Customer Discussions > Dragon's Dogma - Xbox 360 forum

Convince me on why Dragon's Dogma is so great

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 35 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 5, 2012 3:25:25 PM PDT
G. Peck says:
Dragon's Dogma

I see a lot of the discussions around here and everyone seems to like it. Played the demo, and I'm not sure if it's what it's cracked up to be. Combat seems like it may get repetitive. So, sell me on it.

Why do you guys like it so much?

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012 3:56:57 PM PDT
Core says:
Just played the Demo myself.. I found it some what enjoyable. At least more so than Dark Souls.. which owned me. *ugh*

Posted on May 5, 2012 4:37:16 PM PDT
G. Peck says:
I personally love Dark Souls. The difficulty, the haunting world and enemies, the horror of confronting a new boss for the first time. It was a masterful piece of work.

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012 5:01:29 PM PDT
Core says:
...I loved aspects of the game. The world. The design. The Gameplay. That chick you come across late into the game.

But what I hated was the inability to team up with friends on my xboxlive list... (I know it was supposidly done on purpose).. And I hated the cheapness of some of the enemies.

But not really trying to derail this discussion.

I am going to get Dragons Dogma and do my best to enjoy it, lol. Game play and the world setting was a big factor for me. I'll find out if this choice bites me in the rear.

Posted on May 5, 2012 5:11:13 PM PDT
Phoj says:
Preordered it today.

Posted on May 5, 2012 6:05:34 PM PDT
G. Peck says:
I don't want to get a game and "do my best to enjoy it." I want to be able to think it will make me enjoy it. That's the thing, I want it to be an amazing game and when I first heard about it I thought it would be. After playing the demo, I'm just afraid the combat may get stale. Not to mention the demo showed us just about nothing of, say, NPC conversation and stuff.

Posted on May 5, 2012 8:22:42 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 7, 2012 7:58:22 AM PDT
If you're looking for typical RPG NPC's, this isn't for you. Your squad mates are all player-created style characters with dialog to help you with missions and against creatures based on the knowledge of the NPC. You will be changing 2 of your NPC's out throughout your adventure, which will both be created by other players and gotten from the internet(including facebook and I think Twitter as an option), or pre-created and on the disk, and 1 of your followers will be one that you create, this is the nature of the Pawn system. It has it's strengths too though, as it is certainly unique, creative, and something different, and will push players to send out the best pawns they can make so that they will be chosen for missions and bring back goodies and info. From the demo we can't tell how well it will work, so we'll have to wait and see just how good this system is when the game releases. However, there will be other characters in the game that will not be pawns, and will be involved in the story too, it just won't be like your typical controllable party with lengthy back-stories.

As far as combat goes, I think you should know what you're getting into as well. At it's most bluntly put, if you simply don't like what you see in the demo you may want to wait. But if you're unsure you should just look more into it... From what I can tell we're going to be seeing small skirmishes strewn about when getting to point to point in the world, and lengthier boss battles that will be coming up here and there fairly often, and many times without warning. There are several things that will help to keep this fresh.

First of all is enemy variety. Different enemies will require different tactics, and this goes especially for the larger creatures(which I'm often calling bosses), and part of the fun is figuring out how to beat them. We've only seen a handful of the larger creatures in videos, but I'm feeling confident a lot of them are being kept secret, since surprise and figuring out tactics is half the fun. Second of all is a change in circumstance and location. I'd guess most all of your large creature battles will be unique in some way, except maybe when you get strong enough that they are 'random encounters', and small skirmishes should be keeping a good amount of variety as well. Depending on your environment you can, and will sometimes have to, go about your combat tactics in different ways. To help keep circumstances even more ever-changing is a unique emphasis on the danger in the long dark nights, with primarily only the light of your lanterns to help you see, and the fact that your health declines to a lower 'max hp' level as you fight enemies, until you can rest at an end or such. This means that longer journeys can become tense, challenging, and rather fun and interesting.

The third thing is the varying classes, and the enjoyment of leveling jobs and earning skills. Like many rpg's with job systems, there are a lot of classes here, and each one with interesting and unique skills, some of which that can carry over to other classes. When you start you will have 3 basic types, thief, mage, warrior, then unlock others, including combination types, and dedicated types. Depending on your job you will also be able to wield different primary and secondary weapons. To put it bluntly, your play style will largely be different based on your class and your pawns. And to go along with this, the fourth thing that will help keep gameplay fresh is that you can change your job class at any point in the game... So if you're getting bored with one play style, just switch it up and roll from there.

