Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

I dug out my copy of Peter D'Adamo's ER4YT after being told to embrace the diet by my health care practitioner. I admit to being skeptical at first, the idea of blood type having anything to do with what you ate, how you felt and what kind of personality you had seemed a bit far-fetched. I also wondered how I would adapt to the largely unavailable whole grains and Omega-3 rich fish that I was supposed to be eating. Unfortunately, I live in an area where whole foods are considered extravagently obsessive and seafood means shrimp and crawfish, both no-nos for me on this dieting plan. My shopping is now limited to a once a week foray into the city to the only Whole Food Market in the entire metro area! Nonetheless, I find the on-going results positive. I am eating lots of fruit, fish, the occasional chicken and turkey enhanced by lots of soy products. I have even begun juicing again, taking my juicer down from the supply closet where it was placed when I was in my low-carb phase. I have discovered Ezekial bread which makes a fantastic toast which I admit to pathetically dreaming about while I exercise prior to eating.
I purchased this book to supplement my rather scant knowledge of vegetarian and whole food cuisine and have found it more than adequate. Each food group is represented by recipes that are specifically labeled as A, B, O or AB friendly. In addition, there are specific A,B,O or AB ingredients added or removed in certain recipes to make them extra friendly to your type--a nice lagnaippe! I have subtracted a star only because it does not have as many fish recipes as I would like!
Best of all,I find that I have not tested any of the snack or dessert recipes. The reason for this is simple: I HAVE NOT HAD ANY DESIRE FOR SUGAR and absolutely no desire to eat in between meals. Since my body is happily receiving what it needs, it isn't bothering me with the constant craving I usually experience when using a different dieting plan. On the digestive end, I have not had any bloating or stomach aches, and I have been able to stop taking a popular and expensive fiber therapy!
Keep in mind that if you are a mainstream eater---meals out of a box, or junk food junkie, you are going to have a difficult adjustment to make when trying or just reading this diet through the first time. I would recommend eliminating and adding foods little by little--in fact it may take years---until you are actually adhereing to all the diet advice given in the ER4YT books. I say this from my own experience which tends to get tired and burn out when the change is too great. Give it a shot--it may take a while to see results, but I think your body's acceptance and performance will tell the real story.
22 comments| 282 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 19, 1999
Turned 70 in July. Started Eating for Blood Type in August when I started seeing Naturopathic Physicians and startead getting treatments. Am taking 7 less medications, body is no longer swollen, have no more stomach pains (unless I eat something I should not eat) have more energy, and am losing weight. I also enjoy what I am eating. Why didn't I listen to my son earlier?
0Comment| 106 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 28, 2000
This book is an excellent companion to the original "Eat Right 4 Your Type" book by D'Adamo (see my review on that book here on Amazon.) It contains a review of some of the material from the original book, and then branches out to include a ton of recipes. Each recipe specifies whether it is beneficial, neutral, or to be avoided by each blood type, making it easy to plan meals for one or more types.
The book has a whole range of recipes, from breads to main dishes, sauces to desserts, salads to beverages. There are 30 day menu plans for each blood type, with suggested meals and snacks. There's even a list in the back of mail order sources for various foods some people may have trouble finding in their areas.
All in all this book is a great adjunct to the previous book, and well worth buying for those who follow this health plan. If you're using the first book, don't hesitate to buy this book!
0Comment| 129 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
This book finally explains why a diet that works great for one person can spell disaster for another. What can be more specific than our own bloodtype! I love both books and the recipes are some of the best I have ever eaten. I am not only losing weight, but have a lot more energy. My sister, a former Stage IV Glioblastoma patient (a large lemon-size brain tumor; IV being the worst) is now a 2yr. survivor with no new tumor growth and only slight visible necrosis (dying tissue). She was given 3-8mos.to live; but part of her treatment included following very closely to her blood type diet.Now, I'm not suggesting it was diet alone that kept the cancer at bay, but it made for a much more cooperative climate to heal in. Cancer thrives on sugar.....Are we talking about results here? Her Doctors are still picking their jaws off the floor! This is something her Nutritional Consultant felt VERY STRONGLY about. For the skeptics, and those perhaps a little fearful of the unknown, all I can say is read, read, read the book and other books out there that link so many of our modern day health problems to the food we put into our bodies. A final note...Fat is not the real culprit!
