Published on September 24, 2011 by LeGrow

3.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Recipes, But Not Very "Light"
I'm torn in how I feel about this recipe book.

On the one hand, everything in it is absolutely delicious-looking; there are gorgeous photos; and it provides some really cool explanations/"tips & tricks" on various types of ingredients and how what their roles are in baking (this is probably my favorite feature of this book!).

On the other...
Published 12 months ago by GoBlue

5.0 out of 5 stars Yummy recipes, beautiful photos - another winner from Cooking Light's Way To... series, September 24, 2011
This review is from: Cooking Light Way to Bake: The Complete Visual Guide to Healthy Baking - delicious recipes, fresh healthy ingredients, smart tools & techniques (Hardcover)
I have been a fan of the Cooking Light magazine for over 10 years. I pre-ordered this book as soon as I heard about it. I have both prior books - Cooking Light Way to Cook Vegetarian & Cooking Light Way to Cook, which I use weekly. I do a lot of cooking/baking for my family and I especially love cookbooks which focus on healthier ingredients and less fat. Here's what I love about it:

1. Photos - This book is filled with photos. I love that - food is so visual. Most recipes have a photo of the finished dish plus special "Kitchen How-To" photos which demonstrate techniques such as the step-by-step process of making monkey bread muffins.

2. Ease of Recipe - The recipes in this book are easy to make. The instructions are clear and the steps are straightforward. Most recipes have only 3-5 steps; these are not fussy or time-consuming baked goods to make. The addition of the step-by-step technique photos for most recipes makes cooking fun and stress-free. No need to guess whether you are shaping and filling your chocolate-hazelnut thumbprint cookies properly, just follow the photos!

3. Nutritional Information - Maybe not important to everyone, but I look for this. Each recipe contains detailed nutritional information such as calories, total fat, saturated fat, monounsaturated fat, polyunsaturated fat, protein, carbohydrates, fiber, cholesterol, iron, sodium and calcium.

4. Food that Tastes Great - Of course the recipes have to work and these deliver. The recipes I've tried produce wonderful, moist baked goods. This book has a great variety to choose from - muffins & quick breads, biscuits & scones, waffles & pancakes, cookies & biscotti, bars & squares, cakes & cupcakes, pies & other pastries, souffles, and yeast breads.

A couple of areas to improve:
- I'd prefer if the binding wasn't hardcover but was spiral bound or a binder (like The America's Test Kitchen Healthy Family Cookbook - another favorite) so it would lie open on my counter.
- I'd also like to see more recipes that include some whole wheat flour.

A heads-up to any avid Cooking Light recipe collectors - if you have been a dedicated collector of recipes from the Cooking Light magazine over the years, as I have, then you may recognize a few favorites.

Bottom-line: I highly recommend this book to anyone who is interested in healthier lower-fat baked goods. Definitely try the recipes for: Butterscotch Blondies, Sticky Date and Coconut Cake, Anise Tea Crescents, Coconut cupcakes with Lime Buttercream Frosting and Autumn Maple Cutout Cookies!

5.0 out of 5 stars Get it, you'll like it., October 18, 2011
Tihaitien "Live and Love" (Tallahassee, Florida United States) - See all my reviews
I whole heartedly recommend this book to anyone who loves baking, has thought about baking and wants to learn how to bake. This cookbook not only has pictures for almost every recipe but also includes pictures of some of the steps and techniques used in the recipes. My personal favorite thing about this book is the very first chapter "Way to bake" which it provide information on ingredients, techniques and equipment. Yes, this is not a unique thing for this book, a lot of cookbooks provide much more of this to the point where you're not interested in reading it. But the way the information was presented actually made me stop and read that section instead of flipping by it and going straight to the recipes. The how-to check if your baking soda or baking powder is old was so simple it was genius. I always through them out and bought more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful & Informative, February 21, 2012
As soon as I spotted Cooking Light Way to Bake: The Complete Visual Guide to Healthy Baking - delicious recipes, fresh healthy ingredients, smart tools & techniques a few months back I knew I wanted to take it home and add it to my ever-expanding cookbook collection.

As the editors explain, "Cooking Light Way to Bake is a celebration of the joy of baking and the pleasure healthier baked treats can bring. Light baking has its own set of techniques, and this book is filled with more than 600 full-color photos showing you exactly how to prepare a wide variety of delectable baked goods, so you get perfect results every time you bake."

This book is perfect for anyone wanting to learn to bake in a lighter and healthier way, without sacrificing flavor and texture, which is what Cooking Light is all about.

Lighter baking can be tricky so technique is important. The book teaches the secrets to light baking success and includes hundreds of tips, as well as, nutrition information.

Chapters Include, Way to Bake; Muffins & Quick Breads; Biscuits & Scones; Waffles, Pancakes & Crepes; Cookies & Biscotti, Bars & Squares; Cakes & Cupcakes; Pies, Tarts, Cobblers & Pastries; Custard, Puddings & Souffles; and Yeast Breads

Here's what I especially love about Cooking Light Way to Bake:

Chapter 1 - "Way to bake" which provides loads of helpful information on ingredients, techniques and equipment.

