4.0 out of 5 stars Great, visual aid for beginning-intermediate cooks
Published on October 29, 2009 by Elle

3.0 out of 5 stars Misprinted recipe
Published on April 14, 2010 by Laura B.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Misprinted recipe, April 14, 2010
This review is from: Cooking Light Way to Cook: The Complete Visual Guide to Everyday Cooking (Hardcover)
I did not purchase this book from Amazon (although I absolutely love Amazon) however felt very compelled to comment. I made the Angel Food Cake for a family dinner party and was completely shocked to learn after the fact that the Angel Food Cake recipe has a terrible misprint. I've never made Angel Food Cake from scratch before so I was a bit ignorant about the ingredients. When I put my batter into the pan, something just didn't seem right. Well, come to find out the recipe called for 2 egg whites when in fact it should have been 12! I went to another CL cookbook that had the exact same recipe but called for 12 egg whites. I called the company plus emailed them and never received a response. How dissappointing for a cookbook as well known as CL. If it hadn't been for the misprint and lack of response from the company, I would have rated this product higher. Anyone else's book have this misprint?

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, visual aid for beginning-intermediate cooks, October 29, 2009
UPDATE 12/2/09: Someone commented that his copy of Way to Cook had glossy paper --- I visited a local bookstore this evening, and it seems my copy must be from an earlier batch or a different printer, because the pages were indeed glossy. Just wanted to clear that up with everyone and also mention that I didn't order my copy from Amazon. I bought it at Borders about a week after it was released, so feel free to take your chances glossy-page-wise.

REVIEW:

I'm a big fan of Cooking Light and have several of their compendiums and a few years worth of their magazines, so was quite excited to pick this up a few days ago. Basically, this book is like a collection of the occasional "how to" pages in the Cooking Light cookbooks. Overall, it's a useful book for the beginning-intermediate cook, with helpful colorful, illustrations on how to make a souffle, make Asian dumplings, and cut a mango. As this is a reference book, rather than a recipe collection, there aren't as many recipes as other Cooking Light cookbooks, but the ones provided are thoughtful and classic, with a few surprises that I haven't seen before in other collections (like char siu bao - Chinese BBQ pork buns).

A couple gripes: the book is a thick hardback, but the pages look like the newspaper type - a little grainy and cardboardish. Maybe I'm a too picky about these finer points, but I prefer my cookbooks to have glossy pages, especially since this is a visual aid you're likely to have it propped up while you're cooking. I'm a bit accident-prone, so it'd be nice if the pages were a little more substantial in case I should spill something...

Also, I wish that the layout of the cookbook were a little more intuitive. From the table of contents, which is organized by cooking method, it's not always clear where I'll find the way to cut an avocado, or how to debone a chicken. I think separating sections by food groups might have been more helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't love to cook, but I LOVE this book, December 29, 2009
I'm a novice in the kitchen and healthy eating is important to me. I love that this has an abundance of recipes, contains beautiful photos & teaches me quite a bit. I've already toasted almonds & made dumplings. I recommend it, especially to those who still have a thing or two to learn in the kitchen.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Primer with International flair, May 13, 2010
For some, the kitchen is a playground. a place of fun and creativity. For others cooking is merely a utilitarian function, necessary for survival, and nothing more. This book helps bridge the gap, providing basic instruction in the methods of cooking and preparing food with easy and tasty recipes with international flair.

The instructions are clear and the book has beautiful, bright photographs.The recipes are fairly simple and straightforward but not dumbed down. There is plenty of flavor and variety, including chinese dumplings, peach mojitos and chocolate souflees. (Many of the recipes have appeared in Cooking Light magazine.) Although I purchased this book for my brother, I wound up making the dinner rolls,the afore mentioned dumplings and mojitos with satisfactory results. My brother is actually enjoying it. He has perfected his omlet making skills and now appreciates the importance of toasting nuts. Again, the emphasis is on technique and as with all Cooking Light compilations, the ingredients are natural and fresh. You will use eggs, butter, salt and sugar although in lesser amounts than in traditional recipes.

So while you can surivve without ever seeding a pommegrante, peeling a mango or making a soufle, life is much tastier when you do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Beginners Cook Book, March 17, 2012
Looking for a present for my son, I came across this cook book.
What a truly wonderful book this is for a new chef in the making.
The receipes are delicious, and the pictures really made this book a hit with me.
They cover eveything from using the right tools, measurements,and little helpful tidbits
like adding an apple piece to keep your brown sugar soft in the freezer plus, how to get the meat out of a lobster.
Contents of this book cover how to boil,braise, grill, and bake so many different
meats, fish, chicken, meals.
Some of my favorite receipes were the"Sauteed Baby Squash with Basil and Feta",
"Bourbon-Pecan Tart with Chocolate Drizzle", and the tasty,"Carmelized Onion and Shiitake Soup
with Gruyere-Blue Cheese Toasts".
This is one book you shouldn't be without!
I do have to admit, I bought a copy for myself too.
I highly recommend this cook book.
**By the way........ on page 426, there is a recipe for "Classic Angel Food Cake".
There is a mistake for one of the ingredients.
It should read "12" egg whites" not just "2".
Thanks to those who pointed this out in other reviews on this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great beginning cooks reference, February 9, 2010
I actually ordered this book for myself and my son for Christmas. I'm a pretty good basic cook but am always interested in tips on how to lighten up my recipes and make them healthier. The book comes with many tips and illustrations on all types of cooking and techniques and is easy to follow. While it doesn't have the huge volume of recipes that come in a standard cookbook, it gives you the knowledge to adapt recipes from other sources competently.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the step-by-step PICTURES!!!!!!, July 5, 2010
I absolutely adore this cookbook because I was not taught in any way how to cook. This book is amazing because it does give you step-by-step pictures to take you through any cooking challenge. I've been teaching myself to cook by watching the Food network and using this book. There is a misprint in the angel food cake recipe (it calls for 2 egg whites instead of 12 apparently) but nonetheless the book is fantastic. I find it hard to believe that anyone could put out a book that doesn't have a misprint somewhere in the text. If you are curious about cooking and making yourself delicious healthy meals then this book is a must for your cookbook collection!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book for anyone that cooks, June 10, 2012
This book teaches you everything you want to know about cooking and food. Pages are thick so highlighting key points doesn't bleed through. No matter what your cooking skill is, this book has great info for you and also teaches you about many types of food.............a must have.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lickable and usable, March 15, 2012
DavisJes (Raleigh NC United States) - See all my reviews
Almost every page of this book makes me want to lick the pretty pictures. I love how they give step by step of all the processes and this is so packed with information. I can't wait to sit down and read it cover to cover. I got this as a 30 day trail and bookmarked so many things to copy I knew that I had to buy this book. Only complaint is that in the milk section it only talks about dairy milk but nothing about soy, almond or other alternate milks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book!!, February 22, 2012
I absolutely love this cookbook. It teaches me ways to cook with tons of illustrations. After reading and cooking for just 2 months, my cooking skill has already improved a lot. I highly recommend this book to any beginner cook.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Cooking Light Way to Cook: The Complete Visual Guide to Everyday Cooking
Cooking Light Way to Cook: The Complete Visual Guide to Everyday Cooking by Editors of Cooking Light Magazine (Hardcover - October 20, 2009)
$29.95 $19.86