5.0 out of 5 stars A Hit for Busy Cooks!
Published on March 29, 2008 by D. Crafton

1.0 out of 5 stars Uses lots of prepackaged food
I ordered this sight unseen to give as a gift, along with a pressure cooker. It is NOT what I was looking for, and so am sending it back. I'm writing the review so you can decide if it is a fit for you.

Published on December 10, 2007 by L. Cusumano

1.0 out of 5 stars Uses lots of prepackaged food, December 10, 2007
This review is from: Cooking Healthy with a Pressure Cooker: A Healthy Exchanges Cookbook (Paperback)

Many - most - recipes in this cookbook include ingredients like "Healthy Request" soups, Kraft parmesan "style" cheese, I Can't Believe It's Not Butter margarine, Minute Rice, and Splenda. This is a bit different from what I had in mind when I read the description of "low-fat, low-sugar" and "healthy." I usually look for natural ingredients, as much as possible, rather than prepackaged, and that's what my expectation was for this book.

The recipes may well taste just fine, but my personal preference is to cook with ingredients as close to natural as possible - so if that is what you are looking for too, look elsewhere.

I do believe Ms. Lund is right on track in encouraging healthy eating. If it works for you in improving your eating to use some of the ingredients she includes, then go for it! Every step in the right direction is a good one.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Hit for Busy Cooks!, March 29, 2008
I bought an electric pressure cooker in anticipation of this book's arrival. As someone who is a working mom, a student, a caring and busy wife, on top of wanting to lose weight.......this book is what you want. The recipes are simple, they are fast. If you have the kind of time it takes to spend all day chopping and prepping, then this book might not be what you are looking for. I know if I cook a recipe out of this book, most of the time my kid will eat it and like it. My husband always appreciates a hot, fresh meal on the table and this helps me keep both of them happy. I also love that I'm able to eat the same meal with them and not throw off my weight loss plan in the least.

1.0 out of 5 stars poor excuse for healthy cookbook, October 24, 2009
Grammy Geek (Dracut, Massachusetts) - See all my reviews
I was pretty disappointed with the recipes in this book. I haven't found a single recipe that appeals to me. The book is full of recipes recommending "brand specific" ingredients such as cans of tomato soup, cans of beans or a packages of frozen mixed vegetables.

I'd like to use my pressure cooker to prepare fresh food.

I'll keep the book because every once in a while its nice to make a quickie meal from the emergency shelf., but I don't think it will ever land a spot with my favorites.

Can you imagine making corned beef & cabbage with frozen sliced carrots and packages of shredded corned beef and cream of mushroom soup?

4.0 out of 5 stars PRESSURE COOKING FOR THE HEALTH CONCIOUS, February 22, 2009
I purchased this cook book after a recommendation from my Weight Watcher leader....when I went to Amazon and found it listed and at such a low price, I was so excited! I received it very fast and recommend it to anyone who has a pressure cooker....great and easy recipes!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Healthy?, March 5, 2010
I was hoping to find some new and healthy recipes for my pressure cooker in this cookbook, but was disappointed. I don't eat pork as it isn't a healthy meat, in my opinion, yet there were pork recipes included. Also, there were many recipes with creamed soups, worcestershire sauce, beef broth and beef bouillion which are filled with MSG. Monosodium glutamate causes many people to become ill. I also don't believe artificial sweeteners, such as Splenda, are good for your health, either. The book did have several healthy recipes, but not enough to call it a totally "healthy" cookbook. The author made a good attempt at cutting down the fat, etc. in the recipes by using low fat products and light margarine, but it still left a lot to be desired in the way of really healthy meals.

2.0 out of 5 stars All recipes require LOW psi setting - Caveat Emptor!!!, July 2, 2012
All these recipes require a more expensive dual pressure cooker. That 10 psi WalMart won't cut it.
BESIDES
Useless table of contents. Useless Index. Extensive use of brand names in ingredients. Why would you ever use Uncle Ben's minute rice in a pressure cooker? (Pfaugh) ( I later learned that minute rice has a lower glycemic index) Lot's and Lot's of canned food usage.
In short, fit enough for Iowans perhaps.
And the nutrition information on the recipes is in unreadable mouse print.
I give it a C plus on the recipes IF you have a low pressure capable cooker. But us Californicans turn our noses up at canned food and minute rice.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT book!, February 11, 2010
I read the reviews before purchasing this book and read one about a WW person who liked it. I'm so glad I purchased this book. It is one of my favorite cookbooks. If you are on WW, you will easily be able to figure your point value for all food items. The recipes are easy and really use what most people have already in their cupboards. I find I favor using my pressure cooker and use this recipe book 3 or more times a week. I really did not use my pressure cooker before I had this cookbook because I wasn't really sure how to change the "regular" recipes into WW recipes easily. This makes the muss and fuss out of it. I love this book!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this recipe book., March 7, 2014
We have enjoyed so many of the recipes in this book! Most are simple to prepare and use healthy ingredients.

4.0 out of 5 stars I think its great, March 21, 2012
hba864 (washington) - See all my reviews
I am not thrilled with everything in the book but seriously if you don't like an ingredient just tweak it, like the I can't beleive its not butter they like that a lot apparently and splenda nothing wrong with it but umm I don't like it its like sweet n low I just don't want it sooo instead of that where they call for it I would personally use palm sugar because its healthy too..so what im saying is don't fuss just replace it with something you normally use, the point of a recipe is to make it your own it not set in stone and sorry but this book has some seriously great ideas and quick! I really like it I feel its under appreciated.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I was looking for, February 22, 2011
This book is not for cooking with an electric pressure cooker. If you have the old fashion kind it looks like a good book.

Cooking Healthy with a Pressure Cooker: A Healthy Exchanges Cookbook
Cooking Healthy with a Pressure Cooker: A Healthy Exchanges Cookbook by Barbara Alpert (Paperback - December 4, 2007)
$16.95 $14.13