Photos - This book is filled with gorgeous photos and lots of step-by-step photo demonstrations of various techniques from baking a batch of biscuits to whipping up a souffle.

Easy Great Tasting Recipes - The recipes in this book are doable even for beginners. The instructions are clear and the steps are straightforward. And more importantly, the results taste great.

Nutritional Information - Now that I'm back with Weight Watchers, this is important for me to be able to calculate the PointsPlus values of what I am baking and eating.

This is a great book for anyone who is interested in making healthier lower-fat baked goods that deliver delicious results.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Recipes, But Not Very "Light", January 31, 2014
GoBlue "klynnf" (Ann Arbor, MI USA) - See all my reviews
I'm torn in how I feel about this recipe book.

On the other hand, I bought this book not because I needed another baking recipe book with lovely pictures and delicious recipes...but because I wanted a book that provided this with the addition of a "healthy/light" facet. I feel as though I am a fairly diligent Amazon.com shopper, and did my due diligence in reading the reviews, comparing with other products, and taking a "virtual tour" of the book via Amazon's "Look Inside" feature. When looking through the book online, it seemed as though the example recipes given were reasonably "light" compared to their traditional counterparts. But upon receiving the book and going through all of the recipes, it seemed like the calorie content was...well, normal, not "light". Many recipes' calorie content was at 300 calories or above per serving. I guess I just expected these to be a bit lower.

That all being said, one of the reasons I chose this book was because I loved the fact that it didn't just substitute out sugar for splenda, and things of that nature. The recipes still use "real" ingredients, and maybe I shouldn't have had such high expectations with regard to the calorie content because of this.... But, I did, and so I do feel a bit disappointed on that front.

All in all, I do like the book, but won't really be going to it for "light" recipes, but will rather use it as a traditional baking recipe book. I think I'll continue my search for the perfect low-cal bake-book.

5.0 out of 5 stars great find, April 26, 2013
Horseman (Chandler, Az. United States) - See all my reviews
this book has tone of great recipes - tons, from different catagories like muffins, cakes, scones, yeast breads etc. they all look awesome. this book isnt for the knock the socks off of your guests recipes- though they are company worthy- but this book is perfect for a person who is making a lifestyle change to making their diet more healthy. it has basic recipes and old time favorites redone (plus new original ones) to be a little better for you than before but still have flavor. this isnt for "diet prison" its for better living.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great introduction to baking!, February 19, 2013
I've always been a huge fan of Cooking Light. I've read their magazines for years, and I own one of their other cookbooks, which I love. This book on baking is no disappointment! It's great for beginner bakers because it contains so many instructional pictures and informative details. It's very clear and clean in its presentation. In the past week, I've made recipes for pancakes, rolls, and biscotti, and they've all turned out excellent! I couldn't be more satisfied with this purchase! I highly recommend this book for anyone looking to learn yummy and healthy baking! It's great for novices!

5.0 out of 5 stars Yey! happy it worked!, December 15, 2012
i used several recipe to make white bread, from Kitchen Aid's recipe book to various online sources, but this one explained the procedures with care.

I thought i could just pull off a recipe online so there's no need to spend money, but as a newbie in baking, no one bothered to explain about yeast in warm water so many times I just dumped the yeast, cold ingredients and so.

This book explained everything. it was concise and easy to read. My white bread turned out perfectly . i will post the photo soon. THe bread is the best according to my husband.

Now that Ive learned the science and simple processes--- i can be more creative like adding butter to obtain that Asian sponge-like bread.

This Cooking Light: Way to Bake is a keeper!!! ( i also have the slow cooker cooking light and it seems like these series work)

5.0 out of 5 stars who doesn't love cheddar bay biscuits?, June 11, 2013
Yes, there is a copycat cheddar bay biscuit recipe in here that is delicious. The instructions are all easy to follow and the food turns out as expected. My favorite thing about this book is that every recipe has nutrition facts listed. This book has let me figure out how to incorporate baked treats into my diet and still stay on track.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally: Baking without all the guilt !!, April 27, 2013
I loved the beginning of the book where they list baking ingredients and how they work. Good information. I love baking and am always looking for healthier and lighter options and feel that the recipes in this book are, at least, a bit healthier than the traditional recipes. The first recipe I tried was the oatmeal, pecan and chocolate chip cookies and they were enjoyed by myself, my husband and my co-workers. Great feed back which is always an added reward to the whole baking experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book!, February 14, 2013
I purchased this cookbook in June of 2012. The first recipe I made was the lemon layer cake pictured on the front. I brought it to my mom's birthday party with family and everyone absolutely loved it! It was excellent. I made it for work a few weeks later and it got rave reviews from my co-workers too. I've also made the chocolate mint brownies and I've found that I can only make them if I'm bringing them somewhere where I won't have any leftovers...they are THAT good! I've made a few more items out of the book, but those two recipes were outstanding. You do need a certain skill level as some of the recipes (like the lemon cake) are a little more involved, but it has great pictures and instructions. Also, I like that they list the flour by weight and by volume. They recommend measuring by weight and I did and was very happy with the end result.

I love to bake and my family loves sweets, so this is a perfect cookbook for me. I highly recommend this book!