on April 4, 2001
If you are not familiar with these books, the first place to start would be with "Eat Right 4 Your Type" - a terrific book. In that book, you will first begin to understand the relatioship between your blood type (A, B, AB and O) and what you eat. When I first heard of this new concept of eating over a year ago, I was a little doubtful. This is not a "diet", it is a way of eating healthy that is just right for you based on your blood type. If you stick with the guidelines on which foods are good for you and which ones you should avoid, you will be amazed at the results. Do not expect to see results overnight. How soon you will actually see and feel the difference will depend on how faithfully you follow the guidelines, and for how long.
In this book are some of the most unique recipes ever found anywhere. However, in all honesty, I think you truly need to be somewhat of a "die-hard-health-conscious fan" to truly enjoy, and stick with, some of these recipes. For me, eating healthy is a number one priority, so the transition to this style of eating was just a minor modification to my regular diet, especially when meat always left me feeling weighted down and tired in the first place. I would never in a million years even consider going back to the red meats that for my blood type are a definite no-no. That is not to say, YOU, should not be eating red meats, it will all depend on your blood type, so do not make the mistake in thinking everyone has to give up eating meat.
The results of eating the right foods for your blood type, and avoiding the ones you definitely should not be eating is amazing. I highly recommend this book as a companion for "Eat Right 4 Your Type"; they go hand-in-hand. However, I found the third book, "Live Right 4 Your Type" extremely repetitious of "Eat Right.." and "Cook Right..." The information provided in "Live Right..." was just too technical and dry to keep me interested.
on April 22, 2001
I read "Eat Right For Your Type" when it first came out a couple years ago, and I recommended the book to a friend of mine in her late forties that was suffering from fibromyalgia. My friend was a blood type O and thought she was eating healthy by eating lots of natural whole wheat bread, brewers yeast, alfalfa sprouts, yogurt, and drinking wheat grass juice, and eating no red meat. But she found her fibromyalgia kept getting worse, not better. She read the book and followed the blood type O Diet very closely. Six months later, my friend no longer suffered from fibromyalgia and was healthier than she had been in years. She is a therapist and she started recommending the book to patients of hers that had suffered from many illnesses, including diabeties, heart disease, chronic fatigue syndrome, and candida, and even cancer. She had them follow the diet and six months to a year later, the patients that adhered to the diet the closest had dramatic results, no longer needing medication, and healthier than they had been in years. I mentioned later to my friend that it sure would be nice if Dr. D'Adamo would come out with a cook book for all the blood types. He finally has, and it is dynamite! I too am a blood type O and I had a hard time cutting out wheat and corn because there are so many delicious products out there with these ingredients. I am in my early thirties and I have been 15-20 pounds overweight for a good part of my life and I have found that I am so much healthier and get leaner faster if I cut out wheat and corn products completely. But again, this was hard to do, because I couldn't find many "O-Type Friendly" recipes except a few from Dr. D'Adamo's first book Eat Right For Your Type. Now that Dr. D'Adamo has come out with this cookbook I am finding it easier and easier and more fun to stay on the blood type O Diet. The recipes are fantastic and quick and easy to make. I hope this book encourages everybody that is concerned for their health, and everybody that should be concerned for their health, and especially those that are at this time suffering from many debilitating diseases. Many people scoff at the blood type theory affecting our weight, metabolism, and general health, however, more and more studies are showing that this is the road to optimum health.
11 comment| 70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 4, 2004
Low carb, low fat, high protein...AAAAGH! It's all too much! Speaking as someone who's tried them all, I'm partial to Dr. Peter D'Adamo's "Eat Right 4 Your Type", an eating program determined by your blood type. Interestingly, all blood types are encouraged to limit wheat and dairy. But not every type of food is good for all.

