5.0 out of 5 stars Glad I have this book
IF you don't have a problem with eggs, this is a great recipe book. I've made several of the muffin recipes and and a few of the loaves as well. I reall like the taste and texture and have recommended the book to several people. Whether the results are high or low carb depends on which recipe you choose, and you do have a choice for many of them of using the...
Published on March 1, 2007 by Brenda M. Russell

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Book for Coconut Flour Bread and Dessert Recipes
Bruce Fife has done a great job in helping people to understand that coconut oil and other coconut foods are good for us. I have been aggressively integrating coconut into my diet with happy results. I believe that coconut oil, milk, flour & cream are really healthy food choices.

I bought this book hoping to find some really interesting main dishes that I...
Published on August 24, 2008 by Jo Ana Starr

‹ Previous | 1 2 319 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Culinary Discovery, September 2, 2007
This review is from: Cooking with Coconut Flour: A Delicious Low-Carb, Gluten-Free Alternative to Wheat (Paperback)
I can honestly say that this book has changed my life! Low-carb and healthy has never been so delicious. I am not one for baking, but I just whipped up a batch of delicious cupcakes with chocolate frosting--and I can eat one guilt free! Coconut flour is high in fiber, low in carbs and delicious! I love the low-sugar recipe options, too. Basically, use half the sugar and add stevia to taste. Perfection!
My favorite is the pancakes recipe--I can now eat my favorite breakfast food every day. Hot tip: Add a couple of chocolate chips to each pancake for the ultimate (guilt free!) decadence. Mmmmmmmm.

5.0 out of 5 stars Healthy New Ideas~~, January 17, 2009
I bought this book recently from Amazon after reading the reviews. I've tried the banana nut muffins (twice now) and we like them very much. Knowing they are healthy and high in fiber, they are a welcomed treat in our home. I can't wait to try more of these recipes. I don't expect the recipes to turn out identical to their unhealthier conventional types that everyone is used to, instead we look at it as a whole new world of options, using coconut in a smart healthy way. There are SO many recipes in here that appear simple to make, just make sure you have coconut flour and coconut oil and maybe coconut flavoring...
I do have a couple of questions though, why do the recipes for muffins only make 6 and not 12? Will they freeze well? And can I use honey instead of sugar in the recipes?
I have a lot of cookbooks, and this is one that will quickly become a favorite, not just for the recipes, but for teaching me a healthier way to snack. I'm very glad I bought it. Two thumbs up!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good low carb solution, December 17, 2011
I have read other people's reviews and I know that a lot of people are unhappy about the number of eggs in the recipes. I personally am happy about the number of eggs because I know that this type of protein keeps me fuller longer. Coconut flour is so high in fiber and does not spike your blood sugar. I find that when I eat baked goods that I make from this book I feel much more satisfied than when I eat a regular piece of bread or muffin. I tend to eat a lot less throughout the day and it helps me lose weight.

The baked goods that I make from these recipes are NOT exactly like the white flour recipes they are trying to copy. HOWEVER, they always taste delicious and I have yet to try a recipe that I have not liked. I have tried banana bread, cranberry nut bread, corn bread, pumpkin muffins, and brownies. My favorite so far is the banana bread and pumpkin muffins. Even my husband who gets frustrated with my healthy eating attempts loved these. My kids gobble up EVERYTHING I have made from this book and think they are treats. And if you are also substituting stevia, they are healthy!

I would highly recommend this book to anyone looking for a low carb solution to delicious baked goods.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book-Amazing Recipes, September 5, 2008
I was skeptical that these recipes would be any good, but they are great!I cannot believe how coconut flour cooks up like regular flour by making fluffy recipes. For those who say there are too many eggs, keep in mind, coconut flour has no gluten-the eggs are needed to act as a binder otherwise whatever you are making would just fall apart. I have made the blueberry pancakes, the brownies, the cheese biscuits, the cookies and all have been great...the meatloaf was very dry and not good, so be careful what kind of meat you use-I used bison and it is very low fat meat in the first place, so did not work for this recipe. The best part is how low carb the recipes are...if you are looking for a way to eliminate starch/carbs and also benefit from healthy coconut flour, this book is it. Can't wait to try some more recipes.

2.0 out of 5 stars It all tastes like quiche, October 14, 2009
I am disappointed with this book. Our household is primarily gluten free and definitely dairy free. Anyone who is both those things knows that it is difficult to find good substitutes for the wheat laden counterparts of breads and cookies. And if you do, you must combine several types of flours and gums.

Finding this book I hoped that might be eliminated - maybe I could use only one type of flour, albeit expensive flour. I took the leap and added the Aloha Nu brand (also produced by Fife) of coconut flour to my order.

Although most of the recipes use butter and milk, I did not list that as a dislike as he states you can use coconut oil or coconut milk to substitute.

