Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Cooking for Isaiah: Gluten-Free & Dairy-Free Recipes for Easy Delicious Meals
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Melvins Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Showing 1-5 of 5 reviews(2 star). Show all reviews
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have created and cooked with gluten free recipes for a very long time. I have also felt it important to make sure that all recipes are health oriented, meaning no sugar, white flour, or other unhealthy ingredients as they tend to prolong or worsen the causes of gluten intolerance.

I carefully read through the recipes in this book. My daughter made a few of them, but in order for us to eat them, we had to make some changes as there is a lot of sugar, white rice flour, and other unhealthy ingredients in these recipes.

These recipes can be easily altered to fit diets that prefer whole grains (quinoa, brown rice flour, buckwheat etc), no-sugar, non-processed foods, and limited or no meats. The thing with that is, for that, there are a LOT of other recipe books that are more suited toward a healthier gluten free approach.

To sum it up, if you really are not fussy about ingredients and your only aspiration in making recipes is to have them be limited in gluten, this book might be perfect for you. If you are interested in whole grains, vegan or vegetarian foods, non-sugar recipes, or really creative health oriented recipes that are a step beyond every day recipes in the average American diet, you probably will not be that interested in this book.

I am disappointed in this book. Although we were able to make a few recipes which were okay (trying to keep them as close to the original as possible without risking allergic reaction) there is not much in this book that excites me much. Books such as Vegan with a Vengeance or Fresh have a lot simpler gluten free recipes which are more health oriented.
44 comments|20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 7, 2012
I've tried several recipes from this book, and have yet to have one come out the way it should. I consider myself a pretty experienced cook and baker, but no luck with these recipes. My dumplings dissolve in the water, my cupcakes (made three times) all come out differently at the end (not always eatable) and there was absolutely no making a cake shape out of the shrimp risotto cakes.

I also was grossly disappointed that the first 5+ recipes in the vegetable section are either for potatoes or onions. Sorry, but french fries aren't vegetables in my book.

The spirit of the recipes is great - they all look and sound amazing. They just don't execute the way the author intended. I'd save your money.
on October 15, 2010
This book is inspiring and beautiful, containing many wonderful recipes for anyone who is not very sensitive to Gluten. It is also very grain heavy, something some of us who have Celiac and gone GF have had to eliminate from our diet's because of severe Cross Contamination problems. Many of the ingredients used in the recipes are hard to find in a non-contaminated state. Isaiah must not be a very sensitive Celiac, because Ms. Nardone's recipes would be almost 100% off limits to my 2 children with Celiac because of the ingredients in them. She makes eating GFCF sound
SO easy---just a simple switch in ingredients. But the truth is, it can be much harder due to cross contamination and ingredients not listed on labels.
1111 comments|10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 6, 2012
Based on the reviews and description, I had high hopes of finding a lot of grain-free recipes in this book. Most of the recipes in this book call for rice flour, rice milk, cornmeal, tapioca, potato starch, and/or xanthum gum. That's not a bad thing for most people. The book is not appropriate for those with gluten allergies. Intolerances, fine. Allergies, no.

The product description also makes it sound like there are plenty of options to substitute ingredients listed. Not really. There's one substitute for the author's flour recipe: "all purpose flour". There's one substitute for the author's pancake mix: "store bought pancake mix." In all, there are seven substitutions listed and they are all quite uninspiring. Can't use vegetable shortening? Well you're in luck because unsalted butter is listed as the substitute. Can't have corn or rice pasta? That's ok, there's a substitute listed: Durum wheat pasta. I won't go into the other three substitutions listed. I can't give away the author's entire substitution list, now can I? Most of the substitutions direct people right back to wheat or dairy. Not helpful. I might expect that from a general cookbook, but not from one that is marketed as being gluten and dairy free. It would be nice if the substitutions were also gluten and dairy free.

If you're cooking for someone with dairy and/or gluten intolerances, this is a beautiful book. The photos are plentiful and mouth-watering. The author has presented a very nice array of tastes and combinations. It should get high marks for that. My rating is low because I believe it is being marketed incompletely. For people with gluten allergies (who sometimes have to avoid all grains, not just wheat)it's hard to know in advance that this book is geared toward those who can still eat grains and the much-hyped substitution list falls very short of expectations.
on October 28, 2015
Huge. Definitely not sized for a child. My 5 year old was going to use this for part of his Halloween costume -- not going to happen.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse