5.0 out of 5 stars great inspiration for your childs next meal
Published on April 21, 2009 by Sonoma mom

3.0 out of 5 stars Not great for parents, good gift for older child
As advertised, this book is supposed to be about cooking with your kids. But for parents, I think it is fairly worthless. Really - how many parents don't know how to boil corn-on-the-cob? And most of the recipes are pretty standard things most people know how to make or already have a recipe for.

I do think this would be a good gift for an older child who is...
Published on August 27, 2010 by FroggyMama

5.0 out of 5 stars great inspiration for your childs next meal, April 21, 2009
Sonoma mom (Sonoma county) - See all my reviews
We have a toddler at home, and this book if a wonderful resource for us, the parents who know how to cook, but who need simple reminders of what little kids actually like to eat.And we were tired of cooking frozen processed food for our baby that he loves but we knew we could do better.So now we can turn to any page and be inspired to fix a wholesome meal for the entire family. Our usual meals were overly complicated for his tastes, but this books offers wonderful ideas that we can very easily embellish to meet our more grown up tastes, although the recipes are very lovable on their own. We couldn't put it down the first night we got it. And the step by step instructions are actually nice reminders of how to get back to basics. Its also a great gift for any family with young kids.

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful, cool book, October 9, 2008
First off, this book looks great-- visually, all that stuff. Retro, but in the nicest possible way. The recipes start simple, but they offer additions that grow in complexity. There are also unusual ideas we'd never thought of (like avocados on whole wheat bread-- yum) and the things with potatoes are really cool. Well designed, useful, and what kid isn't curious about food?

5.0 out of 5 stars grea new book!, October 10, 2008
I heard about this darling book on the radio and went right out and bought it for my kids. It has everything a beginning cook needs to get started in the kitchen; simple healthy beverages (as well as homemade chocolate sauce for chocolate milk), classic meals, lots of simple veggies, and great quick breads, cakes, and cookies. It even has a "how to measure" and "terms for cooking " in the front section and tips for having a green kitchen. The pictures are vintage and the recipes are clear and simple to read. My kids love being able to make their own snacks. Great idea and great value.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful gift for a child you love, November 4, 2008
I bought this book as a gift for my 11 year-old daughter. She was initially skeptical, being more inclined to want electronic gadgets, but was quickly captivated and excited by the gift. It is an extraordinarily beautiful book, somehow combining old-fashioned imagery with a modern visual intensity. Once you pick it up and start looking at it, it is hard to put it down. As a cookbook, it is perfect for beginners. The book is spiral bound and lies open on the table while you cook, and the pages are sturdy enough for a young chef's hands. The recipes are simple, appealing, varied, and often nutritious. There is a section at the beginning that explains common cooking terms and techniques in simple language. There is a section at the back where your child can collect additional recipes for her or his collection. The book includes a table of measurement conversions (how many teaspoons in a tablespoon and the like), and another that offers substitutions for various ingredients. In short, everything you need! I highly recommend this cookbook for children from toddlers to early teens, and think that you will enjoy it as much as your child will. My daughter is resolved to make very single recipe in the book (except the peanut butter cookies), and I look forward to helping her with the project. This book explains cooking so clearly, however, that she may not need my help at all!

5.0 out of 5 stars best cookbook EVER!, March 17, 2011
This review is from: Cooking Fun: 121 Simple Recipes to Make with Kids (Hardcover-spiral)
Not only do my kids love everything we've tried from this book, but, I find myself referring to it more often than my basic Betty Crocker cookbook! I have several "kids" cookbooks, but this one, by far, is the best! The recipes have a classic, old-fashioned feel, are easy to prepare, and all are things my kids would actually eat! You won't be disappointed with this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Kids will love this, March 13, 2011
My kid really loves cooking. This book really suits her. And even though she is only 6, she enjoys reading this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple pleasures for parent and child, March 9, 2010
My six year-old daughter has always loved to cook and help prepare meals. It is a simple, uncomplicated activity that the two of us can engage in together. I was fortunate enough to win this book in a contest and we have made such good use of it! My daughter loves to just flip through this book, read it and look at the charming vintage-style pictures. The recipes remind me of some that were in my grandmother's recipe cardbox, which I inherited. Not "low-fat", not complicated, just simple and delicious. We have made cupcakes, rolls, and my daughter's favorite, knothole eggs. The bound style enables the book to lay flat and you can easily flip the pages while preparing each dish. My daughter and I highly recommend this charming book!

5.0 out of 5 stars cooking fun, May 29, 2010
John Blankenship (Tacoma, WA. United States) - See all my reviews
It is a excellent book for the young children who wants to learn to cook.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not great for parents, good gift for older child, August 27, 2010

I do think this would be a good gift for an older child who is interested in cooking by themselves, it presents the recipes (which are "classics") in a simple format that a kid could read and prepare on their own. So I will probably be saving this for my little guy, to give him when he gets older and would like to make some meals on his own.

3.0 out of 5 stars Old fashion fun, December 15, 2009
I got this for my daughter and I so we could do something other than watch movies. I should have looked into it more. The stuff is very old fashion ideas. The book looks like something from the 50's. It does have lots of stuff to cook and they are pretty easy to make.

Cooking Fun: 121 Simple Recipes to Make with Kids
Cooking Fun: 121 Simple Recipes to Make with Kids by Rae Grant (Hardcover-spiral - September 30, 2008)
$19.95 $7.98