The one thing I did like is that he provided a lower sugar version for each recipe.

My first dislike is that he is repetitive in going over the benefits of coconut. High fiber, low carb, gluten free, chock full of vitamins and minerals. That could really take up a lot less space then 40 pages.

My second dislike is that every recipe I tried tasted like quiche with an undertone of coconut. At first I thought I might be measuring improperly. If the recipe said 2 tbsp sifted coconut flour, I measured 2 tbsp then sifted. But when I tried again sifting first then re-measuring, the same result. These are the recipes I have tried:

* Coconut Bread - tastes like quiche
* Coconut Pancakes - tasted more like an omelet
* Sausage muffins - quiche
* Coconut chocolate chip Cookies - ok, so these turned out great with a flavor of chocolate macaroon and I think it's because it had the lowest egg to coconut flour ratio.

Everything has such a high egg content and that is primarily what you taste: eggs. I have yet to try a pie crust (no eggs) recipe. Maybe that will redeem my review from 2 to 3 stars.

For things like breads and muffins I would recommend Gluten Free Baking Classics instead.

4.0 out of 5 stars good general info and good ideas, March 26, 2010
Samson (Long Beach, CA, United States) - See all my reviews
I've tried the pancakes and banana bread so far. But, for the banana bread I added about a 1/4 cup of chia seeds and 1/2 cup of shredded coconut - I'm allergic to walnuts. Turned out pretty good - I used half raw cane sugar and half stevia to bring down the sugar content. The chia was just to help increase moisture retention.

The first batch of coconut milk pancakes I made, I used just coconut oil - no butter. They turned out pretty flat and almost like crepes - maybe more like egg flavored cardboard. I made another batch tonight where I added a little fresh ground chia flour for moisture, some mashed banana, and used half butter half coconut oil for the oil portion. I added blue berries and cooked on a griddle at about 335 degrees on butter. It was very moist.. came apart very easily - but not to the point where it was crumbling. Much better this time around. My boys gobbled them right up.

The book tries to solve moisture problems by adding oil. If you add just a little chia, it seems to help retain moisture while reducing some of the crumbliness ( or overly stiff egginess)

5.0 out of 5 stars Lo Carb recipes, July 23, 2007
BzyMoogie (United States) - See all my reviews
I now can enjoy muffins and cakes guilt free. My glucose reading were very stable after eating muffins made with coconut flour. The recipes are easy to follow and they did have no or low sugar alternatives. My family was pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cooking With Coconut Flour, January 26, 2006
Simply wonderful! Have tried many of these recipes and they are all wonderful - As someone with low blood sugar and gluten intolerance, this is especially wonderful! My whole family loves the recipes. A must for anyone wanting healthier food for the family!

1.0 out of 5 stars Cooking with Coconut Flour and EGGS would be a better title, February 24, 2006
I purchased this book because I was extremely pleased with Fife's book: THE HEALING MIRACLE OF COCONUT OIL (the title has changed a couple of times).

Fife's new book COOKING WITH COCONUT FLOUR was a BIG disappointment. Many people with allergies have more than one food trigger. Wheat, corn, soy, dairy, eggs and yeast are the most common.

This book should come with a warning that virtually ALL of Fife's recipes contain eggs. Not just a couple of eggs, but LARGE numbers of eggs. The cake recipes had a range of between 8 and 18 eggs per recipe with 12 eggs being the mean. An example: The Carrot Cake contains 1/2 cup butter, 1/2 cup coconut milk, 12 eggs, 1 cup sugar, 1 cup coconut flour, carrots, nuts, spices and baking powder.

A number of his recipes include dairy products (butter, cheese, milk). The reader will find corn products (cornstarch, corn, cornmeal) in ingredient lists as well.

This is not a cookbook I will be able to use in our home. In fact, I am not sure if I can find even a few recipes in this book that will work with my family and our allergies.

As far as book format, there are a few small black and white photos, but NO colored pictures within the text. The only colored pictures are on the cover and on the coconut flour order form tucked inside the book. A 2.2 lb. package of coconut flour costs $9.95. Shipping ranges from $7 on orders under $16, to $25 for orders $200 and up.

This book binding will not easily lay open flat to facilitate reading the recipes during preparation. Paper quality is thin and pages will not wipe clean if soiled.

If wheat is your only allergy, this book may offer some helpful recipes. If you have multiple allergies, this book may not be what you are looking for.

4.0 out of 5 stars coconut flour changed my cooking forever, May 11, 2009
This is a very versatile flour and this cookbook does a wonderful job of explaining those uses. You must use a lot of eggs, but for those traveling with gluten intolerance coconut flour is a godsend because all you need to bring is the flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and if you have access to eggs and butter (oh and an oven or stovetop) you can make pretty much anything. Excellent!

‹ Previous | 1 2 319 | Next ›