Featured Recipe: Cast-Iron Apple Cobbler
Yield: 10 servings (serving size: about 3/4 cup). For a small gathering, halve the recipe and bake in a 12-inch cast-iron skillet.
- 6.75 ounces all-purpose flour (about 11/2 cups), divided
- 12 cups thinly sliced peeled Fuji apple (about 4 pounds)
- 2/3 cup sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine 2.25 ounces flour (about 1/2 cup), apple, 1/3 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons butter, vanilla, 1/2 teaspoon salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a large bowl, tossing well. Spoon into a large cast-iron Dutch oven. Add 1/2 cup water.
- Combine remaining 4.5 ounces flour (about 1 cup), remaining 1/3 cup sugar, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and baking powder in a medium bowl; cut in 1/4 cup butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add buttermilk; stir just until moist. Drop batter by tablespoonfuls over apple mixture. Bake at 375° for 1 hour or until bubbly and browned. Serve warm.
CALORIES 257; FAT 7.4g (sat 4.5g, mono 1.9g, poly 0.4g); PROTEIN 3.2g; CARB 46.1g; FIBER 2.3g; CHOL 19mg; IRON 1.1mg; SODIUM 349mg; CALC 96mg