Take Type O for example (my blood type). Type O's produce more stomach acid than any other blood type, which is why we're more prone to stomach ulcers. That also means we can digest red meat more easily than other blood types. Certain fruits should be eaten in abundance; almost all dark red, blue and purple fruits are encouraged for their alkaline properties, but avoid honeydew and cantaloupe, which have the highest mold count (Type O's are proven to be very sensitive to mold). Avoid or limit high acid fruits like oranges, tangerines and strawberries. Grapefruit, oddly enough, exhibits alkaline properties after consumption, so it can be included in the Type O diet. While beef is allowed, avoid bacon, goose, ham and pork.

Type A's are encouraged to eat fish up to 3-4 times a week to complement vegetable protein, but avoid white fish such as halibut, hake, sole and flounder (they contain a lectin that can irritate the Type A digestive tract). Type A women with a family history of breast cancer should consider introducing escargot into their diets, which helps fight cancer. Most dairy products are not favorable to Type A's.

Type B's do nicely on a variety of meats, but Type B's must avoid chicken, which contains a certin lectin in it's muscle tissue (particularly the breast meat)which disturbs a Type B's system and could potentially lead to stroke and autoimmune disorders. Olives should also be avoided because their molds can trigger allergic reactions. Magnesium is helpful for the Type B child who suffers from eczema. Unlike other blood types, Type B's can enjoy potatoes, yams and cabbage.

Type AB's and Type A's frequently have weaker immune systems, so a diet rich in vegetables with phytochemicals is important. AB's inherhit mostly Type A intolerances and preferences for certain fruits, and so should avoid bananas, mangoes and guava. Lemons and grapefruits are excellent for AB's. Coffee is actually recommended for AB's because it has the same enzymes found in soy. Red wine is great for AB's because of it's cardiovascular benefits. AB's should avoid all pickled condiments because of their susceptibility to stomach cancer.

There is more information to be had, and the list of do's and don'ts extend as far as beverages, spices and condiments. I can testify to the fact that this is a diet that works; I've lost 25 pounds in 3 months since following this eating program. This book also has a handy-dandy chart for each blood type to easily locate your specific needs. Not only that, but the chart is broken down by your ethincity and the amount of food you should have per week. For example, an Asian Type O may consume meat and poultry 3-5 X a week, but an African-American Type O can have as much as 5-7 servings a week. "Cook Right 4 Your Type" offers recipes for all blood types, and each recipe will tell you which blood types they're okay for. Don't worry if there are several Types to cater to (out of the 5 of us, 2 are Type A and 3 are Type O); there are recipes that are suitable for more than one type, making mealtime preparation easier. Try it for 2 weeks, and see if eliminating wheat and limiting dairy doesn't boost your energy and lift your allergies. Dr. D'Adamo has tested people of all blood types for his extensive research, and it seems his theory is correct. Eating right for your blood type is the way to go!
on July 20, 2000
The first thing which impressed me in this book is that everything that I love eating was included in my blood type, except...bread. I was trying to understand a small health problem that I had, and this book showed me what it is: wheat intolerance! When I stopped eating whatever contained wheat my problem was solved. You can really improve your health condition and your immune system by learning what is blood type friendly and what you should avoid. As mentioned in the book, many people suffer from intolerance to a particular food but they don't know it because it could be something they eat daily, like in my case wheat, bread. As a result you always have a problem and you can't find what causes it. It has a full range of recipes which you can follow, combinations of foods, in order to prepare your meals easily, it shows you how to arrange your kitchen and your shopping blood type friendly. Excellent book
on August 28, 2001
I like the way the book did the recipes. It wasn't broken down into one recipe for each blood type. It stated the recipe, then showed how beneficial or not that particular recipe was for each blood type. That way you can decide if you want to prepare a meal or not, or substitute certain items for others. There are two different blood types in my family and it would be hard to cook one dinner for one type and another dinner for the other type. I would like to see more recipes for vegetables other than squash & zucchini that could been consumed by both A's & O's though and also, more chicken & turkey recipes. Otherwise, my family loves the recipes and they are easy to make.
on February 15, 2000
I thought we were supposed to rate books based on their content, not whether an author chooses to answer your question on his website bulletin board. Oh, by the way, 'the inconsistency' you note is not an inconsistency if you had read the book more carefully: It does say quite clearly in both Cook Right and Eat Right that certain processing techniques can destroy harmful lectins in foods, which can result in a food having a different value depending on its form of preparation.
To get to the real point, this is a great cookbook, and if you are new to the concept of eating according to your blood type physiology, make sure that you READ his other book "Eat Right For Your Blood Type" which is a masterpiece.