I'm pretty sure there is also crafting and looting and other things to help keep the game fun and interesting. There is supposed to be a lot to do. That's not to say the game won't also have it's flaws, but at the moments critics seem to be calling it 'surprisingly good'. The advice I give is go to the official website and watch some of the character class videos.(The sorcerer skills look awesome IMO.) Then go watch the OXM preview videos and see what you think from there. It's really something only you can decide.

Posted on May 5, 2012 10:17:43 PM PDT
G. Peck says:
Hey Wolf, great post. I really appreciate it, seeing as that's the most info I've really gotten about the game so far from an outside source. I like a lot of what you said. But I think you're right--I'm probably going to wait till release and see some reviews then, and I'll probably make my decision based off of that.

Or, who knows, I may decide after pondering some more that it actually does seem more awesome than I initially thought. I played the demo again today, and one thing I noticed that I didn't before was that you actually are able to crawl around on top of the bosses after mounting them. I think that brings a whole new perspective to combat, seeing as you'll be able to find those chinks in their armor and whatnot that way.

Posted on May 6, 2012 3:33:26 AM PDT
Thank you, and yes it's very much about finding out what is effective against the beasts. And it's more than just those spots, it's attack and magic types as well.

Again I advise you watch the OXM previews, as many people have said it's what sold them on it. You can find them on youtube, just put in Dragon's Dogma OXM.

As with any game we can't know how good or bad it will be until we have it. Critics may even find a lot to complain about, I don't know. Personally I can't wait to try it. :P

Posted on May 6, 2012 8:43:09 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 6, 2012 9:44:59 AM PDT
K. Collins says:
you should really go over to youtube and watch some of the videos..especially some of the live streams..i think thats your best bet to actually get a feel for the game..the demo is kinda lackluster if you didnt know much about the game beforehand..they kinda just threw you into it and said here it is try to survive..and i do think that was a big mistake..also the demo is much much easier than the game will be..

all in all though i think this is game a lot of rpg lovers have been waiting for..huge open world varying enemys..loads of loot..your own personal little army of pawns that you can pick and choose from..

also as far as the combat goes the attacks in the demo were ony the tip of the iceberg..there wilkl be a lot more to choose from and unlock..

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2012 7:51:23 PM PDT
Core says:
You know I didn't realize you could do that on the first play through either, and then it got a lot more fun afterwords.

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2012 4:40:50 AM PDT
C. Batey says:
Wolf

Nice post; however, I could be wrong but Game Informer gave a complete run down of the game. Only one of your companions you created. As you said your "pawn". The other is a "follower" in th sense of you have no custom options. A "follower" is suppose to be an NPC that you can recruit throughout the games world. You are suppose to even be able to recruit a friend's Main charater(as far as I know this is not a co-op option, the recruited main would not be controlled by its owner). Not sure if that is still the case. As I said I could be wrong, I went back to find my game informer but of course the wife had already trashed it. lol

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2012 7:49:47 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 7, 2012 7:58:54 AM PDT
Thanks! Actually, no offense, but I'm pretty sure I have it right. All of your 3 followers are beings known as pawns, 1 of which you create, 2 of which you recruit. Pawns have a specific role in the games world, and are known as pawns for a reason, it's a term that's actually even used in-game to refer to these beings. There have been some videos explaining this to some degree, actually, but I won't go into that since it'll be explained in the story too.

As I said, 2 of your pawns you will be changing(as in switching out) throughout your adventure. This is by downloading pawns from other players, or if you have no internet you'll be getting pre-designed ones from off the disk. These aren't static to your adventures, you won't have the same ones through your whole adventure, and you'll be changing them out enough to notice. As you said you will indeed not have direct control over their settings, other than equipment, I think. However, also as you said, 1 you will create and have control of in what skills they learn and such. With your own character, which obviously you also create, that totals 4 characters. 2 created, kept, and managed, and 2 recruited. Sorry for any misunderstood wording, hopefully this clears things up.

Edit-I saw where my wording was a little off and fixed it, thanks.

Posted on May 7, 2012 11:51:17 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 7, 2012 11:58:07 AM PDT
K. Collins says:
wolf is right..seems like hes got this dd thing down..

you hired pawns wont level up while they are with you..they only level in their creators world when he uses them..like when your created pawn levels up when hes adventuring with you..so to keep up with your level youll have to go back and hire new ones every few levels..the good thing is the pawn of other players on your friends list are free..other wise they get pretty expensive depending on level and rating..

if anyones on 360 your welcome to send me an invite..let me know and ill post my tag or post yours and ill send you an invite..

