Industrial-Sized Deals GG Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals TheGoodDinosaur Outdoors Gift Guide on HTL

Format: PaperbackChange

on February 26, 2005
I am a vegan yankee who has recently moved to the south. My vegan friendly southern boyfriend claims that everything I have made from this book captures the true essence of southern cooking. The first thing I made is the "Fried Chicken" Tofu & Gravy and he asked if I could make it again the next night! The recipes are very easy to understand and Ms. Jackson's tips and quips make the book very enjoyable to read. Most of the recipes can be made with ingredients most vegans already have around the house and are also very adaptable. I would strongly suggest that even if you only have a couple vegan cookbooks, and you like hearty, easy to make food, make this book a part of your library. Warning: the dishes in this book are quite addictive; make more than you think you will eat!
on February 1, 2007
I chose this cookbook based on reviews and WOW! My family has loved every recipe we've tried...corn pudding, pineapple/pecan upside down cake, shortning bread fried "chicken," "fish" sandwiches, apple cobbler. This is probably the best cookbook I've found in a long, long time. Fabulous food, fun, chatty style. Really innovative (I've never seen vegetarian versions of Southern food). I thought people were exaggerating when they said non-vegetarians loved certain of these dishes (yeah, not in my family, I thought) but I watched with astonishment as my husband polished off every last tofu "steak" on the platter, oblivious to the fact the rest of us wanted more--this is just not like him!

It's hardly the healthiest cookbook available--many things are fried or have tons of oil, like much traditional Southern cooking, but I've found I can reduce the fat/oil without any problems in the results (ie, The cobbler called for 2 cups of margarine (yeah, really!) but I only used 1/2 cup and it was still fabulous. Most (or all?) of the recipes are vegan. I'm not vegan, so sometimes I substitute eggs or milk, but I've also learned about new alternatives which has been fun. I adore this cookbook. Now I'm just afraid I'll never find another one I like as well!
on February 11, 2002
This book is a near-vegan treatise on southern cooking, and the dishes are truly authentic. Jackson's style is friendly and easy to follow, and she and I share the same cooking philosophy -- that every dish is an experiment and every recipe is just a launching pad.
The recipe for Greens is a testament to its merits. Somehow Jackson manages to recreate the rich taste of salt pork that is normally used in traditional Southern greens recipes. Other standout recipes are Flawless Cornbread, Wild Woman's Bar-Be-Que Sauce and Big Bubba's Tofu. Another treat that makes the book worthwhile is the section on household hints, from how to season a cast-iron pan to how to ripen an avocado.
on August 13, 2005
Ok, so I grew up a northerner who never really had grits or white cornbread or a real live mess o' greens in my life. Now I am proud to say that even my carnivore southern husband will eat chicken fried tofu (and he hates tofu!) and just about anything else I make from Ann Jackson's excellent cookbook. I had been a vegetarian for years, a little fearful of going vegan, and this book helped make the leap effortlessly. The only problem is, now I am addicted to gravy. GRAVY for pete's sake! (not to mention the "addicting" tempeh chicken salad, cornbread stuffing, etc..) And I want Ann Jackson to know that I always wear my vintage kitty cat apron when I bake my vegan pies!

ps - my grandmother taught me how to make stickies when I was 5, but I never knew what to call them before.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 18, 2011
I have to admit there are some good ideas in this cookbook. However, ideas aren't enough for a person unless they already know plenty about southern cooking. I have a difficult time believing that most of the people who gave this book 5 stars actually used the book. Almost every recipe I've used has issues, whether ingredients are listed without instructions for use, or are vague/unclear. Also, cook times are not listed. This book is VERY poorly edited.

Here are just a few examples of the incongruencies I encountered while using this book:

Cajun Red Beans and Rice
The ingredient list says to use "Several stalks of celery" which is vague. It also lists "1 bunch parsley, chopped," but the cooking instructions fail to say what to do with it.
The only spice listed for this recipe is cayenne. The outcome would be bland and not very cajun without cajun seasoning.

Fried Chicken Tofu
"Heat oil in skillet. (I think an electric skillet works best with the temperature set at about 300F)" What about those of us (most cooks who need to use a cookbook) who do not use an electric skillet?

Great Smoky Mountains Green Beans
The ingredient list requires beans, mustard, sesame oil, cloves, miso, and plums. The cooking instructions require beans, miso, tomato, and onions. What was I supposed to do with the mustard, sesame oil, cloves and plums, and why weren't tomato and onions listed in the ingredient list?

Aunt Sukie's Collard Greens
Calls for Lemon juice or vinegar, doesn't say how much or what to do with it!

Also note this: Out of 19 five-star ratings this book currently has on Amazon, 8 of those reviews were submitted by individuals have reviewed only this book. Fishy!
on February 22, 2001
Don't let anybody tell you anymore that being vegan means giving up all your old-time favorite flavors! What a great book for home cooking! I made the "Fried Chicken Tofu" and my carnivore friend who practically eats ONLY meat ate it all (before learning what it really was), and the Bar-Be-Que Beans are addictive, just as the author says. If you like spoonbread and creamed corn and greens & all that but wondered how to fix it vegan, this is your cookbook. Some recipes are high-fat, but you can be sensible and have them as once-in-a-while treats.
on October 2, 2007
My husband and I have been vegans for two years, and most of the cookbooks I tried have either ethnic food (which can be great) or haute cuisine with 500 ingredients (which can also be great). But often what I really want to eat is comfort food--food my mom used to cook, but vegan. If that is what you need, this is the cookbook for you.
I own 2 dozen vegetarian or vegan cookbooks, but this is the only one I really use. Not only is every recipe delicious, but the author teaches you how to substitute non-animal ingredients to make your favorite dishes. Plus, she is fun and chatty--just the sort of person you want to share your kitchen with.
on October 5, 2003
I'm a health-conscious vegan with very little time and I refuse to eat food that's been processed. The recipes in this book are very simple and delectable. Almost everytime I open the book I discover a new recipe. Most of my friends generally hate anything healthy, but they will scarf down anything from this book. Also, this book is funny and a good read, so I recommend everyone to have a copy by their toilet. I also love Ann Jackson's other book, "Heart of the Home".
on June 6, 2000
In Cookin' Southern, Ann Jackson combines family friendly Southern cuisine with a healthful eating ethic. From Fried Green Tomatoes and Gravy, Johnny Reb Dirty Rice, and Boone's Creek Corn Chowder, to Moonshiner's Tipsy Cake, Hillbilly Best Bread, and Easy Overnight Cinnamon Rolls, Cookin' Southern offers a compendium of tasty, palate pleasing, "kitchen friendly" recipes. There's even a superb recipe for making a cream soup without using any cream! Cookin' Southern well prove to be a much appreciated, often utilized addition to the vegetarian cookbook shelf.
on July 10, 2001
we use this one alot... the greens and the cornbread are perfect, if you want good ole southern food. Also love the trailer trash recipes, and the descriptions of picnics and summer nights. Good tips for using leftovers, and last nite's leavings.