5.0 out of 5 stars More great ideas from a tried-and-true source!
Published on January 13, 2010 by Anne

1.0 out of 5 stars Recipes Are Too Complicated, Too Expensive
“Dinner Tonight” – not at my house.

I’m looking for healthy recipes that are easy to prepare and can be made from ingredients you’d find at most grocery store. I don’t know whether the recipes in this book are keepers or not, but I can't waste my time and money finding out. Most of them contain 15-20 ingredients, expensive...
Published 6 months ago by S. Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars More great ideas from a tried-and-true source!, January 13, 2010
Anne (Mission Hills, KS USA) - See all my reviews
Like many other Amazon cookbook aficionados, I like to buy cookbooks but I don't always cook from them. This Cooking Light book is an exception because it highlights only entrees, which is what I usually look for. There are photos for each recipe and sidebars giving quick recipes for side dishes to accompany the main course. Wonderful, ethnic ideas, lots of Mexican and Asian, and many good old American dishes like chicken pot pie! I will definitely use this book a lot. Excellent, fresh recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Cookbook!, September 1, 2009
Another wonderful addition to my Cooking Light cookbook collection! If you are a subscriber to the magazine, or purchase the annual cookbook, then these recipes are all repeats. However, the book is well put together on high quality paper, and offers lots of full-color glossy photos. It also offers menu suggestions, which I appreciate. I love the fact that the recipes offered here are all quick and easy, and many utilize the same ingredients which makes grocery shopping a snap. Anything negative to say? Nope.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Cookbook of the Year, October 6, 2009
I purchased this cookbook for the office and I liked it so much I bought a personal copy, too. I go through tons of cookbooks and this one is perfect. Great recipes, relatively easy to make, wide variety, beautiful pics and design. Very, very nice. Anyone who enjoys cooking would like to receive this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Agree that it's a great meal planner, October 31, 2010
Del (MOBILE, AL, United States) - See all my reviews
Like several other reviewers, I have been using this book to plan, or rather choose, at least three or four weekday meals ever since I bought it. Not feeding strict dieters so I've been "cheating" with a little more oil, cheese, etc. (I find the cheese amounts particularly stingy) and everything is tasty, with some standout recipes now marked with notes like "Good enough for company!!" I LOVE the gorgeous photos, side suggestions and "Game Plan" instructions - it's almost like having a personal chef, except for, you know, having to buy the food and cook it. :)

I wouldn't say that this book is for a beginning cook or for someone who doesn't have/want a fairly extensive pantry of spices etc., but that's what I like about it. It's perfect for a somewhat experienced cook who wants variety (including lots of vegetables and interesting, but not absolutely authentic, ethnic dishes) and wants to spend less than an hour cooking a reasonably healthy meal from "scratch."

5.0 out of 5 stars Our Favorite Cookbook, June 19, 2010
We received this cookbook as a gift, and it quickly became our favorite. It was water damaged in the middle of one of our projects, and I went to Amazon to find a replacement for it immediately. Great resource for healthy, quick meals and for menu planning. Organized by main entree, with suggestions and recipes (if necessary) for sides and desserts. It is a collection of meals, not just of recipes. The meals are flavorful and interesting, without being quirky or using hard to find fresh ingredients. Exactly what you need for weekday nourishment.
Also very beneficial is the "Game Plan" for each of the meals, which helps you organize your dinner preperation, example, "while oven heats or while water boils" and the Quick Tips, Flavor Tips, or Ingredient Tips, also included with many of the menus. Perfect for the less experienced cook in your household. Nutritional information is only listed for the main entree.

4.0 out of 5 stars Make a Great, Quick Dinner Tonight, February 6, 2011
I found this cookbook at the local library, tested a number of the recipes and liked it so much that I ordered my own copy. While I didn't like every single recipe by any means, there was one I absolutely loved and others that were pretty good. I also liked the fact that it inspired me to make my own recipes by showing me certain ingredients that I liked enough to use over again with an alternate meat or foul or fish.

I like the fact that there is overlap in the ingredients within the recipes. In other words, if you like cooking with red peppers and cremini or baby bella mushrooms, you will find that those ingredients appear again in other recipes.

I also like the fact that the recipes are reasonably quick and easy to make and yet have a certain degree of sophistication...a gourmet quality.

And I agree that this is reasonably "light" fare, for the most part. Bon appetit!

5.0 out of 5 stars No stress cooking!, January 31, 2011
Not only is every recipe I've tried up to par with the great, unique and yummy recipes I've always found in the Cooking Light magazines, but they are easy, fast to prepare, really good, and fit for company!! The best part about this book is that just about every recipe fits on one page, is beautifully pictured AND comes with its own sides dishes (and recipes for those too!). So far the sides have been colorful and look attractive on the plate, are very easy to prepare and taste great with the main dish. I just checked this one out at the library, have renewed it as many times as I can and will still buy myself a copy. No more thinking about what to have for dinner and what to serve with it! Easy recipes, easy to find ingredients. Usually I have most of them on hand already! Get this, you won't be disappointed. Would make a great gift for newlyweds or housewarming!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of Cooking Light!, November 23, 2010
I have 6-8 Cooking Light cookbooks. I love them all. I am a foodie that likes to pare down calories and not compromise flavor and quality. This is by far the best of all my Cooking Light books. The recipes are easy and delicious. I especially like that they pair the entree with a side. It makes it even easier to plan meals for the week. I choose two to three recipes for the week, make my grocery list and shopping is easy. If you have to choose just one Cooking Light cookbook, choose this one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, December 17, 2010
I have a number of cookbooks and a good bit of cooking experience, but a few months back, I found myself getting into a bit of a "recipe rut". I ordered 4 Cooking Light cookbooks, and this one is my absolutely favorite. Practically everything I've made from here has been out of this world (agreed with by my husband), and even the ones that aren't spectacular are still good enough to have been worth the time and effort. Our favorite recipe is probably the chicken parm. on page 310. My husband swears every time I make it that it tastes better than anything he could ever get at a restaurant. This cookbook has been wonderful in getting us to try new ingredients and flavors we'd never had before but now don't know how we ever lived without. I LOVE this cookbook!

5.0 out of 5 stars By new favorite cookbook!, November 12, 2010
truthiness (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
I LOVE this cookbook! It's full of awesome, healthy entree recipes that draw on a variety of cuisines and are full of flavor! Each recipe is accompanied by a big, beautiful photo of the end results, plus ideas for sides/desserts and a suggested way to divide up your cooking time efficiently. Everything I've made has been great, and the fact that most dishes are relatively quick means that I actively use this cookbook instead of letting it sit on the bookshelf. A must-have!

Cooking Light The Essential Dinner Tonight Cookbook: Over 350 Delicious, Easy, and Healthy Meals
Used & New from: $8.00