Posted on May 8, 2012 3:52:43 AM PDT
NCGuy says:
I am waiting for a price drop, maybe pick it up in a few months. I got too many backlog RPG games as it is.

Posted on May 8, 2012 11:49:35 AM PDT
Even with my massive backlog of RPGs, this one is really working hard on making me pre-order it. The combat should be fun, if only simplistic...but I haven't had the chance to play the demo given my lack of Xbox LIVE access. Can anybody expand on the combat in the demo at all? Is it like Amalur, or more like a Devil May Cry? I doubt it is as deep as Dark Souls, as few games can match that.

Ultimately, as with most WRPGs, to me, if the combat is poor, I have trouble enjoying the game as combat is the core gameplay element.

Anyway, any info would help.

Posted on May 8, 2012 12:01:40 PM PDT
G. Peck says:
I wouldn't do it justice through describing it, but it's much more expansive than I first gave it credit for. It actually seems quite deep and thought out.

Also, I can't wait to experience at night combat.

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2012 12:09:19 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 8, 2012 12:10:13 PM PDT
K. Collins says:
you should be able to dl the demo now..its only exclusive to gold members for a week..

and if i had to categorize the combat id say koa..but a lot deeper..

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2012 12:21:30 PM PDT
I don't think I was specific with that last post...it's not a lack of a membership...it's a lack of sufficient internet access here to actually get onto XBOX live. I'm in Afghanistan.

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2012 12:26:18 PM PDT
Core says:
Controls reminds me of Dark Souls... Which is a good thing. Now luckily the enemies don't piss on you like they do in dark souls though. That's the one plus (at least in my book)

Posted on May 8, 2012 12:28:07 PM PDT
K. Collins says:
dude that was my fault sorry..i just skimmed over that part of your post..well that sucks really..can you hop on youtube? theres dozens and dozens of vids there showing all the classes and pretty much all the combat skills you can get..but trust me the combats gonna be awesome..

Posted on May 8, 2012 12:29:54 PM PDT
Nah, best I can do is watch trailers on Amazon...I never go to the MWR to use the internet when I'm not working...I'll just give it a look when I get to Dubai in a few weeks.

Posted on May 8, 2012 5:33:47 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 8, 2012 5:37:28 PM PDT
Combat feels like a faster paced more action-centric version of Dark Souls. You have quick access to up to six active special skills with any character regardless of class. The classes play out a little differently though, and it also depends on what weapons your wielding. With archer/thief style classes you're going to be using a mix of aiming your bow, and running in for quick strikes where you can safely find them. With mage style classes you're going to be working hard to avoid getting hit, while also finding the right moments to cast your magic in the most effective and appropriate spots to maximize damage/healing/buffs/debuffs/ect. With your warrior classes you're going to find your most familiar physical damage dealing class, but that doesn't mean it won't also be fun. You'll be wielding larger weapons, doing what I assume will be bigger hit damage, and have shields with shield skills and the ability to draw aggression from creatures. Then you have the classes that are devout or mixes of these, expanding upon or utilizing unique skills in combining the roles respectively.

If I absolutely had to label it I'd say one part Dark Souls, one part hack and slash, one part Japanese ARPG, and a pinch of Shadow of the Colossus when it comes to climbing on and falling the major beasts.

From the demo I did have one more serious complaint though. In third person action games like this I'm very much used to having the ability to dodge roll... While the demo doesn't have it(unless I just couldn't figure it out), the full game is supposed to. However I've heard it's a skill limited to the thief style classes, where as warrior style classes hold the ability to block thanks to their shield wielding, and mages are pretty much just 'better stay out of the way'.(Mages do have a unique ability to levitate though.) When it comes to balancing this actually makes a ton of sense, but I have to admit I really missed having the dodge ability in the demo(especially when the griffon is charging), and hope very much that I don't have to assign it to a skill slot to do so in the full game. I've also heard even when you have it there are no invincibility frames... again this lends a hand to solid and interesting gameplay, but I know I'm going to miss that too, heh.

Posted on May 8, 2012 6:43:09 PM PDT
G. Peck says:
Pretty sure I found a way to dodge roll in the demo, Wolf. Hold the Skill key (LB?) and press A. I think that was it, forgive me if I'm wrong. I know it worked on the gryphon part of the demo, unsure if the warrior can do the same thing. Might look into it.

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2012 8:53:12 PM PDT
jones says:
I feel the same way. Nice.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  11
Total posts:  35
Initial post:  May 5, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 10, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Dragon's Dogma - Xbox 360
Dragon's Dogma - Xbox 360 by Capcom (Xbox 360)
4.3 out of 5 stars   (306)