Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Mudcrutch Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation SnS

on October 25, 2009
One thing I didn't expect when I opened my Amazon box was to find that this book is only about 6 x 8 inches (it's TINY)! Who put my book in the dryer?

Anyway, I'm a fan of these ladies' Cookie Craft book and I pre-ordered this one and eagerly awaited it's arrival, so after I read through the whole thing I came away feeling disappointed. That's it? I felt there were too many "easy" cookies that weren't that impressive. Their best work is all represented on the cover so I was hoping for much more of that, but didn't find it. Oh well, it's still a cute book that might give you some ideas to work with.

Back to the size - you should take it into consideration because if you want it for a coffee table book, it's a bit too small for that. Also, if you want to prop it up on your counter to look at while you're working (like I do), good luck. You'll need something to keep the book open, but still not block what you're trying to see.

It's a good book for straight-forward Christmas cookie icing with lots of style. It's worth buying!
33 comments|31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 10, 2009
I really enjoyed the authors' first book and received Cookie Craft Christmas as a gift from my daughter. As I was reviewing the recipes on page 16 and 17 for royal icing, I found what appears to be an error. On page 17, at the top, it says to use 4 tablespoons of meringue powder with 2 cups of confectioners sugar for both piping and flooding, but only 3 tablespoons with 4 cups of confectioners sugar. This made no sense to me, so I checked in the original book and it appears that it should have read 4 teaspoons instead of 4 tablespoons. Did anyone else notice this? Are the recipes incorrect?
66 comments|22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 30, 2009
I have so many post-it note flags in this book! I was so inspired (see customer images) I had to share my photos!! I am a beginner at this, I have been watching Martha Stewart do it for years, but really needed a book like this to get my groove on, LOL! Thank you Valarie and Janice for the much needed inspiration.

To all you busy moms out there, it is not impossible to make gorgeous cookies. Follow the directions of this wonderful book (small but mighty) and you will be amazed at what you can accomplish! I have 6 kids underfoot, and was able to decorate over 150 cookies as gifts this Christmas. I didn't buy any gifts or go to the mall, I just got in the kitchen with this book and went for it. I took 1 day to bake, and the next to decorate. Next year I will start earlier. They keep well in clear favor bags sold at craft stores, with a pretty ribbon of your choice to close the top. Hope you find this book as inspirational as I did! :)
review image review image review image review image
TOP 500 REVIEWERon December 22, 2013
If you have always admired those gorgeous, painstakingly decorated cut-out Christmas cookies and wanted to learn to make them yourself, then Cookie Craft Christmas: Dozens of Decorating Ideas for a Sweet Holiday might just be for you. I'm always looking for new ideas, so when I found a great price on the Kindle version of the book a couple of days ago I added it to my library.

Authors Janice Fryer and Valerie Petersen provide three basic recipes for cut-out cookies - Plain, Chocolate and Gingerbread - each of which will make

● about 30 2.5 inch cookies
● about 16 3.5 inch cookies
● about 12 4.5 inch cookies

You'll also find detailed instructions for cutting & baking the dough, freezing the cookies and numerous techniques for decorating your masterpieces, both before and after baking.

Royal Icing, which dries quite hard, is the icing of choice for complicated cookie decorations. Fryer & Petersen give recipes for a number of variations - large and small batches, icing suitable for piping or suitable for flooding (a runnier icing used for filling in the outline, icing made with powdered egg whites, liquid pasteurized egg whites or meringue powder - as well as a number of decorating techniques that use the icing. (If you're a decorator, the handy charts alone are worth acquiring the book!)

▶︎ NOTE - One reviewer mentions an error in her copy of the book in one of the Royal Icing recipes. I've double checked all of the Royal Icing recipes in the Kindle version of the manuscript and all of them are correct.

Part Two contains full color photos for more than 60 different cookies (I counted variation as just one), all gorgeous, each accompanied by a complete list of equipment & embellishments needed and and detailed instructions for reproducing the cookie. Sadly, there is no master list of the included designs and page numbers referred to are neither actively linked or useful in Kindle. You'll have to page. (I subtracted a star.)

Part Three contains detailed directions for packing your cookies for shipping, planning a cookie swap party and a lengthy list of resources for cookie cutters and decorating supplies.

Grandma's $0.02 - These gorgeously decorated cut out cookies really let a decorator show off her creativity and make wonderful Christmas ornaments. Great activity for a snowy afternoon.

Highly recommended
on December 13, 2015
Informative cookbook on Christmas cookie decorating offering clear instructions for perfect results while allowing personal creative touches. Provided comprehensive resource list for needed supplies to gain perfect results.
on November 3, 2009
I have been waiting eagerly for this book the last two months...There was a different publication date en Europe and US, so I preordered it in Amazon.com and Amazon.uk...obviously in US was published earlier...and this morning I just received my copy..... I am so happy with it.

I had to admit I was a bit aprehensive, having read the previous comment about the size of the book, but when I saw it, I loved the size...its soo cute. Full of interesting ideas.....so many, I do not think I will have time till Christmas to do them all!!!!! LOL......

Thank you so much Janice & Valerie!!!! I love your work......I have half of Spain decorating cookies with your tips and buying Cookie Craft...... wait until I show them your new "masterpiece"

Thank you again...

Bea
[...]
on January 7, 2015
I am new to cookie decorating and couldn't be happier with this book. The book itself is beautiful and the tips and instructions within our just what I was looking for as a beginner. I also ordered the original Cookie Craft book and am equally pleased. Love this book!
on December 13, 2009
I saw this book at a local bookstore and when I got home I immediately ordered it on Amazon. I do a lot of baking and I am always looking for easy cookie recipes and new icing ideas. This book hits the mark. In fact I bought two. One will be a Christmas gift this year.

So far I have made the gingerbread recipe and the sugar cookie recipe - both get 5 stars. They are not TOO sweet or too buttery. The cookies don't loose their shape in the oven either (like so many sugar cookie recipes do). The icing was easy although the book does mention to start with a small amount of water I did have to add a lot more (tbsp at a time as the book suggests) until the proper consistency.

The method of rolling out the dough between wax paper BEFORE chilling is a little different to me so I did it the old fashion way and it still worked perfectly.

Seriously a good buy and a great gift.
on December 9, 2009
I've read some of the reviews stated here but because I am a huge fan of their first book I bought it anyway and really I am glad that I have it because the decorating ideas are fantastic.
The first chapter of the book has a compact review of the basic tips presented on their first book, so for the owners of the other book you can pass that chapter.
I think the improvement of this book is that in this one they describe step to step how to decorate each cookie and mark the easiest decorate cookies, to let know that you can do it if you are a beginner.
Even in a smaller size, the book really worth in my opinion!
on May 15, 2013
I had a similar book by Janice Fryer that described how to make decorated cookies for all occasions along with numerous recipes for the cookies and the icing. The book got me interested in making themed cookies for my grandchildren at the different holidays and birthdays. I liked the book so much that I bought this Christmas version for my daughter. It's my cookie bible...I never make decorated cookies without consulting it.