. In addition, the plot moves at a snail's pace with little for one's attention to hang on to.