Published on June 22, 2010 by Deana Tanguay

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not Great.
There are only 1 or 2 recipes for each vegetable...it's a pretty book, but if you want lots to choose from and a book full of more recipes than you'll ever make to choose from, this is not it. It's more like a hard bound magazine with a few choice recipes than a treasured cookbook...I'm sure one months issue of Food Network magazine has more recipes.
Published 4 months ago by Hot hands

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Fresh, simple, delicious recipes....the perfect cookbook for farm fresh produce!, June 22, 2010
We receive a share of produce each week from our local CSA farm. This book is laid out perfectly, I just look up what we have in our box that week (for example fava beans or green beans) and there are 3-4 amazing recipes. So far every recipe I have tried has been easy to make, healthy, and delicious. Now I never have to worry about what I am going to do with the produce I receive. Covers vegetables and fruit and I dare you not to get hungry looking at the gorgeous photos!

4.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful and useful cookbook, October 20, 2010
kquick (California) - See all my reviews
So far every recipe I've tried from this book has turned out well. It's nice to go to a farmers market now and buy things I've never even tried before (watermelon radishes?), because I know when I get home there will be at least one, if not three, recipes I can use. Most of the recipes are elegantly simple, like the butter lettuce salad with mustard vinaigrette, fresh chives, tarragon, and parsley. So delicious. About the only modification I make to many of these recipes is to dial down the garlic. This is not an entirely vegetarian cookbook. Most recipes are vegetarian, but not all, so there are also a few fish and chicken and beef recipes, and they all look good as well. The book stays open when you lay it down on the kitchen counter, which is nice. Beautiful illustrations and beautiful layout.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book!, March 5, 2011
Mrs.PAB "Mrs.PAB" (Virginia Beach, VA) - See all my reviews
We joined a local CSA with a variety of local grown, organic vegetables coming to our house each week. Instead of cooking the same thing each week, we were looking for new ways to cook vegetables and fruits. This book is educational in so many ways. First, it talks about buying vegetables and fruits in season and lists the "in season" time. Secondly, each section talks about what to look for and how to preserve fruits and vegetables, and thirdly, it provides a variety of recipes to utilize all of your fruits and veggies. We are looking forward to trying all of these recipes this season. It was recommended to me by a friend and am happy to recommend it to you! (Also, again, Amazon delivered this product before the scheduled date. A nice surprise to come home to.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Done!, May 31, 2011
Beautiful and user-friendly, this is a great resource! Divided by vegetable, each section starts with what to look for when buying the item, brief basic information on what it is and how to use it, and tips on working with it. Three recipes highlighting the ingredient follow, along with a beautiful full-page photo of one of them. Grouped by category (beans & peas, cabbages & crucifers, etc), recipes are easy to find and brief. No extensive preparations or complicated processes here!

I appreciated the variety of vegetables covered and the general appeal of the recipes; there were few I'd have to worry about guests or family not being comfortable with. Definitely a keeper destined to be much appreciated this summer!

5.0 out of 5 stars Freshness Counts - Highly Recommended, June 12, 2012
This review is from: Cooking from the Farmers' Market (Paperback)
"Cooking from the Farmer's Market" is a very good collection of recipes that focus on using fresh ingredients from local Farmer's Markets, but it is also a good guide for selecting the best in season fare as well. I grew up in an area that had a very good Farmer's Market where we purchased a good amount of the food we didn't grow or raise ourselves and this book would have been very helpful to my parents.

The first chapters are on the author's reasoning for shopping locally, buying organic and seasonal foods, and what to expect at the Farmer's Market. This is good reading before heading out to your first trip to a local market, but it is also worthwhile even if you are experienced. These sections might also be a good reading choice for vegetarians, but a lot of the recipes do include meat and dairy products.

The actual recipe section is focused mainly on Vegetables and Fruits, and includes helpful buying and preparation tips. The recipes tend to be on the simple side, with three or four to a page, and are presented in an almost minimalistic fashion. The pictures are generally good quality but are not really geared to help in the recipe preparation, which is my only real issue with this cookbook.

This is a very worthwhile cookbook for those with access to Farmer's Markets and grower's cooperatives.

Highly Recommended!

CFH

4.0 out of 5 stars Restaurant quality food, February 3, 2014
When I received this book I very nearly sent it back because I didn't think it would be one that I'd pick up to use over and over. But, I thought I'd give it a shot by cooking the Sweet Potato Beef Stir fry. I'm so glad I did, because it was really really good. Then, I tried the Beef and Broccoli Stir fry - better than any I've ever ordered at a restaurant! So, I decided to keep the book. I can't wait for our Farmer's Market to start back up in the spring!

I also really like how this book clearly charts what vegetables can be found in which season. Then, sorts recipes by the vegetable. I like when cookbooks have a picture with each recipe, and this book does not. There are 3 recipes per page with a picture of one recipe. But, that is a good indicator that most of these recipes are simple and fairly easy to prepare.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not Great., October 30, 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars This is one fantastic Farmers Market cookbook, November 14, 2014
Katherine E. Irvine (Chesterfield, Mo USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cooking from the Farmers' Market (Paperback)
This is one fantastic Farmers Market cookbook. We planted our first garden in 30 years and it is laid out by vegetable. So it is much easier to use. The recipes are great. We haven't found one we didn't think was yummy. And they also explain a bunch of stuff about each type of vegetable that was quite elucidating!

5.0 out of 5 stars User friendly and completely practical, June 17, 2010
I just received my copy of this book and am very impressed with how it is laid out. While not all recipes have pictures, many others do, but what is most impressive is the descriptions given before each individual chapter on the particular vegetable/fruit and the simplicity of preparation. I've got a trip planned to the market coming up and cannot wait to get my hands on some sugar snap peas and strawberries, just to give a go at some of the recipes in these respective sections.

5.0 out of 5 stars Farmers' Market Cooking, October 23, 2013
I rarely shop at farmer's markets as I live a good distance from any in my area, but I have used this excellent reference in preparing foods that I grow at home . The foods presented as well as the photos encourage a person to want to get started cooking right away.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Cooking from the Farmers' Market
Cooking from the Farmers' Market by Tasha DeSerio (Paperback - June 12, 2012)
$24.95 $18.28