Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 28, 2013 7:28:10 PM PDT
F. E. Brady says:
If I'm going to spend $22.95 on a cookbook it is going to be from a REAL cook/chef such as Ina Garten, Rachael Ray, Giada DeLaurentis, Paula Deen. People that I respect and qualify to write an authentic cookbook!

Posted on Mar 29, 2013 7:06:21 AM PDT
PDMan says:
All of her books so far have been glorified picture books. I know this because I've read (and I use that word loosely) them all at my local dollar store. I highly doubt this one is any different.

Posted on Mar 29, 2013 3:50:42 PM PDT
ebonysmom says:
I don't want her cookbook, but more importantly, I don't want to add dollars to her wallet because of the way she is once again exploiting her 8 children to do it. I doubt a plain cookbook with just recipes, tips and pictures of food would be enough to make it sell. She is depending on pictures of the children to make it more marketable. That is my main complaint about this new venture of hers. The recipes themselves, if they are the same ones she has
posted pictures of, are a close second.

Posted on Mar 30, 2013 4:06:45 AM PDT
Barbee says:
Personally don't see how pics of her kids add anything to the promotion of this book. There is nothing special or exceptional about any of them to warrant them being a draw for sales. As for the recipes, 'they' add even less. What she has previously tried to sell were either copied off boxes, cans or recipes that have been around for YEARS, OR, something she adds an ingredient to and voila' it is a recipe that, as she says, she 'invented'. She has such a way with words, our kate, that writer!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2013 6:22:46 PM PDT
ebonysmom says:
I strongly suspect some will buy this book specifically for the pictures that they will spend time browsing in the living room or even as bedtime book ritual. I agree the kids are no longer a draw for most people, but some would give their right arm plus the cost of the book to have current pictures of the kids and Kate. A coffee table book! Professionally done! A real keeper! Yay!!!!! Oh brother. There may be one fan who buys two books, one to browse and one to tear up to post pictures on the bedroom wall. Oh brother again.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2013 2:23:29 PM PDT
linda in nm says:
Check out Amazon's pre-order price. It is only $11 and change. If you order through Kate, you pay twice as much.

Posted on Apr 1, 2013 2:50:55 PM PDT
linda in nm says:
If you GOOGLE, HCI, the publisher/printer of this book located in Deerfield Florida, you will read: "Located in a 100,000-square-foot production facility in Deerfield Beach, Florida, HCI Printing & Publishing, also offers book manufacturing and commercial printing services to other publishers, self-published authors and a variety of companies worldwide. Anyone can have HCI PRINT their books. The reason for the long lead-in time for pre-purchase is that they won't print the books until they get a general idea of how many books will sell. HCI differs from other "PUBLISHERS" is that they don't give you a sum of money when you give them an idea that they approve and give you a contract for.

When authors want to publish a book, any book, they seek an agent who knows the different publishers in your book topic and they submit the book to various publishers for publication. The publishers then contract with the author giving them a set amount of money to cover pre-publication expenses. The contract also includes what the publishers will do to promote your book; i.e. advertisements in newspapers and magazines, spots on tv and radio. The contract for a new "writer" plagiarist like Kate might get as much as a $5,000 advance. Usually if the publisher is not too sure over the appeal of the book, they will often subtract the costs of travel, etc. to promote the book; i.e. book signings at book stores, appearances at malls and on radio and tv. The advance fee usually covers the printing of a certain number of books. After that amount is sold, the publisher then gives the author a percentage, sometimes as little as one percent for each additional book ordered/sold. The amount that the publisher pays the author is dependent on the sales cost of the book. Say an author wants $22.95 for a book and someone orders it from Amazon which is selling the book for $11.22, the one percent is on $11.22 not the $22.95. As the price decreases from longevity on the shelf, so does the payment to the author.

In this case, Kate is using HCI as a printing organization and she does not get anything but the cost of books she sells minus the cost that the printer (HCI) charges her for the book. So, Kate will receive the maximum amount from the book only if you pre-order from her. It is listed on Amazon for $11.22 and after it has been out on the market for a period of time that price will slip to as little as a dollar or less. So, if you must have the book, wait until it is published and on the market before buying it and you will save a lot of money.

Posted on Apr 2, 2013 11:19:09 AM PDT
A. Grey says:
This book is being published by HCI Books, not HCI Printing & Publishing. HCI Books a regular publishing company that has been around for over 30 years. Kate is not self-publishing this book.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2013 1:53:51 PM PDT
linda in nm says:
The reason that the pre-sales are starting SIX MONTHS BEFORE its release is that the "printer" won't print the copies until he has an idea of how many will sell. The first three books that Kate "wrote" were published by Zondervan Books. If they were such huge "bestsellers" WHY didn't Zondervan agree to publish this book? The reason is that the third book -- letters to her children -- was such a BOMB that Zondervan got stuck with too many books that didn't sell and they had to dump them in the dollar bins very shortly after they were released.

It is obvious from the appearance of the book cover that Kate is self publishing this book. Look at the photo, it is not sized correctly to center on the cover. Kate used a "CHEAP" photographer and did this on her own or, the KIDS PAID FOR THE EXPENSES FOR THE BOOK just like everything else that Kate does. It is obvious from her birthday celebration this year that she is SHORT OF CASH. This is the first birthday since the split that she hasn't taken purse boy Steve for a few nights at the Essex House (connecting/unlocked rooms) and then took her hairdresser and Steve out for an expensive birthday dinner PAID FOR BY THE KIDS. I expect that her hairdresser declined to give her a FREE ($1500) hairdo for her birthday since she is now persona non grata (USELESS NON-ESSENTIAL PERSON). The twins will be 13 in the fall and you can bet that they read all these articles on "Mommie Dearest." I would bet you anything that Mady has challenged Kate on her expenditures that are taken from their funds.

Posted on Apr 16, 2013 1:32:26 PM PDT
linda in nm says:
Has anyone else noticed how the price of Kate's book keeps increasing from $11.44 to $14.11 and now $15 and change? Is this because no one is ordering it? She is self publishing so the fewer books that are ordered the less she will make.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2013 10:03:59 AM PDT
linda in nm says:
This is definitely not a coffee-table book. Just look at the cover and you will see the photo is amateurish. It is poorly cropped and centered. The only object of this book is to keep Kate in mani-pedis and trips with the "silver fox".
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  6
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  Mar 28, 2013
Latest post:  Jun 26, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Kate Gosselin's Love Is in the Mix: Making Meals into Memories with Family-Friendly Recipes, Tips and Traditions
Kate Gosselin's Love Is in the Mix: Making Meals into Memories with Family-Friendly Recipes, Tips and Traditions by Kate Gosselin (Hardcover - September 24, 2013)
3.4 out of 5 stars   (128)